Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder test drive impressions and a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if its this way on Porsches but other brands' cruise controls add about 25lbs
Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Not possible; as was mentioned, like all modern cars, it is all electronic
Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 AM
WAY
Instructor

The weight of a modern car cruise control is the weight of the stalk. No more no less.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:11 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Actually, there's more to it than that. All systems vary, but they have the same essential parts: Cruise Control Computer, Vacuum Actuator, Throttle Cables (some times additional to those already on the vehicle), Throttle Position Sensors, Switches/Sensors to Steering Controls/Vehicle Speed/Clutch Pedal/Brake Pedal. Then there is the stalk and the wiring to/from it.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

s2ktaxi, I'm your same height and weight at 5'7" 145 pounds with short arms.
I have a Spyder with the sport buckets and also found them too low. I put two pieces of half inch thick carpet pad, cut to the right shape with a scissors. under the seat cushion. It raises you up and is a totally invisible modification.
Your lower back will now correspond more correctly with where the lumbar support of the seat is meant to hit you for the lowest fatigue.

I also have heard that Porsche mechanics can raise or lower the entire seat assembly. There reportedly are three settings available. I'm not sure in which position the seat comes from the factory, probably the middle one. When I'm able, I'm going to see if they can raise it up even more for me to improve visibility.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKane
Actually, there's more to it than that. All systems vary, but they have the same essential parts: Cruise Control Computer, Vacuum Actuator, Throttle Cables (some times additional to those already on the vehicle), Throttle Position Sensors, Switches/Sensors to Steering Controls/Vehicle Speed/Clutch Pedal/Brake Pedal. Then there is the stalk and the wiring to/from it.
Wrong E Gas eliminates 99% of the above.

Peter
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

Attached is a picture of my Spyder interior. I'd like to raise the sport buckets a good inch if possible. This thread is a few months old. Has anyone had any luck getting their seats raised?
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGuy
Attached is a picture of my Spyder interior. I'd like to raise the sport buckets a good inch if possible. This thread is a few months old. Has anyone had any luck getting their seats raised?
Congrats on the car! is this the one that's been on ebay for a couple of months?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

you might want to check over on www.planet-9.com more active threads on Spyder over there
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Hi. Yes, the spyder had been on ebay. It is being shipped as we speak. Hope it turns out as described as it was about $13K off MSRP with 350 miles! I've never purchased a car sight unseen, but I bit the bullet. It is very close to the car I might have ordered except I would have gotten the sport seats for sure.

I asked about the GT2 buckets on Planet-9 and there were no ideas other than selling and replacing the seats, so I thought I would check here about raising the seats....
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Hi. Yes, the spyder had been on ebay. It is being shipped as we speak. Hope it turns out as described as it was about $13K off MSRP with 350 miles! I've never purchased a car sight unseen, but I bit the bullet. It is very close to the car I might have ordered except I would have gotten the sport seats for sure.

I asked about the GT2 buckets on Planet-9 and there were no ideas other than selling and replacing the seats, so I thought I would check here about raising the seats....
Congrats on the purchase!

I'm fairly short (5'7") and I didn't find the seats to be too low. You might consider adding some padding underneath the bottom cushion first before anything else and see if that helps.

Can you tell me the approximate percentage discount off MSRP, I'm headed to the dealers this weekend and I'm trying to get an idea of what dealers are offering.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

I asked two dealers about raising the seats. Both said it can't be done. The seat cushion is attached by velcro. Just lift it up and put foam material under the cushion. Joanne Fabrics sells the foam. It comes in different thickness and density .. 1/2" to 21/2". Very inexpensive ... under $7.00.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
batty
Instructor

SDGuy, congrats! You're going to love it. The Spyder is a thrilling, intoxicating car.

Afshin, I think you're looking at 10-15% off. I think SD might have gotten a few more points off for the non standard red interior. Either way, if you want/need to get a better discount than that, I'd be prepared to tell them what you can pay and then walk for a few weeks. Let them know the offer stands through the end of the month and see what happens. They'll call (unless your offer is beyond the pale).

You're not going to be getting your best deal at the top of the month anyway, and you're not going to be putting many miles on during January in Massachusetts, so you've got time on our side. Good luck and don't be afraid to shop around. And whatever you do make sure you get a Spyder with PSE! It's essential. Seriously.

And finally, delete the boxster portion of your rear badge and center the Spyder. That makes it look a thousand times better too. Slender, balanced and all grown up!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Great advice. And thanks for all the good wishes. I really like the idea of centering just the Spyder badge. Boxster Spyder is just too wide a badge.

I hope I didn't give you guys the wrong impression on the "discount". This is a used car that was previously titled by a supposed collector who only drove it 350 miles (heaven help me for believing the story). MSRP on the original sticker was $81K and I paid $68K plus T&L. I had been hunting for a new Boxster, not necessarily a Spyder, for a couple of months. Discounts on new cars are possible, but it looked to me that the best discounts I could have achieved on a new Boxster were 12% on any leftover 2010 and maybe 6-8% on a 2011 non-spyder depending on equipment. On a new Spyder, I was only offered a courtesy discount of about $2K. Of course, YMMV.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:54 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SDguy - you should see if anyone wants to do a swap. I for one prefer the Sport Buckets but would have a larger selection if I knew I had someone to swap seats with. Only problem is I'm looking for black interiors.

Quick Reply: Spyder test drive impressions and a question