Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Testing the mkt - any thoughts on what my 987 Spyder is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 12:49 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Testing the mkt - any thoughts on what my 987 Spyder is worth?

Unfortunately I'm at a point where I'm debating selling my Spyder. Curious what you all think it might be worth....

2012, white, black interior. 30K miles. Excellent shape cosmetically, one of the more highly-optioned out there, although PDK, no buckets. That said - not a garage queen despite the low miles. Previous owner had rear bumper damage. The back bumper and the rear quarters look flawless but I'm certain they were sprayed - paint meter shows them at 11mm. Rest checks out at 4-6mm. When I bought it, it came with a certificate that the damage was minimal all original parts used, etc. I looked it over, had it inspected at Porsche Salt Lake City, looked and drove amazing so I didn't care - but clearly if someone is looking for perfection technically this will not be it (not to mention no buckets and pdk).

Also softronic tune, paddle-shift wheel (still have original thumb wheel included), have done a few HPDE in it - 3 days at COTA, a few days at H2R, a few at the old Driveway Austin. New RE71R's on it, maintenance records really only oil/filter/brake fluid changes. Full option list below.

Thank you!

[2501] 7 Speed Porsche Doppelkupplung
(PDK) Automatic Transmission
$3,660
[B4P] Carrara White $0
[V9T] Black (Top) $0
[APS] Black, Leather Sport Seat Trim $0
[P77] Leather Sport Seats $3,655
[640] Sport Chrono PKG Plus $1,480
[XLF] Sport Exhaust System $2,810
[XRR] 19" Carrera Sport Aluminum
Wheels
$2,385
[XDA] Black Painted Wheels $1,815
[P74] Bi Xenon Headlights W/Dynamic
Cornering Lights
$1,560
[P23] PCM 3.0 W/Extended Navigation $3,455
[490] Sound PKG Plus $700
[619] Bluetooth Interface For Mobile
Phone
$0
[810] Interior Color Floor Mats $0
[CGJ] Carrara White Sport Chrono Timer
Display
$500
[XFJ] Carrera White Instrument Dials $690
[573] Automatic Climate Control $1,760
[585] Cupholder $0
[XMK] Exterior Color Roll Bar $535
[288] Headlight Washers
[375] Manual Sport Seat (Left)
[376] Manual Sport Seat (Right)
[603] Bi Xenon(Tm)W/Dynam Corner SYS
[665] PCM 3
[672] PCM With Navigation Module
[HNL] Fabric Door Opening Loop
[ROOF] Manual Two Panel Roof
Old 01-14-2024, 09:11 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

My WAG is that it would pull 50K on BAT.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:47 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

I'd agree, $50k sounds about right, but I could see slightly lower depending on how quickly you want to sell. Sounds like the CarFax shows the damage too? Unfortunately, Porsche guys are super particular about original paint and most car enthusiasts are particular about clean CarFax reports, even though plenty of things don't show up on carfax. I will note that bumper damage only with no mention on CarFax report and you'd probably be fine from a resale perspective. But since metal panels are involved, that may start to impact price and like mentioned if you add in damage on CarFax report that will be another hit.

You have an amazing car, so don't take what I'm saying as a negative mention of your car, but also trying to be realistic in the market. If this was a 6 speed, bucket, red/blue, with only a repainted rear bumper and 30k miles, I could see it being a $65-75k+ car.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:40 AM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

LOVE IT!

Negative details don't bother me. Would be the perfect Spyder for me - if I didn't have my '76 914, 81 928 5-spd and '87 944 S.

I'd keep my '11 987.2 S and mostly drive the Spyder!

GN

PS: Only convertible I'd own, as Enzo Ferrari accurately said, "Playboys drive convertibles. Serious drivers drive coupes." Enzo never saw the Spyder.

The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 10:58 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I'd agree, $50k sounds about right, but I could see slightly lower depending on how quickly you want to sell. Sounds like the CarFax shows the damage too? Unfortunately, Porsche guys are super particular about original paint and most car enthusiasts are particular about clean CarFax reports, even though plenty of things don't show up on carfax. I will note that bumper damage only with no mention on CarFax report and you'd probably be fine from a resale perspective. But since metal panels are involved, that may start to impact price and like mentioned if you add in damage on CarFax report that will be another hit.

You have an amazing car, so don't take what I'm saying as a negative mention of your car, but also trying to be realistic in the market. If this was a 6 speed, bucket, red/blue, with only a repainted rear bumper and 30k miles, I could see it being a $65-75k+ car.
Nothing personal at all! I'm going to list all details if/when I sell it so appreciate the honest opinions. I was thinking somewhere in the $50-60 range with $60 being max. It is a perfect Spyder to drive and not be worried about constantly.

Still can't decide if I am going to let it go - thought I would own it forever.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 119 Posts

Why do you want to sell it? What would you replace it with for $60k that would come close to how it performs, handles, looks etc.?
Old 01-14-2024, 12:08 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
Why do you want to sell it? What would you replace it with for $60k that would come close to how it performs, handles, looks etc.?
Nothing. I've never driven anything I like better. Space constraints, kids going to college, budget, etc.

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2024, 01:18 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
Nothing personal at all! I'm going to list all details if/when I sell it so appreciate the honest opinions. I was thinking somewhere in the $50-60 range with $60 being max. It is a perfect Spyder to drive and not be worried about constantly.

Still can't decide if I am going to let it go - thought I would own it forever.
I think to the right buyer, you're in the right range. Not sure I'd put it on BringATrailer (BAT). I'd probably try here and the PCA Classifieds first. Just given what the prior examples have went for on BAT, I wouldn't want them to set the reserve too low and then not have the right people in the room bidding. I think if you put it at $55k in the classifieds, both here and for PCA, you'd be in a good spot. Keep us posted!
Old 01-14-2024, 05:06 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I think to the right buyer, you're in the right range. Not sure I'd put it on BringATrailer (BAT). I'd probably try here and the PCA Classifieds first. Just given what the prior examples have went for on BAT, I wouldn't want them to set the reserve too low and then not have the right people in the room bidding. I think if you put it at $55k in the classifieds, both here and for PCA, you'd be in a good spot. Keep us posted!
That is kind of what I was thinking as well. I also think it really needs to be seen and driven in person to understand just how good it actually looks condition-wise.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:34 AM
Rumblestrip
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars and Bids would be better than BaT I think if you wanted to go that route.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

I think BAT has become a lousy place to sell if you're a private seller and not a volume dealer and the car isn't the absolute top of its condition/mileage/options. The comments section has become a chorus of misinformation and snark, with unreasonable demands for more and more information and the need to articulate a "story" why you are selling the car.

I don't know whether Cars and Bids is any better, haven't followed it very much. I think selling here and through PCA is probably best bet for our cars these days.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:49 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

BTW I love your Spyder, think it would be a perfect driver. Don't really have an opinion what it's "worth" but I've tended to pay extra for a known history and a caring owner. If you sold it yourself and not through a consignment dealer you should get good money.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:34 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I think BAT has become a lousy place to sell if you're a private seller and not a volume dealer and the car isn't the absolute top of its condition/mileage/options. The comments section has become a chorus of misinformation and snark, with unreasonable demands for more and more information and the need to articulate a "story" why you are selling the car.

I don't know whether Cars and Bids is any better, haven't followed it very much. I think selling here and through PCA is probably best bet for our cars these days.
Well stated Andy. I also do not have any experience with Cars and Bids, but am looking for alternatives to the BaT peanut gallery

DaveGee
Old 01-15-2024, 03:01 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Well stated Andy. I also do not have any experience with Cars and Bids, but am looking for alternatives to the BaT peanut gallery

DaveGee
Thanks for the feedback - completely agree on BAT. Still go there about every day for the eye candy, but it can be a beat-down for a seller.

Curious what you guys think of one of the inspections I got when I bought it. I think you can view it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RCw...ew?usp=sharing

Old 01-15-2024, 06:45 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
Thanks for the feedback - completely agree on BAT. Still go there about every day for the eye candy, but it can be a beat-down for a seller.

Curious what you guys think of one of the inspections I got when I bought it. I think you can view it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RCw...ew?usp=sharing
Report doesn't look concerning. Most buyers, as you'd expect, will want a PPI. But the fact that you had it inspected and nothing was discovered as being incorrect, I doubt the new PPI would find anything provided that everything else is solid mechanically, which I'd guess it is with an enthusiast owner.