Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
awai08
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that anybody should try this, but when I initially ordered my 987S, I omitted PASM from my options spec. Then I changed my mind and wanted it on my car, but my dealer told me that the order was "locked" and slated for production. My dealer said it was too late. Though, I thought I would try anyway and called Porsche directly in Germany. Someone there said he would "try his best," and that was the last I heard of the issue until my dealer called to say that my car had arrived at the port. ...PASM was on there! The moral of the story is that late changes have been possible, but having the order set early will save a lot of nail-biting down the road.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave I
So I guess the choices at this point are pay a little more for the exact car via factory order or find something else and compromise on color and options.
Pay a little more for exactly what you want.

My dealer screwed me on my order (I had deleted AC and model designation, and he told me stripe delete was not available; the car turns up with AC and model designation, and we have seen cars factory-ordered without stripes), and as a repeat customer offered me a decent discount to keep me happy. While it was a good deal, ~14 months later I would really like to have had a no-AC car.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 PM
balakris
Instructor

I did not pre-order but was able to get around $3K off MSRP ($68.7K). I had a check in hand, and I told them that there were three pre-owned Spyders with less than 5K miles that were lined up for me if we couldn't make a deal on the 2012. I was somewhat flexible on color, but really wanted Guards Red. They wouldn't let me leave without the car. I got a smoking deal on it I feel. I also I went the last day of the month.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pay for what you want... after purchase you'll be happy with purchase.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The one thing that stuck in my mind over and over again was that if I was going to spend more than $40K for a fun car it better be exactly what I want. I searched extensively every day for an existing car in a similar configuration but never found one and I made myself crazy for weeks trying to find an allocation and a reasonable discount. In the end the efforts paid off. I have to say that even if I had to pay more to get what I want I would not regret the decision. The Spyder is an awesome car!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree. I will not be totally content with my spyder until I get the sport bucket seats it's supposed to have back in it. I was pretty much lied to by my dealer, who made me think that there were no more spyders available and that I pretty much had no choice. I would much rather have custom ordered my spyder without these infernal heated sport heats. Since then, the dealer has received 3 other spyder allocations, when they told me there were no more. My fault for being overzealous and not fully doing my research and making an impulse buy. I won't make the same mistake again.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Carlsen is out of the picture. In fact, thanks to their game playing, I'm looking around at dealers outside the area after having established what I thought was a working relationship.

they play games with u too?
great. that's
me
patrick
james
you
ag
cc
and a few others.

i will make sure i continue to let every porsche enthusiasts in the bay area know their games and how not to do business with them.

they fk'd with the wrong customers. guess buying 4 cars a year just wasn't enough profit for them....

btw, once u get the car, let's meet up so i can drool over it.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

btw dave, i never keep cars i dont spec myself. what i mean is they usually leave my garage within 6 months. if i ordered it, they stay for about 13 months. twice as long!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Not to defend dealers, but sometimes it's the factory rep or the factory ordering process itself that screws it up. As automated as the ordering process is, there are several steps where human hands can affect the outcome-for better or worse.

There is a lot that happens behind the scenes that can be several pay grades above the salesperson or even the manager at the dealer level. Allocations appear and disappear with back room horse trading that no salesperson could anticipate. The factory regional manger may see a need for cars in the south so he'll direct more cars there at the expense of northern dealers.

Options can go off the production grid due to supplier issues (and Porsche is a MASTER of outsourcing). If you're "PROD" when this happens, your option gets deleted.

Not as cut and dry as it should be.

BD
Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The whole Carlsen experience this time around was a real bummer...the Spyder could have been the third car in two years for me, not quite four in one year but trying to keep up with you is a losing proposition for most people, lol.

Regarding your other comment, I have to question that you ever kept a car for 13 months, ha ha. Actually, my strategy should probably be to wait around for you to get tired of one of your rides instead of going through a dealership.

Originally Posted by mooty
they play games with u too?
great. that's
me
patrick
james
you
ag
cc
and a few others.

i will make sure i continue to let every porsche enthusiasts in the bay area know their games and how not to do business with them.

they fk'd with the wrong customers. guess buying 4 cars a year just wasn't enough profit for them....

btw, once u get the car, let's meet up so i can drool over it.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 AM
jabbey
Advanced

Placing my order tomorrow on Spyder with dealer stating changeable configuration is possible on his July build, Sep delivery. So far, I have not asked for discount. Should I? The car is 400 miles away and they are going to reimburse 650 for flight to car, transport, or just chop it off the bottom line. Otherwise, it is MSRP. Thoughts?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
Not to defend dealers, but sometimes it's the factory rep or the factory ordering process itself that screws it up. As automated as the ordering process is, there are several steps where human hands can affect the outcome-for better or worse.

There is a lot that happens behind the scenes that can be several pay grades above the salesperson or even the manager at the dealer level. Allocations appear and disappear with back room horse trading that no salesperson could anticipate. The factory regional manger may see a need for cars in the south so he'll direct more cars there at the expense of northern dealers.

Options can go off the production grid due to supplier issues (and Porsche is a MASTER of outsourcing). If you're "PROD" when this happens, your option gets deleted.

Not as cut and dry as it should be.

BD
i have bought over 100 cars in the last 20 years. i have worked for dealer, i have a good friend who owns one of the large import dealer in bay area, yes, there are a lot of "trading" going on.... but there are a lot of BS going on too. "trading" in the back room is business, i am a businessman, i do lots of back room deals. this is how business is done. but there is also flat out BS. i have been around the block many many times. and i know what's BS and what's "trading/dealing". carlsen if just full of ****. plenty other dealers are full of it too. but until they **** me off, i dont have the time to disclose all their dealings. there are only so many GT3 owners in the bay area and i know just about everyone of them, where and how their car came about. many things i wont say... that doesn't mean i dont know. when i really get ticked off.....

sorry, but all business is cut and dry.
it's only "grey" if one fails to prepare or anticipate it.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

The whole Carlsen experience this time around was a real bummer...the Spyder could have been the third car in two years for me, not quite four in one year but trying to keep up with you is a losing proposition for most people, lol.
"bummer".. you too polite. how about you got ****ed by them again?
dont worry, i wont be buying many porsches in the future. i moved my attention to TPD trailers. i have three, sold three all in 24 months. i think i need a 4th now ;-) who knows. i may have to pick up PP and PAM again hahaha.

Regarding your other comment, I have to question that you ever kept a car for 13 months, ha ha. Actually, my strategy should probably be to wait around for you to get tired of one of your rides instead of going through a dealership.
that could be good. but i am impulsive. i decided to sell my trailer one day and fellow RL wired money to me in less than 12 hours, before i had time to really think it through.... that's how my two RS sold too.... you want a trailer LOL.

did perry at stead ever get back to you? they have been trying to earn my business for a long time. but their manager is..... well.... all they have to do is make me happy once, then i keep buying from them..... i have never bought from them.... why? they haven' t made me happy yet. is it THAT HARD to do sale?

marketing 101, it cost a lot more money to obtain new customers than keeping existing customers. but then again, most car salesppl, manager or owners are not MBA types. i am just wasting my time.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

They can afford to screw me over, but I'm not sure what they're thinking when they screw people who are buying as many cars and referring multiple customers as you are.

Got an email from Perry who is heading back from vacation tomorrow. Hopefully we will get something worked out.

Originally Posted by mooty
"bummer".. you too polite. how about you got ****ed by them again?
dont worry, i wont be buying many porsches in the future. i moved my attention to TPD trailers. i have three, sold three all in 24 months. i think i need a 4th now ;-) who knows. i may have to pick up PP and PAM again hahaha.

that could be good. but i am impulsive. i decided to sell my trailer one day and fellow RL wired money to me in less than 12 hours, before i had time to really think it through.... that's how my two RS sold too.... you want a trailer LOL.

did perry at stead ever get back to you? they have been trying to earn my business for a long time. but their manager is..... well.... all they have to do is make me happy once, then i keep buying from them..... i have never bought from them.... why? they haven' t made me happy yet. is it THAT HARD to do sale?

marketing 101, it cost a lot more money to obtain new customers than keeping existing customers. but then again, most car salesppl, manager or owners are not MBA types. i am just wasting my time.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

mooty - you should look into audio gear. you can get a phono cartridge for same price as pam or pp nautlilus, depend how far you wanna ride the slope...

Quick Reply: Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?