Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

GT3 RS 4.0 steering wheel on my spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I agree that the red alcantara on the roof is a bit much but not over the top. I still think the red inserts would look absolutely awesome!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:52 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe best thing is to visit dealers in your area who may have either 2rs or 4.0 in stock, with the red trim.
open door. sit inside for 15 minutes. get out. then you'll know what you want.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe,
The wheel looks great. I was going to get the red leather in car, but when I found out I couldn't get the carpets in black with the red leather I passed. It would just be too much red. However, I do have a some plans to change the interior somewhat.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 928 Posts

Wheel looks awesome! When I upgraded my original Spyder's wheel to the Alcantara GTS wheel, I had zero regrets... This looks so nice! My next upgrade will be Bucket seats, but it'll be a few months away as the purchase of the Riviera sucked up my fun reserve funds!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Joe,
The wheel looks great. I was going to get the red leather in car, but when I found out I couldn't get the carpets in black with the red leather I passed. It would just be too much red. However, I do have a some plans to change the interior somewhat.
Thanks! Yeah, I think red leather is too much. The fellas with P77 sport seats have waay too much red. At least with the red buckets you get black alcantara inserts

Originally Posted by Cayman
Wheel looks awesome! When I upgraded my original Spyder's wheel to the Alcantara GTS wheel, I had zero regrets... This looks so nice! My next upgrade will be Bucket seats, but it'll be a few months away as the purchase of the Riviera sucked up my fun reserve funds!
Thanks! I agree. No regrets. Bucket seats with custom riviera blue alcantara inserts...?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I was going to get the red leather in car, but when I found out I couldn't get the carpets in black with the red leather I passed. It would just be too much red.
Jon, sorry you didn't get the right information from your dealer on this matter. Yes, you could have ordered deviating color carpet in black on a 'Carrera Red' interior for a Spyder. You will see it on mine when it arrives at my home shortly.

Option Code # 26431 Carpeting in Deviating Color $ 710.00

I was also concerned about the overwhelming sea of 'Carrera Red' on my Spyder's full leather interior. So I ordered mine with deviating carpet in black and Option XFZ (Add'l Alcantara® Interior Pkg $655.00) for the door panels and door handles/arm rest. That, in conjunction with the black alcantara inserts on the buckets (as Ortho pointed out) and the black dials and center part of the front console, helped me achieved a more 'balanced' Black/Red interior on the cabin of this Spyder. I will post photos late next week when the car arrives.

Overall, I think Porsche needs a better system to help all customers understand ALL the options available to us from both 'series' production and 'Porsche Exclusive', the special department in charge of customized items. If you do your homework right, or deal with an experienced dealer knowledgeable about all the intricacies of the order guides and Porsche Exclusive's special capabilities, you are able to do some interesting combinations - both in the exterior and interiors - on these cars. This is almost impossible to do with any other German marque for our US market (e.g BMW or Mercedes). So more of you should take advantage of what Porsche has to offer. But it is not an easy thing to do...it is a difficult journey!

I learned quite a bit from my ordering experience. I didn't get any help from a dealer since mine didn't have much experience with 'custom' orders. So it took me nearly four months of communications back & forth with Porsche Exclusive in Germany, and with others familiar with doing 'custom order' cars in forums like this one on Rennlist, to get my specification 'right', just as I wanted. But in the end, I was gratified that I was able to order a rather 'unique' Spyder, unlike any other I have seen on this US market. Saludos, z356
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eduardo lets see some pics of your car!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Eduardo lets see some pics of your car!
Car will be here in about one week and I will take photos. Attached is one shot of the black carpets in my Spyder with the 'Carrera Red' interior that my dealer sent ahead. Saludos, z356
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Love the red leather door sill! Speaking from experience, you're going to have some serious upkeep with that car.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Love the red leather door sill! Speaking from experience, you're going to have some serious upkeep with that car.
Yes, I am well aware. You need to pay attention each time you enter or exit the car as to not leave a mark on these things. I also put these leather sills on the PTS Signal Green .1 997 S, so I have some experience with the subject matter.

I am into automobiles at two different levels - the performance and the aesthetics. I need to combine them on each car I own. It is not an exercise for everyone and I don't pass judgement on those with an overwhelming practical sense which point them in the direction of a minimalist, mostly vinyl, black interior in their Spyders. But to me, this car is a thing of beauty as well as performance. And I will personally enjoy the sheer elegance & contrast of these 'Carrera Red' leather sills against the stark black carpets each time I open the door to my Spyder! z356
Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

z356,
Thanks for letting me know. I wish I would have known this before, but is it possible it wasn't available last year? My car was built in May or June 2010. If it was, I figure most dealers then didn't know about it since yours is the first photo I've come across with the deviating carpet. Your car will be amazing.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Z356, your car is going to look awesome. Can't wait to see more pics
Old 09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Z356, your car is going to look awesome. Can't wait to see more pics
You and me both! Looks amazing!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Is it possible it wasn't available last year? My car was built in May or June 2010. If it was, I figure most dealers then didn't know about it since yours is the first photo I've come across with the deviating carpet. Your car will be amazing.
I am sorry to tell you this but it was available then. Back when I did my research in all the forums, I found this ONE Carrara White/Carrera Red Spyder done with deviated carpet in black. It took me days to do this research in every Porsche forum I could find. JpCourt's post is dated July of 2010 so his car must have been built in the Spring of 2010 - around the time of your production.

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/boxs...s-arrived.html

If you look closely, you will see other 'unusual' options he was able to order from the factory on his interior. From his 'garage', it appears that JPCourt is an experienced custom order customer. So I knew it could be done but it took a while to find out the right person(s) to contact at Porsche that knew how/what to order.

You will also see deviating carpeting in black on the Carrera Red interior of the Detroit Auto Show Spyder (the Meteor Grey currently for sale by PCNA). This one was built in late Fall of 2010. I just saw this car two weeks ago at Quail Lodge at the Porsche test driving site and I drove it in May at the autocross at South San Francisco during the Porsche World driving tour of America. And yes, the carpet is done in deviating black on this PTS Spyder.

http://www.dspyda.com/dspyda/Spyder_...Sample.html#45

So I think Deviating Carpeting in various colors have been allowed since day one on the Spyder. It was just never included in the PCNA 'configurator' and most Porsche dealers are clueless about the ordering process on their cars.

In summary, you really needed to want to do something different, and then do a ton of research on the Porsche ordering process, to KNOW really all that can be done on your special custom order car. For example, leather door sills were never offered as an option on the Spyder. Neither were leather console lids with crest (or without crest) and stitching. Rather than give up, I documented that they were available on the Cayman R and then I went to 'Porsche Exclusive' asking for them. Their response: 'Will get back to you with a price and/or whether it can be done'. This went on for two weeks - back & forth. Meanwhile, the rest of my Spyder order was already in the 'system' and could have gone into locked position at any moment (meaning I could NOT add anything else after this change in order status). After 2 weeks, they finally came back with a group price for all the special options I wanted on this car but which were not normally offered on the Spyder. I balked at the price and turned them down.

I will document how I finally got two of these unusual options - the leather door sills and the leather console lid with crest and stitching (see photo of it below) - when I post my definitive thread on the ordering process on my car. It is an interesting story and one that Rennlisters need to know to better help them understand how to order a custom car (PTS, custom interior, etc) from Porsche in the future.

Saludos, z356
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 09-04-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS 4.0 steering wheel on my spyder