Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Striped Spyder or Not- pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Striped Spyder or Not- pics

I love my Spyder but not sure on the side stripe with the Porsche in it... I know it's nostalgic and a tribute to the history and past models but I've never been a fan. I feel like maybe it's too much- advertising, in your face, look I'm driving a Porsche, like a big diamond Rolex (not that there's anything wrong with that). Or maybe I'm overanalyzing it because my family and friends love it- so cool, just like the older Porsches...

The side stripes are easy enough to take off but years from now, maybe that's what adds to the value of this car.

What's your take on them? Important- that's part of what defines the car; better without them; who cares, just drive it or ?

Pics are a quick photoshop- haven't done the hairdryer fingernail decal removal thing (yet).
Attached Images   
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 AM
tim martin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like it without.....looks clean....my 2 cents
Old 07-15-2010, 12:55 AM
pcw
Instructor

IMO, keep them on. It's an in your face, unique car. It's a tribute to the pass, and a look to the future before all the carb/emissions regulations change it all for the worst. You got one of the best handling cars in the world, be proud of it.

pcw
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stripes visually make the car look lower. maybe have straight black stripes instead of the Porsche lettering?
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

The stripes are fun. The Spyder is for fun. IMHO
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Dig-It
Advanced

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
The stripes visually make the car look lower.
+1
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Would have been cool if Porsche used Spyder in script instead of Porsche. Would have made it more unique and appropriate.

I say keep it, it looks good and breaks up the side of the car. If you look at the front spoiler lip it almost maintains an angle which leads into the stripes.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if I bought a Boxster Spyder, I'd remove the stripes. I'm wondering - is there a "stripe delete" option?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't take them off unless the parts guy could get replacements anyway. I do think the car looks better without them but I do like the "character" that it adds.

Btw, I drove 2 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and couldn't believe all the attention the car got. Motorcycle riders were giving me the thumbs up, 2 people wanted thier picture taken by it and one guy saw it, made a u-turn and had to ask all about it then even offered to take my picture in front of it. Definitely a FUN car and just different enough that a car guy knows what it is and a non-car person doesn't know what it is but knows it's different enough to deserve a curious stare and occasional thumbs up. For those waiting, it's worth it- great bang for the buck too.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't dream of removing my stripes. I love them.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the car looks much better without the stripes. I agree with Marine Blue, that it might have been cool if they used Spyder script rather than writing Porsche on the side.

If I were ordering a Boxster Spyder, I would definitely inquire as to whether there is a decal delete option. IMHO the stripes detract from the overall car. However, if I bought a car with the stripes from the factory, I would keep them.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:34 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't take them off unless the parts guy could get replacements anyway. I do think the car looks better without them but I do like the "character" that it adds.

Btw, I drove 2 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and couldn't believe all the attention the car got. Motorcycle riders were giving me the thumbs up, 2 people wanted thier picture taken by it and one guy saw it, made a u-turn and had to ask all about it then even offered to take my picture in front of it. Definitely a FUN car and just different enough that a car guy knows what it is and a non-car person doesn't know what it is but knows it's different enough to deserve a curious stare and occasional thumbs up. For those waiting, it's worth it- great bang for the buck too.
Other new cars have garnered similar attention as they were introduced - one that comes to mind is the Chevy Chevette, for example.

Attention is fleeting, is often reflective of the novelty impact of a new model, and has no relation to the quality/desireability of the car. Personally, I wouldn't buy a particular car because it attracts attention.

However, with all of that said, the Boxster Spyder is very cool (like most Porsches) and I'd like to own one (not to get attention, but because of its performance capabilities).
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that I never liked the Porsche decals, nor the Porsche rear deflector.

I think the stripe is necessary for resale, but I would prefer mine without any additional Porsche badges/stickers besides the hood badge and maybe the wheel logos.

The stripe without the Porsche logo would be ok.

To each his own, I suppose.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I have the same dilemma. I try to maintain a low profile, and hate stripes in general. I tried to order the car without stripes (not possible) and without rear insignia (possible, but the dealer did not oblige). I was planning to have the dealer remove the stripes before delivery, but forgot to ask, and figured I could do it later.

They have grown on me a bit, and helps makes the car instantly recognizable as a Spyder. But assuming replacements are available (car is a lease), I will probably remove them sooner than later.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how about red stripes for a white car? I thought I had seen decals available somewhere...

Quick Reply: Striped Spyder or Not- pics