Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

WSJ Reviews Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Not be outdone, the NYT weighs in (today). A proper review.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/au...0spyder&st=cse
Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The review is spot on except I think the spyder is equally enjoyable on the road ,I don't see it as a track car like gt3 or Gt3 Rs
The suspension and feel of the car are it's best points and of course the pse sounds better due to thin roof where in the 911 it is muted with windows up

I tried the top at the dealership and after watching several videos I was able to put just the sunshade up and down in 40 seconds . I tried to time it and with lifting the hatch from the side of the car and putting the prop rod from the drivers side, I saved few seconds from going to back of the car and back , an auto123 video on you tube used that technique

With the weather protector , add another 40 secs, so in 90 secs to 2 mins u accomplish something that is satisfying to do surprisingly

I think excellence is right when it said it can be used as a daily driver since it is rain proof and comfortable except prolly leaving it outside in heavy snow since the roof may not be designed to support heavy snow
Old 08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
Regarding temps - need to make sure the oil is up to temp - not just the coolant - which is what the temp gauge reads.
Really?I could have sworn that mine reads the oil temp! Then again I've only driven it twice and looking at the gauges carefully has not exactly been the priority.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Hehe... Oil burning, leaking seals, lower compression...poor babied cars...Hehe...
The whole break-in thing is just a conspiracy to sabotage the cars for later warranty work, huh?

Personally, I think 2,000 miles is too long, but 200 miles is too short.

Originally Posted by WAY
I basically start driving immediately but keep the revs below 3000rpm until it hits proper operating temp.
I do the same. Since there is no oil temp gauge in the Boxster, drive for about 10 minutes before getting on it.

Quick Reply: WSJ Reviews Spyder