Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Sport Bucket Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Spyder Sport Bucket Seat Question

I was reading in the Tequipment Brochure that the Sport Bucket Seats can not be used with Child Restraint Systems. Does this mean the side airbag can not be switched off?

My son is 6 and uses a booster seat which would fit perfectly but I want to be certain the Sport Bucket seats are safe.

Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 07-03-2010, 01:14 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 923 Posts

Are you sure your booster seat fits? I only ask because the sport buckets are extremely narrow. My sons booster was too wide. Luckily he's 10 now and no longer has to have one. The sensor does shut off his airbag though.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info on the sensor, this is helpful.

We picked up a Britax Starriser which has a very narrow base on it. It fits easily in the back of my 928 and its one of the few that does fit back there. I'm going to measure to be certain and I'll post back.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
hatari
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any luck?

I'm also looking at the Spyder, but want to have my 4yr old sit from time to time in a booster. Is there a booster that fits the buckets? Porsche seems to say that sport buckets are not to be used with any form of child seat (perhaps the integral air bags?). My dealer seems to think you can. Nevertheless, did you find one that worked? Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Britax Stariser booster seat fits into the sport bucket seats perfectly however the airbag can not be shut off manually. What I'm not certain about is if the airbags will be shut off automatically since the seat should sense a low weight.

I'm debating what to do myself and I'm going to be in the market very soon.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Dig-It
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 11 year old son is skinny enough to cause the passenger airbag to deactivate (75 lbs. or so). The only problem he has with the sport buckets is that his head is at the same height as the belt passage in the backrest. We've made a improvised head pad to tie off there when he wants to go for a ride.

Other than that, the buckets are so good, I'd have to have a pretty darn good reason NOT to add them to any future P-car I might buy from here on out.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dig-It
My 11 year old son is skinny enough to cause the passenger airbag to deactivate (75 lbs. or so). The only problem he has with the sport buckets is that his head is at the same height as the belt passage in the backrest. We've made a improvised head pad to tie off there when he wants to go for a ride.

Other than that, the buckets are so good, I'd have to have a pretty darn good reason NOT to add them to any future P-car I might buy from here on out.
This is the information I was hoping for. I was pretty close to choosing the sports seats so I could take the kids in the car but knowing that the buckets will work fine I am now definitely leaning towards the buckets.

Can you take a picture of the head pad you're referring to? My son will be in a booster but I think we will also need to move the belt down when he's in the car.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's as simple as a long black boot sock with pillow stuffing held in place by a couple of knots. We put the ends through the belt passages and tie them off behind the center mesh screen. I can take a pic if you'd still like one.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it helps i measured mine and the flat part of the bottom cushion (no bolster measured) toward the seat back is approx 12 1/4", the lower mid of the back inside the bolsters is a little more than 11"
Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I failed to mention in my earlier post that I actually placed the base of the Britax Starriser into the sport buckets on one of the local Porsche dealers Spyders and it fit snugly but it wasn't touching the side bolsters.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
hatari
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A view from Porsche AG (official or not)

Quote from Porsche AG..."The sport bucket seats are linked to Motorsport. So it is not possible to use booster seats for the sport bucket seats (neither Porsche booster seats nor booster seats from other suppliers. "

Inability to turn off the integrated thorax air-bags? No idea. Sorry if this isn't what you (or I) want to hear.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

FWIW, I finally found a booster seat that fits into the carbon bucket PERFECTLY. It's cheap ($40), and supposedly works even better than the bulky and more expensive options out there. Bubble Bum. It's not pretty, but hey it fits.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe Heritage can re-do it in Red Alcantara for you. : )
Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67
Maybe Heritage can re-do it in Red Alcantara for you. : )
LOL. Don't know if it's worth waiting 5 months for.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
FWIW, I finally found a booster seat that fits into the carbon bucket PERFECTLY. It's cheap ($40), and supposedly works even better than the bulky and more expensive options out there. Bubble Bum. It's not pretty, but hey it fits.
I'm still LOL'ing at that thing. It's hideous!
But I never thought about this problem. I just assumed I could get a booster in the front bucket when my daughter was old enough. Hmm....this isn't good news at all.

Quick Reply: Spyder Sport Bucket Seat Question