Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New to Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 12:26 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts
Default New to Spyder

Just a quick note to introduce myself. In an effort to change things up, I recently swapped my 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.1 Carrera for a 2011 Spyder (Carrara White, black/heated sofas, manual, ~15k miles) and a 911SC 3.6 project. Took delivery of the Spyder over the weekend and couldn't be more excited to enjoy the open-air experience on the Colorado mountain twisties. Initial reactions confirm that the Spyder is as special as others on this forum have previously noted. I spent a lot of time reading up on here before jumping in, so thanks to you all for your helpful posts.

Separately, my car is fitted with OEM black wheels (with the silver trim around the outside of the rim), which were not specified on my car's build sheet. They are in flawless condition. If anyone is interested in trading a silver set for my black set, please let me know.

Best regards, Zach
The following 3 users liked this post by zdet:
arod2051 (09-17-2022), badapag (09-27-2022), grgallo (09-14-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 08:01 PM
rich c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Congratulations! Welcome to the very special Spyder club. I suspect you are asking the same question I do..."Why did I wait so long?" Don't get me wrong, I still love my 9111's, but find myself grabbing the Spyder keys much more than planned. Enjoy the twisties!
The following 2 users liked this post by rich c4s:
arod2051 (09-17-2022), zdet (09-13-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 03:06 PM
arod2051
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! I still have that giddy feeling when I start 'er up, drive her through quiet hilly roads, and see her sitting in the garage. The flying buttresses with the really inconvenient don-doff is so cool to look at. Then the drive is really perfect for me in the short run canyon twisties to Monterey bay. My previous 996TT was super fun to drive too, but more car than I needed on the roads.

Congrats again. I think we all picked a winner.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:13 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! Obviously very different cars, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the 997 and if you miss the 997.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:36 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a set of silvers from my Cayman R I may be interested in trading, if you can pm reach me that way.

Andy
Old 09-17-2022, 11:46 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
Congrats and enjoy! Obviously very different cars, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the 997 and if you miss the 997.
There are enough similarities with the 997 for the Spyder to feel familiar, but the midship-mounted engine, open-air experience, and lightness make for a huge smile. It's a blast. From a driving perspective, it's better than the .1 Carrera in every department, and, for the driving that I do, it's more usable and playful than the GT3 RS, which was an occasion every time it left the garage. Like the RS, the Spyder feels special. I was just ready to try something different. I had two 997 GT3s before the RS and a 997 C4 before the Carrera (5 997s in total), and I still believe the 997s are one of the best expressions of the 911, especially the GTs. For now, I'm (mostly) not looking back!

Originally Posted by andy7777
I have a set of silvers from my Cayman R I may be interested in trading, if you can pm reach me that way.

Andy
Andy, thank you. I think I have a trade lined up with another RLer. I'll reach out, if something changes.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Dana R
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by zdet
Just a quick note to introduce myself. In an effort to change things up, I recently swapped my 997.1 GT3 RS and 997.1 Carrera for a 2011 Spyder (Carrara White, black/heated sofas, manual, ~15k miles) and a 911SC 3.6 project. Took delivery of the Spyder over the weekend and couldn't be more excited to enjoy the open-air experience on the Colorado mountain twisties. Initial reactions confirm that the Spyder is as special as others on this forum have previously noted. I spent a lot of time reading up on here before jumping in, so thanks to you all for your helpful posts.

Separately, my car is fitted with OEM black wheels (with the silver trim around the outside of the rim), which were not specified on my car's build sheet. They are in flawless condition. If anyone is interested in trading a silver set for my black set, please let me know.

Best regards, Zach
Congrats and welcome to the unique driving experience of the 987 Spyder. One thing to think about with the wheels is that the factory silver paint on mine is kind of dull, especially compared to my 718 GTS 4.0. I think the Cayman R actually has a brighter silver on the same lightweight wheels.

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2022, 05:00 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dana R
Congrats and welcome to the unique driving experience of the 987 Spyder. One thing to think about with the wheels is that the factory silver paint on mine is kind of dull, especially compared to my 718 GTS 4.0. I think the Cayman R actually has a brighter silver on the same lightweight wheels.
Thank you. Interesting...all of the 997 wheels that I have had have, to my knowledge, been the same color silver (with wheel centers being interchangeable).
Old 09-20-2022, 09:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Congrats Zach! Excited to hear more of your thoughts on it as you put some miles on it.

I’m a huge fan of the 987 Spyder/cayman R platform. I’ve driven my friends Cayman R, ridden in it a lot, and it feels so special. Would absolutely consider one for myself and have recommended them to many people.

I frequent this forum quite a bit too, so I’ll look for more posts from you.

Enjoy it!
Old 09-23-2022, 07:02 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Congrats! That's a great choice in the cars you purchased... very cool situation with switching things up. I imagine it was kind of difficult letting go of the RS. Enjoy
Old 09-26-2022, 11:53 AM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana R

Has anyone finally nailed the color code or a match for the 2011-12 factory silver paint on the 987 Spyder wheels? Would be good to have some touchup, but I keep reading that it is different than other silver P car wheels of that era.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:53 PM
corecar
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats from another Colorado 987 Spyder owner! Hope to see you out enjoying it.
The following users liked this post:
zdet (10-12-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 05:04 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Just purchased my second 987.2 Spyder. Traded my 50th Anniversary 911 which I got an outstanding return on investment. I've also owned a RS60 Spyder 6 speed w/red interior and 981 Spyder guards red/black alcantara, so this is my Spyder #4. My previous was metallic black/red leather PDK with sport seats. This one is jet black/black leather interior 6 speed with CF buckets, auto AC. Looking forward to getting it. It's being shipped to Hawaii, where incidentally it was delivered in 2012. I had the dealer replace the serpentine belt (original) and fit 4 new Michelin N rated tires. First up is an updated stereo with front and rear backup cameras. Car does not have Bose nor PSE or Sport Plus. May think about adding Sport Plus or just get a tune.

Had a 2012 Cayman R too, jet black with black standard interior, CF buckets, 6 speed, PCCB, Bose, factory short shift, PCM with nav, sport chrono, auto AC.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 10-07-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:59 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Just purchased my second 987.2 Spyder. Traded my 50th Anniversary 911 which I got an outstanding return on investment. I've also owned a RS60 Spyder 6 speed w/red interior and 981 Spyder guards red/black alcantara, so this is my Spyder #4. My previous was metallic black/red leather PDK with sport seats. This one is jet black/black leather interior 6 speed with CF buckets, auto AC. Looking forward to getting it. It's being shipped to Hawaii, where incidentally it was delivered in 2012. I had the dealer replace the serpentine belt (original) and fit 4 new Michelin N rated tires. First up is an updated stereo with front and rear backup cameras. Car does not have Bose nor PSE or Sport Plus. May think about adding Sport Plus or just get a tune.

Had a 2012 Cayman R too, jet black with black standard interior, CF buckets, 6 speed, PCCB, Bose, factory short shift, PCM with nav, sport chrono, auto AC.
Congrats on your latest acquisition. Coincidentally, I’m also a previous 911/50 and RS-60 owner. Great minds and all that…

I’m watching your stereo replacement with cameras project with interest. I want to do the same. As much as I love the simplicity of the Spyder, all my other cars have CarPlay and backup cameras and I find that I really miss them when driving the Spyder. Please keep us posted or better yet, start a new thread on the project.

DaveGee
Old 10-07-2022, 06:15 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Congrats on your latest acquisition. Coincidentally, I’m also a previous 911/50 and RS-60 owner. Great minds and all that…

I’m watching your stereo replacement with cameras project with interest. I want to do the same. As much as I love the simplicity of the Spyder, all my other cars have CarPlay and backup cameras and I find that I really miss them when driving the Spyder. Please keep us posted or better yet, start a new thread on the project.

DaveGee
Will do. I have the 7" stereo mounting kit already on order from Suncoast Porsche Parts. Thinking about the Alpine iLX-W650 or iLX-507 digital multimedia receiver with Focal or JL Audio speakers in the doors and dash corners, and moderate amp to power it. Main point is to have bluetooth, AppleCarPlay, two cameras, and decent sound while still keeping the car looking fairly unmolested.

Quick Reply: New to Spyder