Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Considering a Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, all.

I've really gotten tired of seeing nothing but black, grey and silver cars - that's why I'm so surprised that I like this. After PTS was denied, I must have gone back and forth on color at least a dozen times.

Chris, are you still getting yours in Oct/Nov?

Jack, I bought it at Hennessy, in your neighborhood. My salesman (Richard Jennings) and the whole process went amazingly well, especially when you consider the custom order, the Exclusive options and the distance. I highly recommend them. The AC in the new cars is amazing.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Steve - I've got a baby on the way in February, so I had to change course and ended up ordering a 2012 S4. I'm keeping my eye on the Cayman R, but it'll probably end up being a used one (or a Boxster Spyder!).

Love your car - it's perfect for CA. Definitely a daily driver...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti

Jack, I bought it at Hennessy, in your neighborhood. My salesman (Richard Jennings) and the whole process went amazingly well, especially when you consider the custom order, the Exclusive options and the distance. I highly recommend them. The AC in the new cars is amazing.
Thanks for the info, Steve. I've already discussed the ordering process with a Hennessey salesperson who was at a local cars & coffee thing a couple months ago. He showed up with a (highly optioned) R and I fell in love. He told me that the delivery time for a special order was 12 weeks which seems pretty quick.

Although I won't track it, the only option I want is A/C and I'll opt for the free base sound system as well. Now to find a buyer for mine this Winter. It's going to be a bit difficult to sell an older Carrera with deleted A/C in Atlanta until it cools off a bit outside! That will give me some time to decide on a color for the R. I'm really loving that silver...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Thanks!
Yes, it's Platinum Silver. It was my fallback color to my PAG-denied PTS colors.
I'm much happier with the color than I expected. It seems to change color with the lighting, not the angle.

The first 'mod' was the clear side markers.
Wow, the silver looks great! So simple, which is often the best...

pete
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 PM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked one up today (motivating me finally from mere lurker to actual member here). Looking forward to putting some miles on it shortly. The concept kept growing on me, and I decided to give it a shot. It will have to earn time out of the garage away from its cohort, the C4S, so it needs to be good!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
oscar94
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great pair!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:13 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

black looks great too! congrats.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I like how your two cars have the same wheel design - that's definitely my favorite 997 wheel design.

How did you get silver door pulls, seat belts, and shift **** trim in your R? Looks like you also have silver trim on the mats.

Great cars.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Steve - I've got a baby on the way in February, so I had to change course and ended up ordering a 2012 S4. I'm keeping my eye on the Cayman R, but it'll probably end up being a used one (or a Boxster Spyder!).

Love your car - it's perfect for CA. Definitely a daily driver...
Congratulations, that's exciting. An S4 should make a great family truckster.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jackb911
Thanks for the info, Steve. I've already discussed the ordering process with a Hennessey salesperson who was at a local cars & coffee thing a couple months ago. He showed up with a (highly optioned) R and I fell in love. He told me that the delivery time for a special order was 12 weeks which seems pretty quick.

Although I won't track it, the only option I want is A/C and I'll opt for the free base sound system as well. Now to find a buyer for mine this Winter. It's going to be a bit difficult to sell an older Carrera with deleted A/C in Atlanta until it cools off a bit outside! That will give me some time to decide on a color for the R. I'm really loving that silver...
I think Cayman R production ends in October or early November.

I'm guessing 12 weeks is about right if you don't have any 'issues'. It was worth the wait, but I had more than my fair share of bad luck and delays. If I deduct the month lost during Germany's August vacation, the month lost by attempting PTS (10 days waiting for PAG's decision became a month delay to the build date) and the the week it took for the Exclusive sun visors to be added), then 12 weeks is pretty close.

I'd highly recommend the Sport shifter, too.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kernelofwisdom
I picked one up today (motivating me finally from mere lurker to actual member here). Looking forward to putting some miles on it shortly. The concept kept growing on me, and I decided to give it a shot. It will have to earn time out of the garage away from its cohort, the C4S, so it needs to be good!
Congratulations. Black looks mean. You'll love it. It's an amazing car.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I like how your two cars have the same wheel design - that's definitely my favorite 997 wheel design.

How did you get silver door pulls, seat belts, and shift **** trim in your R? Looks like you also have silver trim on the mats.

Great cars.
The dealer had ordered it in like that as inventory. But I do like that with the rest of it.

Thanks guys for the positive comments. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute at some point, if through no other way than having my mistakes serve as lessons for others!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:19 AM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Congratulations. Black looks mean. You'll love it. It's an amazing car.
A silver car and a black car - not exactly pushing the limits on style choices. I agree though the Cayman looks good in black. I had a silver one before so it was time to branch out!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Owners reeeeaaally like these cars...get one...
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 PM
brabo66
Advanced

I have my 993 cab and love it. Before I bought it wad considering a CS. Wish I had room for both

Quick Reply: Considering a Cayman R