Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Don't hate me and call me a poser....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't hate me and call me a poser....

Ordered a 2012 Boxster Spyder and can't wait to take delivery. I'm new to Porsche, and certainly new to Spyders. I know I've made a great choice and there's a ton of real-world people and members of the press that back up my decision. So, here's where I solicit the hate mail...

Can I put a set of golf clubs in the back of this bad boy? Before you flame me, yes, I know the purpose of this vehicle. It's raw, and it's not meant for board meetings and golf outings! I love that the top is going to drive me crazy frome time to time. I love that I might get frustrated by carbon fiber single adjustment seats. I love that my wife is going to wonder where the NAVI and heated seats are and then ask what I've shelled out for this exotic sports car! With all that, I just want to know I can take the Spyder out when I do play golf every once and a while.

If you're a Spyder owner and willing to admit that you also play golf and have slipped those puppies in the trunk, let me know how that worked out for you.

john
Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats John, it is an absolutely amazing car! So tell us more about the car, what color, what options and when are you getting it?

Can't say I play golf but I think if you use a very small golf bag you might be able to squeeze it in the back. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

You can put individual clubs in the trunk, however your bag will be riding shotgun.

There is a Porsche golf bag that supposedly fits in the trunk, but then the clubs would have to ride up front.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 PM
bensf
Racer

You can definitely fit a set of golf clubs if you use a carry bag. I use the Sun Mountain Zero-G and my 45" driver fits fine. There is a You Tube video floating around showing someone fitting two sets of clubs.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 PM
jabbey
Advanced

I'll look for the formal responses.

I thought for sure, I would have been posting about a Guards Red 997.2, as the 911 in Guards Red was the car I envisioned buying since I was a boy. Now that I've come to the time where I could execute, during my search of all things sports cars, I see a random picture of a Spyder and now I'm here. The Spyder is the one for me, no questions and desire for the 911. In fact, my dream 911 (2009 or better) would cost me less, but I don't care!

Model Year 2012 in Guards Red
Roll Bars in Guards Red
Wheel Crest in Color
Bi-Xenon/Dynamic Lights
CDR-30 with Sound Plus
Porsche Sports Exhaust (A non-performance enhancing splurge, but can't wait and don't care!)
Sports Chrono
Sport Buckets
6-Speed MT
A/C
Cupholders, iPod, Bluetooth

Expected completion is 17 July, then it gets on a boat from there to VA USA.

The search started months ago with a couple of local dealers expecting cars to come in. However, there were delays, and these were cars with options I didn't care for (Wrong color, PCM, PDK, all the whistles leading to 85K prices). Color wasn't a negotiable deal for me. The Porsche in my minds eye for the last 20+ years has always been arrest-me Red. Finding a inventory Guards Red with a dealer, even with a national search was a bit like hunting unicorns. I switch to searching for a dealer with allocation. Then I find one. It's in state, but not local and no one I've dealt with. A July build that is changeable. Jackpot. I make sure it's not a mirage (get the PCNA forms, and proforma). It's real. All the local dealers I worked with in the initial hunt were gracious and understanding. They said, I have no allocations on the horizon and I should go for it. So I didn't hesitate. They'll have my service business for sure. On a business trip to San Diego in an attempt to sit my butt down in the buckets I've only seen pictures of, the dealer there indicates that the car is quite rare and seconds my decision to jump on the allocation when I did. They sold 7 total since inception and have no idea of when/if they will get more. I was sitting in this dealer and he had scads of 997s, 2 Turbo S models, and a new GT2-RS. No Spyders. I love the car that much more! I did get the chance to sit in a GT3 with the Carbon buckets. Perfection. I re-affirm my decision on seats. This will force me to stay in shape too!

Cannot wait to take possession!

John
Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Originally Posted by bensf
You can definitely fit a set of golf clubs if you use a carry bag. I use the Sun Mountain Zero-G and my 45" driver fits fine. There is a You Tube video floating around showing someone fitting two sets of clubs.
Yes. I've seen this crazy video. Every club removed, then squishes all the bags in there. Not exactly what I was hoping for!

Based on the other posts, looks like one right-sized bag, with an arrangement of a driver will get me there. That big stick is of-the-devil, so it should probably stay home anyway!

Thanks all.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I play golf. I don't think this is a poser question.

It fits. Sun Mountain 4.5 stand bag here. But had to take the driver(#1 metal wood) out. My bag just so happens, matches the car. My spyder is plat silver/carrera red. My bag is light gray with red trim. Imagine me, pulling up to the course, takes out color coordinated golf bag. I am going to look like a poser.

I am picking it up next week btw, for those who've been watching.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jabbey
I'll look for the formal responses.

I thought for sure, I would have been posting about a Guards Red 997.2, as the 911 in Guards Red was the car I envisioned buying since I was a boy. Now that I've come to the time where I could execute, during my search of all things sports cars, I see a random picture of a Spyder and now I'm here. The Spyder is the one for me, no questions and desire for the 911. In fact, my dream 911 (2009 or better) would cost me less, but I don't care!

Model Year 2012 in Guards Red
Roll Bars in Guards Red
Wheel Crest in Color
Bi-Xenon/Dynamic Lights
CDR-30 with Sound Plus
Porsche Sports Exhaust (A non-performance enhancing splurge, but can't wait and don't care!)
Sports Chrono
Sport Buckets
6-Speed MT
A/C
Cupholders, iPod, Bluetooth

Expected completion is 17 July, then it gets on a boat from there to VA USA.

The search started months ago with a couple of local dealers expecting cars to come in. However, there were delays, and these were cars with options I didn't care for (Wrong color, PCM, PDK, all the whistles leading to 85K prices). Color wasn't a negotiable deal for me. The Porsche in my minds eye for the last 20+ years has always been arrest-me Red. Finding a inventory Guards Red with a dealer, even with a national search was a bit like hunting unicorns. I switch to searching for a dealer with allocation. Then I find one. It's in state, but not local and no one I've dealt with. A July build that is changeable. Jackpot. I make sure it's not a mirage (get the PCNA forms, and proforma). It's real. All the local dealers I worked with in the initial hunt were gracious and understanding. They said, I have no allocations on the horizon and I should go for it. So I didn't hesitate. They'll have my service business for sure. On a business trip to San Diego in an attempt to sit my butt down in the buckets I've only seen pictures of, the dealer there indicates that the car is quite rare and seconds my decision to jump on the allocation when I did. They sold 7 total since inception and have no idea of when/if they will get more. I was sitting in this dealer and he had scads of 997s, 2 Turbo S models, and a new GT2-RS. No Spyders. I love the car that much more! I did get the chance to sit in a GT3 with the Carbon buckets. Perfection. I re-affirm my decision on seats. This will force me to stay in shape too!

Cannot wait to take possession!

John
John that is a great build, you have everything you'll need and want. The wait begins.

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I play golf. I don't think this is a poser question.

It fits. Sun Mountain 4.5 stand bag here. But had to take the driver(#1 metal wood) out. My bag just so happens, matches the car. My spyder is plat silver/carrera red. My bag is light gray with red trim. Imagine me, pulling up to the course, takes out color coordinated golf bag. I am going to look like a poser.

I am picking it up next week btw, for those who've been watching.
That is great news! Keep us posted.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clubs will fit, no problem. They go in only one direction and IIRC it's bottom of bag to the left and club heads to the right. Quit golf a few years ago and my last Boxster was from about '01

Enjoy your build...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Thanks for all the info folks. Once it arrives, I'll post info/photos.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Once you take possession of your Spyder, you'll quickly realize there are far more important questions, like "will my helmet fit in the back, or will I need to make do with a smaller cooler in the front to get everything to the track?"
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
jabbey
Advanced

I'm about 45 minutes from Summit Point. We'll see. My buddy races there in a racing 996. I'll get it on a track, but I'm not going to be a regular there.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 PM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Once you take possession of your Spyder, you'll quickly realize there are far more important questions, like "will my helmet fit in the back, or will I need to make do with a smaller cooler in the front to get everything to the track?"
This has been pretty true for me. I used to play a minimum of 4 rounds of golf a month. I have only played 6 rounds of golf all year because now I'm more preoccupied with taking my Spyder to the track. It's such a superb car on the track and so much fun.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:41 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^ I love it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing poseur about wanting to daily use a Spyder. You will be the envy of the golf course I think. The car holds a surprising amount of stuff. The back trunk has some cut-outs in the aft corners to help accomodate long items. Going to be a pretty car in red! Congrats and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Don't hate me and call me a poser....