Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Used Spyder Pricing.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Used Spyder Pricing.......

Looking at a CPO'd White/Black Spyder. 6500 miles. 6 Spd/PCM/AC/Sport Chrono/Xenon Original sticker was 71k. The warranty started 5/2010. What is a fair price to pay for this car?

Thanks..........Craig
Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think you'd pay around 60K. What are they asking?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you are willing to spend. I would say low $60k's. Its hard to say because there are not alot of them around anymore, people are snatching them up. They should really sell quickly this time a year.
If it has Sport Bucket seats that is a big plus.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Imho, I wouldn't go over 60 or 61, unless it has the exact options you would select if you were ordering brand new.

For mid 60's I think you can find a brand new vehicle, although it may take some hunting.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks.....they are asking ~67k which seemed quite high to me. Said they would come down to 65k. Has the options I would like, including sport bucket seats, but seems too high for the mileage in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

New that car would cost about what they are asking if you get a good discount. Typical discounts would put that car at $68.5K new. With a year of warranty gone and CPO for another two years I think you're actually slightly ahead so I would say about $63K. I've seen similar cars sell quickly at $61- $62K and the CPO adds another $2K to the value.

Good luck with the purchase and let us know if you get it!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we tend to simplify what a car "should cost" sitting on a dealer's lot. Please don't misunderstand, I don' think you fellows are "wrong" or anything such as that. But different dealers look at things differently.

There are two P-dealers that I typically have done business with over the years;

Both owned by Gentlemen who have multiple brand stores, but as different as night and day..

One charges top dollar, new or used. He has deep pockets and will sit a car until it sells, simple as that. You don't want to pay? Don't... someone will. He's very successful. He's also extremely accommodating. When I was sickly in lust for a C-GT he allowed me two test drives, no questions. GM himself took me on one wild ride, then turned it over. The second time they just put a plate on it and let me run alone. He sponsors a local racing league and folks love the place. The Service Dept will install and tune aftermarket options and "cover" you on warr if a problem arises as long as they installed it. And in general, they know how to install it.

Second place is quite different. Stack 'em steep and sell 'em cheap. Will swing, but won't lose money. Sevice Dept. isn't as savvy but they have a concierge service kind of thing. You just drop the car at the showroom and tell the guy what's wrong. No lines, no paperwork, just drop it off and they attend to it. I wouldn't REVO my Spyder there cuz I'm not at all sure they are as good as the other, but they always fix the normal problems

I have supported both because I understand their message/mission and they are both good to deal with in the end.

But my point is that you have to look at more than the window to understand whom you are dealing with and what you are buying with the car.

IMHO, this car is a steal at any reasonable price. The performance, the LOOK... Porsche outdid themselves on this one. No Speedster ever looked or performed this well. If you don't get that one, get another. This is a keeper.

YMMV of course...
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
we tend to simplify what a car "should cost" sitting on a dealer's lot. Please don't misunderstand, I don' think you fellows are "wrong" or anything such as that. But different dealers look at things differently.

There are two P-dealers that I typically have done business with over the years;

Both owned by Gentlemen who have multiple brand stores, but as different as night and day..

One charges top dollar, new or used. He has deep pockets and will sit a car until it sells, simple as that. You don't want to pay? Don't... someone will. He's very successful. He's also extremely accommodating. When I was sickly in lust for a C-GT he allowed me two test drives, no questions. GM himself took me on one wild ride, then turned it over. The second time they just put a plate on it and let me run alone. He sponsors a local racing league and folks love the place. The Service Dept will install and tune aftermarket options and "cover" you on warr if a problem arises as long as they installed it. And in general, they know how to install it.

Second place is quite different. Stack 'em steep and sell 'em cheap. Will swing, but won't lose money. Sevice Dept. isn't as savvy but they have a concierge service kind of thing. You just drop the car at the showroom and tell the guy what's wrong. No lines, no paperwork, just drop it off and they attend to it. I wouldn't REVO my Spyder there cuz I'm not at all sure they are as good as the other, but they always fix the normal problems

I have supported both because I understand their message/mission and they are both good to deal with in the end.

But my point is that you have to look at more than the window to understand whom you are dealing with and what you are buying with the car.

IMHO, this car is a steal at any reasonable price. The performance, the LOOK... Porsche outdid themselves on this one. No Speedster ever looked or performed this well. If you don't get that one, get another. This is a keeper. YMMV of course...
Well written post and I have also observed the exact same thing at various dealers. When you look at the big picture there just aren't many Spyders out there and even fewer in a specific configuration. You may get lucky and find a new allocation but I have a feeling most of those are going to be gone soon or already configured by the dealers.

BTW, I agree that the car is a steal at this price point. I seriously looked at tons of other cars both new and used and really considered several cars but when you look at the whole package nothing really came close. How many other sub 5 second, mid engine, 1+g handling, better than average build quality cars with incredible looks are there on the market?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:37 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67`
Looking at a CPO'd White/Black Spyder. 6500 miles. 6 Spd/PCM/AC/Sport Chrono/Xenon Original sticker was 71k. The warranty started 5/2010. What is a fair price to pay for this car?
Here's a list of all the pre-owned spyders that are for sale on cars.com, ebay, autotrader, and through Porsche dealers.

Full disclosure: Porschefinder.net is my site, but, it's free. If you guys have any ideas for how to make it better, give me a shout.

Jason
Old 05-20-2011, 03:31 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

j fox, I tried your link and it did not work.

"Application ErrorAn error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments.

If you are the application owner, check your logs for details."
Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
j fox, I tried your link and it did not work.
Sorry pdxjim. My hosting provider is experiencing a DDOS attack (distributed denial of services attack) causing everyone's sites to be unavailable. Hopefully they will be able to clear up the issue soon. Check back a littler later.

Jason
Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The link did work for me earlier, definite a buch for sale but very few with MT's and sport buckets

Quick Reply: Used Spyder Pricing.......