Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

WSJ Reviews Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I think current Boxster Spyder owners who have had automated tops before can chime in and be frank about how the tops are to live on a daily basis compared to their previous or exsiting automated tops they have had on other cars

I think the top is a non issue for spyder owners who use the car as a pure top down car, weather permitting

The top becomes more relevant and comes into consideration a lot when the top is used on highways , rain , hot days etc
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
DT04R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
It was supposed to have been a sarcastic reply and I forgot to add the smiley face.
If it's any consolation, I was chucking when I read your post (my sarcasm meter is really dialed in )
Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It was supposed to have been a sarcastic reply and I forgot to add the smiley face.
Makes a lot more sense now. Those smiley faces can make quite a difference.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Those seem like pretty reasonable instructions to me. I think they tend to be applicable to almost any convertible. Do you think it would be a good idea to start messing around with putting the top up or down while its on a jack? Would it really be a good idea to drive with a convertible top in a partially open position (sure you can leave the back 1/2 of the BS top off, but would you only partially attach the top to the windshield frame and risk damaging it or having it flap against the paint)? The whole thing about stains, abrasions, not opening it below 32 degrees and parking in the shade seem to be common sense for most convertibles or nice cars in general. So I think your issues regarding the standard Boxster top seem a bit over stated.

While I like the idea of the Boxster S and its looks (without the top). I don't care for the manual top idea. The electric top is just so convenient. Not to mention IMHO the manual top resembles a folding lawn chair strapped to a car. Also, in addition to stripping some weight they should have also given it a healthy dose of extra of HP and Torque, rather than just giving it and engine with Cayman S specs. Don't get me wrong, overall I like the Boxster Spyder, but there are things about it that don't appeal to everyone (myself included).

Its probably a great track car but not something I'd want for everyday.
Please lighten up (insert smiley face). See my last post. I was trying to be "sarcastic" and it didn't come across like I was hoping. On the surface if you judge the two cars based soley on their tops, it appears from the Porsche manual the standard Boxster top would be harder to live with. I'm not trying to convert anyone to liking the Boxster Spyder or trying to diss the standard Boxster. My post was tongue in cheek. Insert smiley face again.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

I didn't see your post before I posted. Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 97 Posts

I like the Spyder top the way it is and find it part of the appeal. Kind of reminds me of the old Speedster and the Porsche addage of doing more with less.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't see your post before I posted. Sorry for the rant.
No problem. It happens.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

It is clear that the top, for better or worse, defines the Spyder. I don't think it is poorly engineered -- quite the contrary -- I think its design is brilliant. And it really works. I have been in heavy rains and not a drop comes in the car. And it is an effective sun shield too. It really isn't a PITA to take off and on, once you have done it a few times. Really.

What bugs me about this video, and the Top Gear one too, is that it is just too easy (and obvious) to pick on the top (tent) this way, in an effort to make a (funny?) story.

That being said, the Spyder is certainly not for everyone. And Porsche knows it too -- I think I read somewhere that Porsche fully expects many potential customers to go the dealer, see some of the compromises with the Spyder and then decide to get a regular Boxster instead.

I am fornunate (like TheKane) to live in NorCal where the climate is perfect for the Spyder. I personally can live with the (slight) inconvenience of not being able to push a button to lower or put on the top. Or, not being able to take the Spyder through a car wash (I would never do that in any event). And I absolutely love the sport buckets, the suspension tuning, the balance, the feel, etc. I have over 3k miles on my Spyder now and I am in heaven. It is a knockout and the fun factor is dialed to 11. I am so glad Porsche decided to build this car.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2011 Spyder is my 3rd Boxster and I have no issues or reservations with the manual top, it's quite easy to put on and take off.

I agree that the top defines the look of the car, that said it is not for everyone and not a good "Daily Driver" car, IMHO.

The car is simple stunning to look at, the manual top didn't even enter into the equation when I decided too purchase the car. I'm very happy with the car and will enjoy it ever chance I get. We have a really short season for this type of car, here in the frozen north.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, gotcha!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned my 964 Speedster for 10 years, and have never had an issue with the manual top. No doubt it would be cumbersome if driven daily, but it works well and has held up against the elements without a leak to date. Sure it takes some time to put it up and down, but repetition can make the process efficient. If I see rain, I pull over and put it up. It's not hard.

I guess consumers have just become utterly dependent on convenience. What a shame. I feel that the Spyder would make the PERFECT daily driver for a sports car enthusiast with an exciting commute.

My $.02,
-B
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

that make me think, as a kid , opening the garage door to let dads car in or shutting it was part of the process , never thought about it but now I am so used to pressing button to open and anopther button to close and just zoom off, lol
technology does makes people squeeze their time , like 30 sec to get in out of their door rather taking 2 minutes to open the garage, pull out the car and close it

now if someone planned those 2-3 mins into their daily routine then it becomes normal i suppose
Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

I picked up my Spyder yesterday. Epic. Ditto to every word Zellamsee said.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
That being said, the Spyder is certainly not for everyone. And Porsche knows it too -- I think I read somewhere that Porsche fully expects many potential customers to go the dealer, see some of the compromises with the Spyder and then decide to get a regular Boxster instead.
Definitely a marketing strategy and it's obvious. It fits in well with what I experienced when I visited the dealer.

I wanted to test drive the Spyder but the salesman was adamant that we take the Boxster S sitting outside since it was "very similar". I said ok until he mentioned it had PDK to which I said "no thanks, not interested". He was adamant and we went out. After about 1 minute when he saw that I wasn't blown away by the PDK he said "you know what, lets go get the Spyder out of the showroom". I smiled and that was it.

It didn't stop there, he still suggested that I could get a great deal on an 09 Boxster S or even the RS60 and save some $$. But after the test drive my mind was already made, I wanted the Spyder.

Now the problem is timing and availability which continues to lead me to believe that this is marketing strategy to get Porsche enthusiasts into the door.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Awesome! Congrats. Enjoy, and see you around the Hood! Epic indeed.

Quick Reply: WSJ Reviews Spyder