Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Sport Bucket Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

LOL. Oh yes, it's hideous. That's why it's hidden in the frunk until it's needed. Seriously though, this is the ONLY booster I could find that would fit. Nothing else out there fits. I found one that was nice looking and the base would fit,

but the stupid arm rests (not removable) made it too wide.

Bubble bum. The only option
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I have taken my son out a few times in the Spyder. The Britax Starriser base works perfectly, good luck finding one though. My daughter just turned four and is finally big enough to go out for drives in the Spyder. I'm hoping to get her out this weekend, she has been wanting to go since the day I bought the car.

I'll try to take a photo of it next time the booster is in the Spyder.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

No pictures of the bubble bum in my spyder. Too ugly looking. LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
stealthn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sport buckets do not support child seats, they do not have the anchors for the base shown. Kids big enough that don't need a child seat may be ok, but there is the considerations noted here, the most important is the airbag deactivation. The booster should be anchored, but there is no anchor points, so this is the concern.

As i am shopping for a Cayman and wish to put in sport buckets, i think i will keep the factory seat on the passenger side and sport bucket on the drivers side until my boys are big enough then swap in the sport bucket.

Good lunck,

Bob James
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 AM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by stealthn
As i am shopping for a Cayman and wish to put in sport buckets, i think i will keep the factory seat on the passenger side and sport bucket on the drivers side until my boys are big enough then swap in the sport bucket.

Good lunck,

Bob James
Just be aware that it's less expensive in the long run to get a car with sport buckets and get a sport seat for the passenger side for your kids than getting a car with sport seats and trying to add sport buckets later.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stealthn
The sport buckets do not support child seats, they do not have the anchors for the base shown. Kids big enough that don't need a child seat may be ok, but there is the considerations noted here, the most important is the airbag deactivation. The booster should be anchored, but there is no anchor points, so this is the concern.

Good lunck,

Bob James
Latch is not necessary for any child seat. Most boosters do not use the latch and use only the 3 point belt. The clek booster shown above does not require the use of the latches and notes that simple use of the belts alone is sufficient. Nontheless, the only booster for sale currently that I am aware of that will fit in the buckets is the crazy looking bubble bum.

Yes, it is recommended that the airbag on the passenger side be turned off if a child is riding in the seat. You can either rely on the seat occupancy detector or pay to have a OEM switch installed to turn it off manually.

Agree with Ben, if you're gonna do the hybrid seat setup, order with the buckets and buy the sport seats off someone. You'll regret it the other way around.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Mb007
5th Gear

I agree get the sport buckets and find a used pair of sport seats with the anchors

Mike
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm fortunate, both of my kids are now old enough to go into boosters so the Sport Buckets work for us. My daughter Olivia had to wait a year to go for a drive but it was worth it and she had a blast her first time out last weekend.

In the GT3 forum they were talking about how the passenger side sport bucket seats work and apparently they have some type of load cell device that weighs the entire seat, not the typical sensor in the padding. It was also stated that when a child is detected all of the airbags are switched off, that includes front, seat and side curtain (in a coupe).

Quick Reply: Spyder Sport Bucket Seat Question