Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Engine Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 07:10 AM
badapag
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Engine Tunes

Can I get some feedback from the group on engine tunes? I’m just looking for that extra 10-20hp. I see softtronic has the biggest gain, but I never used their product. I prefer giac or fvd only because I’ve used them in the past. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Old 01-10-2024, 07:36 AM
badapag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by badapag
Can I get some feedback from the group on engine tunes? I’m just looking for that extra 10-20hp. I see softtronic has the biggest gain, but I never used their product. I prefer giac or fvd only because I’ve used them in the past. Thanks in advance.

Tony
and I understand that’s all the hp you’ll get out of the motor. I don’t want to switch plenums either thanks
Old 01-14-2024, 10:11 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,101 Posts

No experience, but figured I'd take this thread to the top to hopefully get you some input from others. I'll just say that I remember seeing Softronic advertising 15+ years ago in Excellence magazine, so I'd have some faith in them that they've been around for that long. Personally I wouldn't tune an NA engine for power. Only reason I'd add a tune is if you were looking to adjust throttle response or if you had put headers on your car and you needed to code out a check engine light because you went catless. I don't think you're going to feel any difference with an extra 10-20hp.

987 Spyder is all about how it feels on a backroad, cornering, braking (due to the lightness), being able to take the motor to redline. I'd just enjoy the power level as is.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:38 PM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently looked at Softronics and FVD. Both make similar claims. Only FVD said they could increase the redline RPM for a PDK. I'm going with them when I do this.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:25 PM
badapag
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bxstr
No experience, but figured I'd take this thread to the top to hopefully get you some input from others. I'll just say that I remember seeing Softronic advertising 15+ years ago in Excellence magazine, so I'd have some faith in them that they've been around for that long. Personally I wouldn't tune an NA engine for power. Only reason I'd add a tune is if you were looking to adjust throttle response or if you had put headers on your car and you needed to code out a check engine light because you went catless. I don't think you're going to feel any difference with an extra 10-20hp.

987 Spyder is all about how it feels on a backroad, cornering, braking (due to the lightness), being able to take the motor to redline. I'd just enjoy the power level as is.
If I decide to do anything, it would be with FVD. I'm looking for a little bit more throttle response for when I take it for track day. They have a small back straight that the big guys pull from me.

Other than track days, the car is used on the beautiful backorders where I live. Where it belongs.
Cheers
Tony

Old 01-17-2024, 01:40 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I put a Softronic tune on my 987 Spyder, and I definitely noticed a difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by daylorb:
badapag (01-17-2024), Zeus993 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 04:57 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm going to try FVD Brombacher this year. I'll install it once the car is out of winter hibernation. I have FVD on a 987.1 Boxster and like it a lot. It seems to give the car more liveliness while keeping throttle response linear.
The following users liked this post:
badapag (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:22 AM
Ric In RVA
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

Before doing a tune I'd throw a Sprint Booster on there. It really makes a massive difference. The car should have been delivered this way.

No engine tune (And no worries about messing something up!) , no change in HP but the power delivery is totally different.

I was shocked at at ow "RIGHT" the car felt.

2009 2.9 manual cayman.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:05 PM
badapag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ric In RVA
Before doing a tune I'd throw a Sprint Booster on there. It really makes a massive difference. The car should have been delivered this way.

No engine tune (And no worries about messing something up!) , no change in HP but the power delivery is totally different.

I was shocked at at ow "RIGHT" the car felt.

2009 2.9 manual cayman.

I'm not familiar with a sprint booster? Interesting
Old 01-20-2024, 03:53 PM
Ric In RVA
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...r_V3--SPRPO014

works very well. Feels like a cable throttle and car is much more lively.
The following users liked this post:
badapag (01-21-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 06:14 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

FVD FTW! Rhonda is the best and handles most of their North America stuff.

Tried going the Softronics route but couldn't get a response and when I finally did, the dude was a total ***. Have seen similar postings from others online. Reputation for bad communication and poor service when help is needed.

Sprint boosters just make the throttle more sensitive, a negative IMO. Less ability to modulate partial throttle mid-corner or at the limit.

Last edited by Zach L; 01-26-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:14 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
FVD FTW! Rhonda is the best and handles most of their North America stuff.

Tried going the Softronics route but couldn't get a response and when I finally did, the dude was a total ***. Have seen similar postings from others online. Reputation for bad communication and poor service when help is needed.

Sprint boosters just make the throttle more sensitive, a negative IMO. Less ability to modulate partial throttle mid-corner or at the limit.
What Zach said. FVD Brombacher is first rate.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:07 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 167 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by badapag

Tony
Hello Tony,
Give me a call if you like to go over what can or cant be done and what to expect in a tune. Ive been working with Porsche cars and customers since 1984 in tuning, engine building , racing etc ..... You can find more info also on what used to be the Cayman Club and now Planet 9 dating back to 2006 or so and other forums. Should you get a VM just leave a message and I will call you back as Im often on the phone with other customers or send me an email with a contact number. Ive been busy as we are now also doing another series for the PCA Racing.

Best,
Scott
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Quick Reply: Engine Tunes