Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster S Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009 | 07:15 PM
batty
Instructor

black, white, guards red, basalt black, aqua blue, silver (can't remember which) and cream white
Old 11-07-2009 | 10:20 PM
N51
Drifting

Get a grip. It's nothing more or less than an a trumped up Boxster.

Throw your flowers. Tell us when you've ordered.
Old 11-08-2009 | 02:08 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Get a grip. It's nothing more or less than an a trumped up Boxster.
As an RSA owner myself, I would have to disagree. Our RSAs did not shave as much weight as this over the standard Carrera of its day, nor did they come with limited slip as standard. The only shame about this car is that Porsche require us to sacrifice the practicality of even a manual folding top for having a car the way it should have been in the first place. Even at that, it is mighty tempting, provided an equivalent Cayman is not produced.
Old 11-08-2009 | 02:19 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
I like it a lot, but not so keen on that "roof". How do you wash the thing without turning it into a fish bowl?
It looks as though you have two options for the roof. It comes in two pieces. The roof top... which protects you from elements from the top... and a second piece that fits under the top across the back connecting to the side windows. You can see it better here:

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:27 PM
Holger B
Race Car

That makes sense...hope it's more watertight than it looks!
Old 11-08-2009 | 02:42 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
That makes sense...hope it's more watertight than it looks!
I should know more at the debut on the 2nd. I'll be attending the press debut at the LA Auto Show and I'll take plenty photos!
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:54 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Cayman
I should know more at the debut on the 2nd. I'll be attending the press debut at the LA Auto Show and I'll take plenty photos!
Thank you!!
Old 11-08-2009 | 06:26 PM
N51
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlr
As an RSA owner myself, I would have to disagree. Our RSAs did not shave as much weight as this over the standard Carrera of its day, nor did they come with limited slip as standard. The only shame about this car is that Porsche require us to sacrifice the practicality of even a manual folding top for having a car the way it should have been in the first place. Even at that, it is mighty tempting, provided an equivalent Cayman is not produced.
My first impressions of the car were: Another RSA. But in my opinion, even less.
A giant ashtray for every vandal. Have always been an admirer of the Boxster, but this iteration gets a pass. Form over function. Just as the RSA, how many will come through w/o AC?
Have never understood the bashing, from some, of the Boxster. But this one does not deliver. Much prefer the standard over the street walker.
Pin those aluminum parts to a standard Boxster.
Old 11-11-2009 | 05:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Less than an RSA?

Both have stiffer suspension, bigger wheels/tires, fixed spoiler, subtle retro graphics, unique door panels, sport seats (the Sport Buckets alone worth the increased price), with AC and radio optional. LSD standard on the Spyder and optional on the RSA.

In addition, the Spyder has unique body panels, including aluminum doors, and a horsepower bump, resulting in a real increase in power/weight ratio.

So while it may not meet your personal needs, the Spyder is certainly not "less" of a focused package than the RSA.
Old 11-11-2009 | 06:24 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Though I'm (pleasantly) surprised that Porsche decided to build such a focused Boxster, one thing the RSA did have going for it is the manual steering, which is wonderful.
Old 11-11-2009 | 07:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

The variable ratio rack in the 987/997 is quite wonderful as well...
Old 11-11-2009 | 09:45 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

It's great as power steering goes (I've owned a 997) but not in the same league as the RSA.
Old 11-12-2009 | 01:18 AM
N51
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Less than an RSA?

Both have stiffer suspension, bigger wheels/tires, fixed spoiler, subtle retro graphics, unique door panels, sport seats (the Sport Buckets alone worth the increased price), with AC and radio optional. LSD standard on the Spyder and optional on the RSA.

In addition, the Spyder has unique body panels, including aluminum doors, and a horsepower bump, resulting in a real increase in power/weight ratio.

So while it may not meet your personal needs, the Spyder is certainly not "less" of a focused package than the RSA.
Compare new to new. The RSA sold for ~$10000 less than a C2.

The Boxster Spyder lists for $3200 more than an 'S'. Add AC. The difference goes to ~$5000. The weight difference drops from 167# to 132#(?).

Porsche lists the Boxster S 0 - 60 performance as 5.0
Porsche lists the Spyder 0 - 60 performance as 4.9

For those who would opt for PDK + AC for the Spyder, the weight difference between it and a manual 'S' would be ~70#. The cost difference, substantially
more.

Does anyone know how much of the weight savings has been attained through
removing the roof and substituting a loin cloth?

I'm not denying this to be a fun car. But as a performance vs. cost alternative to a 'S', those are some interesting numbers.
Old 11-12-2009 | 05:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

You need to compare apples to apples. Comparing a no-option RSA price to a Spyder priced with AC? How about starting with the RSA+LSD, compared to the the base Spyder. Then consider the expensive Sport Buckets that are part of the deal (the RSA's sport seats are comparable to the current Porsche sport seats that are a very minimal upcharge).

Then you go on to compare weight and cost of a PDK+AC Spyder to a manual S? Again, not apples to apples.

If you want to compare Spyder performance vs. cost to an S, consider that an S with Sport Buckets, LSD, ACC, and 19" wheels has an MSRP of $65,350, vs. a Spyder with SPP and ACC at $63,910. That's almost $1,500 less for a Spyder that also has wider 19" wheels, aluminum doors, sport suspension, and a 10hp bump. The Spyder isn't for everybody, but don't bash it on a price vs. performance basis, because it is a true bargain in the Porsche world.

Not to mention the Alcantara interior bits, painted interior bits, and colored belts that would normally be an upcharge, and unique interior and exterior parts that are not available at any price on the S.
Old 11-12-2009 | 08:42 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You need to compare apples to apples. Comparing a no-option RSA price to a Spyder priced with AC? How about starting with the RSA+LSD, compared to the the base Spyder. Then consider the expensive Sport Buckets that are part of the deal (the RSA's sport seats are comparable to the current Porsche sport seats that are a very minimal upcharge).

Then you go on to compare weight and cost of a PDK+AC Spyder to a manual S? Again, not apples to apples.

If you want to compare Spyder performance vs. cost to an S, consider that an S with Sport Buckets, LSD, ACC, and 19" wheels has an MSRP of $65,350, vs. a Spyder with SPP and ACC at $63,910. That's almost $1,500 less for a Spyder that also has wider 19" wheels, aluminum doors, sport suspension, and a 10hp bump. The Spyder isn't for everybody, but don't bash it on a price vs. performance basis, because it is a true bargain in the Porsche world.

Not to mention the Alcantara interior bits, painted interior bits, and colored belts that would normally be an upcharge, and unique interior and exterior parts that are not available at any price on the S.
I agree with Alan on this one. I have my name down for one... and I, for one see it as a bargain. I also agree that this model isn't for everyone though.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Spyder