Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder : MT vs PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 02:54 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 70 Posts

my '11 Spyder with PDK is my first non-manual sports car in 50 years. I really like it. For me, it represents a kind of pinnacle example of Porsche engineering. Likely the best dual-clutch box out there. Lightening quick, engaging in its own way. Sports wheel and paddles of course. It's fun, fast and somewhere you'll be able to find the weight it adds over the manual. I don't think that's a deal breaker. Full disclosure, the Spyder's garage mate is a manual '08 911 C4 S. So, I experience the best of both worlds. The cars, the transmissions, the handling, the experience in these two are completely different, obviously. This puts me in the position of being unable to answer the question: "Do you prefer the PDK over the manual or vice versa?" I suggest you test drive a manual Spyder and a PDK Spyder and then decide.
The following 3 users liked this post by grgallo:
alemaniac (08-11-2023), Spyderblack (08-08-2023), Zeus993 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 04:01 AM
Aclmin
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not an owner of a Spyder, but recently test drove a PDK and a manual. This is just my own experience but they honestly felt like two different cars. I've never owned or even driven another PDK, so bare that in mind, but based on my experience I would only get a manual - It was so much more engaging. I feel like the PDKs strength is to make the car more 'all purpose' which is not why I personally would want a Spyder, as it would only be used for an 'event drive'. If the purpose was both hard driving, and Riviera cruising, the PDK would make more sense.
The following users liked this post:
Spyderblack (08-27-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:32 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

My 987.2 Spyder is MT and my 991 GT3 is PDK. I imagine the GT3 PDK is a generation better but I would still prefer the MT in the Spyder, and frankly in _any_ sportscar that is primarily road use. I absolutely love the PDK in the GT3 on the track… the recoil of a 9k insta-shift is exhilarating, and it allows me to focus on lines and brake points and getting pure laps. Even then I always run the PDK in manu-mode though, to remain engaged with the car and weight transfer etc. But on the road or even up to 8/10ths driving on a track I prefer an MT. I don’t find an MT taxing in city traffic at all but then again I’ve been driving them for decades and the movements are pretty subconscious.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skid:
joliver3 (08-09-2023), Spyderblack (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:55 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid
My 987.2 Spyder is MT and my 991 GT3 is PDK. I imagine the GT3 PDK is a generation better but I would still prefer the MT in the Spyder, and frankly in _any_ sportscar that is primarily road use. I absolutely love the PDK in the GT3 on the track… the recoil of a 9k insta-shift is exhilarating, and it allows me to focus on lines and brake points and getting pure laps. Even then I always run the PDK in manu-mode though, to remain engaged with the car and weight transfer etc. But on the road or even up to 8/10ths driving on a track I prefer an MT. I don’t find an MT taxing in city traffic at all but then again I’ve been driving them for decades and the movements are pretty subconscious.
Yep, this all the way. Although I sold my 991.2 Targa several months ago, it had the PDK and my Spyder has a MT. A perfect mix. Unfortunately I ran out of space and something had to go. The Spyder is still here. ‘Nuff said.

DaveGee

Spyder_2011 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 06:38 AM
P T
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Pdk all day everyday
Old 08-11-2023, 03:31 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Never owned a PDK prior to the Spyder. No desire to sell or get the MT version. No regrets. Now,however, the carbon buckets (std seats) are 100 percent critical. As is the PSE, IMO. Also wouldn't want one with std headlights. The PCCB's are also super nice and I couldn't go back to steels after having these. My .02.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:15 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

>>carbon buckets (std seats) are 100 percent critical<<

Just curious - why are the carbon buckets 100% critical? Critical for what? In your opinion of course.

DaveGee
Old 08-11-2023, 06:36 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGee

Just curious - why are the carbon buckets 100% critical? Critical for what? In your opinion of course.

DaveGee

Since I cannot think of any advantage of the sport seats over the carbons, and the carbons sit at the perfect height for me, are incredibly comfortable and hold me well, and look much better, I’d pick the carbon buckets every time. They also aren’t as common to find and only add to the rarity of a given spec. My .02, once again.
The following 2 users liked this post by alemaniac:
DaveGee (08-11-2023), islaTurbine (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:37 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee

DaveGee
Simply because they look SUPER COOL and they fit nice and snug!
islaTurbine (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:33 PM
alemaniac
Racer

I mean, I could probably be faster and more comfortable in a Camaro, but its aesthetics are a dealbreaker. I happen to think the 987 is a beautiful machine, pinnacle of that era for Porsche.
John McM (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

While I do love my buckets, they’ve been out of the car for almost a year now and sitting covered in the basement. With 3 youngish kids my wife and I seldom get out in the car ourselves anymore so more often than not it was me and one of our boys whose heads happen to hit exactly where the plastic cutouts are in the buckets! Since this was our foreseeable future I reinstalled my original sport seats and the kids find them much more comfortable. The things we do for family!

I’m actually thinking of selling them rather than them sit around unused. (Gasp!)
Old 08-12-2023, 10:46 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Non Spyder owner (987.2 Cayman 6MT), but feel compelled to chime in.

Manual vs PDK: you do you, but to me 6MT every day. The manual, with the updated Porsche cables, is one of the best parts of this car. To me it fits the ethos of these "last of the (semi) analog Porsche" sports cars. I also prefer manual in my daily driven Golf R, I just like the involvement. Wife has a BMW M240i on the way and the ZF8 is awesome, but I'll still take a manual.

PSE: I don't get this one at all, if I had it I would be valves open 100% of the time. As such just give me a Carnewal gutted exhaust, like I have. Lighter, simpler, less buttons.

Sport Chrono: looks terrible but option for less laggy e-gas would be nice. Personally I'm just planning on a FVD tune to sharpen my car up.

Buckets: buckets were the right choice obviously for those who bought Spyder's/R's, or hell ANY 987.2 back in the day. A $2700 option on the series production cars was a no brainer IMO. Swapping to the sports seats for $0, or to get heating, was just a terrible mistake made by original Spyder purchasers IMO. Now, what's done is done. So what to do? The cost of 997 buckets is now beyond the point of insane. I think the last set on BaT sold for $15,000!!!!!! You are competing with 997 GT3 RS owners who want these seats so the ship has sailed for 987 owners. Now's the time to grab Recaro Pole Position's and be happy. They have the same basic shape and construction as the 997 buckets, which I'm guessing were also made by Recaro. They come with a couple of cool fabric options. They look spectacular. They are a FRACTION of the price as used 997 buckets. I'm biased...

The following 2 users liked this post by KrisA:
SeanPatrick31 (09-08-2023), Spyder_2011 (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 05:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
Non Spyder owner (987.2 Cayman 6MT), but feel compelled to chime in.

Manual vs PDK: you do you, but to me 6MT every day. The manual, with the updated Porsche cables, is one of the best parts of this car. To me it fits the ethos of these "last of the (semi) analog Porsche" sports cars. I also prefer manual in my daily driven Golf R, I just like the involvement. Wife has a BMW M240i on the way and the ZF8 is awesome, but I'll still take a manual.

PSE: I don't get this one at all, if I had it I would be valves open 100% of the time. As such just give me a Carnewal gutted exhaust, like I have. Lighter, simpler, less buttons.

Sport Chrono: looks terrible but option for less laggy e-gas would be nice. Personally I'm just planning on a FVD tune to sharpen my car up.

Buckets: buckets were the right choice obviously for those who bought Spyder's/R's, or hell ANY 987.2 back in the day. A $2700 option on the series production cars was a no brainer IMO. Swapping to the sports seats for $0, or to get heating, was just a terrible mistake made by original Spyder purchasers IMO. Now, what's done is done. So what to do? The cost of 997 buckets is now beyond the point of insane. I think the last set on BaT sold for $15,000!!!!!! You are competing with 997 GT3 RS owners who want these seats so the ship has sailed for 987 owners. Now's the time to grab Recaro Pole Position's and be happy. They have the same basic shape and construction as the 997 buckets, which I'm guessing were also made by Recaro. They come with a couple of cool fabric options. They look spectacular. They are a FRACTION of the price as used 997 buckets. I'm biased...

To me, a Spyder has to be original to maintain my interest. I have two, one with buckets and one with sofas. The latter is being rebuilt so I’m keen to get it on the road and see what the comparison is like.
islaTurbine (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 06:22 PM
liffeying
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a PDK 987 Spyder back in April. It’s definitely not a wrong choice for this car. I also live in a city, so I have lots of stop and go traffic to drive it through before I get to the fun roads.

IMO, I think the PDK in manual mode is still quite engaging. Taking a tight corner at the right speed, breaking hard, downshifting at the right time, and nailing the revs out of the corner is thrilling.

I know I’m in the minority, but do I really care that the car will do all the downshifting and throttle blipping for me when I come to a stop at a traffic light or all the other yeoman’s work that is necessary when driving on public roads? Not at all.

PSE and sports chrono are must haves for this car. LWBS are over hyped IMO, and I dare say MT is as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by liffeying:
John McM (08-12-2023), SCMike (08-12-2023), Spyderblack (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 07:09 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by liffeying
I bought a PDK 987 Spyder back in April. It’s definitely not a wrong choice for this car. I also live in a city, so I have lots of stop and go traffic to drive it through before I get to the fun roads.

IMO, I think the PDK in manual mode is still quite engaging. Taking a tight corner at the right speed, breaking hard, downshifting at the right time, and nailing the revs out of the corner is thrilling.

I know I’m in the minority, but do I really care that the car will do all the downshifting and throttle blipping for me when I come to a stop at a traffic light or all the other yeoman’s work that is necessary when driving on public roads? Not at all.

PSE and sports chrono are must haves for this car. LWBS are over hyped IMO, and I dare say MT is as well.
Amen to all your points, esp. the final two sentences.
The following 4 users liked this post by SCMike:
aka_Marty (08-25-2023), alemaniac (08-14-2023), islaTurbine (08-12-2023), John McM (08-12-2023)

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder : MT vs PDK?