Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New to Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 06:52 PM
Dana R
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

You can retrofit the sport chrono which will give you sport but not sport plus, which is for PDK cars. I just ordered the PSE from Gert at carnewal.com, and the dollar is so strong against the Euro, it was several hundred dollars less than Suncoast/
Old 10-12-2022, 11:51 AM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Dana R
You can retrofit the sport chrono which will give you sport but not sport plus, which is for PDK cars. I just ordered the PSE from Gert at carnewal.com, and the dollar is so strong against the Euro, it was several hundred dollars less than Suncoast/
I did the Sport retrofit on my 997 Carrera and thought that it was well worth it (no power difference, but much preferred the throttle response with Sport mode on). It's an easy install and the coding can be done by a dealer in <1 hour. May also do it to Spyder. Dana R...good call on carnewal.com for the PSE. I ordered it from Suncoast (it won't ship until mid-November) and obviously overpaid....
Old 10-13-2022, 08:34 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

I have a 6-speed manual. The main reasons to have Sport mode is it turns off the soft rev-limiter, which normally kicks in like 1200 RPM prior to redline and starts cutting power significantly prior to the hard redline. This will have a huge effect at track/autocross straights. The other reason is the adjustments you can make to PSM (traction control) and ABS... you effectively have 4 settings for each rather than just 2. The PSM in Sport mode is phenomenal, allowing you to throttle steer and trail brake without it cutting in. It will let the car slip a bit yet somehow knows when you are really losing control. I'm not a fan of the increased throttle sensitivity at all... it actually makes mid-corner throttle modulation more difficult since it compresses the throttle down to a smaller, tighter range.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:27 AM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

Zach L, thanks for the insight. Do you know whether PSM is more sensitive on the 987 platform than on the 997 platform? From my limited experience (on the road only), PSM seems to intervene on the 987 at a noticeably lower threshold.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:23 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by zdet
Zach L, thanks for the insight. Do you know whether PSM is more sensitive on the 987 platform than on the 997 platform? From my limited experience (on the road only), PSM seems to intervene on the 987 at a noticeably lower threshold.
I've never played around with PSM settings on a 997 so I can't comment on how they differ.

On the 987, the ideal track settings IMO are leaving PSM on while turning on Sport mode. It's unbelievable how 'intelligent' it is. The intervention is very limited. I like knowing it's there especially on tracks with high-speed corners and walls. Not looking to leave the track on a flatbed. With all the nannies on, it's pretty much impossible to drive hard around a track... it'll cut throttle coming out of nearly every turn and will burn up the rear brakes with how much it intervenes.

Last edited by Zach L; 10-14-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: New to Spyder