Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder test drive impressions and a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:03 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spyder test drive impressions and a question

Finally got to drive a Spyder.

please keep in mind that my impressions are based on the following prior experience:
8-9 years of DE - mostly in S2000s and NSXs including 1 day in a 996 C2
3-4 years of autocross - mostly in S2000s but have driven many student cars in instruction/demo runs - including a 986 S
25 mile test drive of a 997.2 S

PSE - noticeable with the top down through the entire rev range - sounds particularly good on the heel-toe or blip throttle downshifts and of course on the acceleration. With it turned off, you really don't hear the exhaust as all - the engine, road and wind noise overpower the quiet exhaust. But with it on, it's just perceptible at cruising speeds and certainly audible on acceleration. The regular exhaust is quiet like that of the NSX - as some have put it - sounds like sewing machine

Rear visibility - the best visibility is out the side and rear view mirror! you actually see more looking out the rear view mirror than you do trying to turn around and looking between the twin humps. I think the rear parking sensors are a worthwhile investment. The view out the 996, 997 and regular Boxsters are much better.

Sport Buckets - at 5'7", 140 lbs, short arms, the seat is about 1/2" lower than I'd like - can barely see the front right fender. View out the 996, 997 and Boxsters with sport or regular seats were better mainly because of the height adjustment. The S2000 and NSX with no height adjustment were fine - providing a panoramic, road in your lap view. The seats held well but were not as snug as I expected - probably weren't designed for the smaller of us. The sport seats are actually very close to the carbon buckets in upper body lateral support. The alcantara inserts grip better and the hip and thigh lateral support are better but not very noticeable even on highway ramps.

Stereo - well... it produces sound I think $ would be better spent on the PSE. Does anyone know if the bluetooth is available without the stereo? Both the web and dealer configurator seem to allow BT to be specified without the stereo.

Sport Chrono - I don't like the aesthetics of the clock in the middle of the dash and the throttle response did not seem to different enough to me. I didn't feel like testing out the PSM, so could not tell the PSM difference from having the Sport Chrono option. Can anyone describe the difference? I'm thinking this option may not be for me.

Steering - I found it a bit more vague than the 997.2 S on initial turn in - maybe the chassis rigidity made a difference. Feedback and feel in the turn is better than initial turn in and much better weighted. The S2000's steering has a bit less feel but is sharper and seems more responsive in a go-kart kind of way whereas the Spyder's is more refined.

Shifter - this was actually the biggest disappointment and may be a dealbreaker for me. The shifters on the S2000 and NSX are quite a bit better. On a few occasions, the 3-2 downshift felt very odd - the shifter seemed to be very vague finding 2nd as though it was sliding into the reverse gear dogleg. Has anyone else encountered this?

Engine/Power - I wish it had the power of the 997.2 S which I had driven a week earlier. As it is, the power/feel is a little better than the NSX with more low end torque.

Handling - only with a set cloverleaf ramps to test on, the limits were way higher than I was willing and higher than the S2000 or NSX. Balance was excellent - very neutral and easy to modulate with minor steering and throttle inputs. noticably less rear end movement than the 997. The car stayed very flat through the turns.

Suspension - very compliant considering the handling abilities. Feels as comfortable as the 997.2 S (without PASM). The S2000 is harsher with lower limits. The NSX-S is more bouncy over the bumps.

Assuming I can rationalize the shifter, still have to decide on white or silver, Sport Chrono or not, AC or not, radio or not and most importantly timing. Decided on PSE and rear parking sensors, no cup holder, carbon sport buckets, rear badge delete, sport shifter and HID (though I wish they'd save the weight and just have straight ahead HIDs without the turning). Auto dimming and rain sensor not a big deal either way since the weight penalty is not a big deal. Also curious why they don't offer a cruise control delete option, considering the purpose of the car.

BTW, tires on the car I drove were Bridgestone RE050A. Another one in the dealership had Goodyears on it.

Last edited by s2ktaxi; 06-14-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: added comment about tires.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't see how Bluetooth could work without the stereo; you need the head unit to pair the devices, and the speakers to hear the call.

I agree with the comment on initial turn in compared to the 997. Perhaps it is due to the lower tire pressures spec'd on the Spyder? I haven't played with it yet, as the rest of the suspension is so well set up.

I find the sport shifter to be excellent, although the 3-2 downshift isn't as sweet as the 2-3 upshift.

The car really is about the handling; cloverleaf ramps do not show off its best feature...a feature that, on the right road, makes you forget about things like rear visibility, stereo, and any power deficiency.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great review, thank you!

I'm curious how the sport shift differs as compared to the standard shift, anyone know?

Also, does the PSE add or deduct weight or is it neutral? Anyone know if Porshce has the list of options with associated weights?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, as a cayman owner I found the s2000 steering overly 'darty'... The mid-engine porsche is not really that much less responsive than the s2k as a car, just that the center of the steering rack is a bit slow-ratioed, and that's very nice on the highway.

I thought all 997S's had PASM? So even if you don't press the button, you're riding lower and a touch softer.

Last edited by equ; 06-14-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Sport Buckets are a must have. The seat cushion lifts up. I've heard of someone putting a "carpet sample" in the bottom to raise the height. Also, you can put the "white foam" material that is used for pillows. Comes in different thicknesses to raise the seat the 1/2" you need. Very easy fix.

PSE is a worthwhile option. My car doesn't have it and it's the one option I wish it had. The standard exhaust is too tame for me.

Sport Chrono: I would never order it again. Never found any value in it. Didn't like the look of it and it took up valuable real estate on the dash.

Shifter: My car has the regular shifter and it's smooth as silk. No problems shifting into any gear. I have complete confidence in the shifting. Never worry about missing a shift or having to force it into gear. My other car had the sport shifter and it was too notchy for me. I use my Boxster Spyder for weekend runs in the mountains or canyons. Maybe if I were on the track more I would opt for the Sport Shifter?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you lose the sport button if you don't get Sport Chrono?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Riz
Do you lose the sport button if you don't get Sport Chrono?
Yes - I wish they had a Sport option without the Chrono . Wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to test the PSM with and without Sport mode.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by equ
Funny, as a cayman owner I found the s2000 steering overly 'darty'... The mid-engine porsche is not really that much less responsive than the s2k as a car, just that the center of the steering rack is a bit slow-ratioed, and that's very nice on the highway.

I thought all 997S's had PASM? So even if you don't press the button, you're riding lower and a touch softer.
I think the term "darty" for the S2000 steering is right on - that probably provides the sense of responsiveness. The Porsche suspensions being more damped than the springy Honda tuning contributes to the perception of less responsive feel.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm curious how the sport shift differs as compared to the standard shift, anyone know?

Also, does the PSE add or deduct weight or is it neutral? Anyone know if Porshce has the list of options with associated weights?
The sport shifter is a typical short shift kit; shorter throws, at the expense of heavier weighting and some notchiness. It's a personal preference.

The PSE has motorized flaps and associated wiring, and is not made out of any exotic materials. So it can't weigh less than the standard exhaust...
Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

Re sport shifter- I had the Porsche one put on at the dealer on a 997 and it was noticeably notchier shifting than the regular shifter. I was told it would loosen up after a while and it really did. After a couple thousand miles, it was perfect. I've ordered it on my Spyder so I'm hoping for the same this time too.

Thanks for the excellent review as well. I have another month of waiting before getting mine.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:23 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carcam
Re sport shifter- I had the Porsche one put on at the dealer on a 997 and it was noticeably notchier shifting than the regular shifter. I was told it would loosen up after a while and it really did. After a couple thousand miles, it was perfect. I've ordered it on my Spyder so I'm hoping for the same this time too.

Thanks for the excellent review as well. I have another month of waiting before getting mine.
The standard shifter in the 997.2 seems to be notchier than the 987 to begin with. So, I'm hoping that the short shift for the 987 will also be less notchy than the 997.2
Old 06-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

They are the same, I believe. And they all get significantly smoother over the break-in period.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great feedback regarding the shifter and PSE, thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodyears? Odd.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

Why delete cruise control, it is all electronic and I'll bet the stalk adds 2oz to the overall weight.

Peter

Quick Reply: Spyder test drive impressions and a question