Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 06:14 PM
ExigentM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder Purchase

I've been doing some research but can't figure out if the carbon fiber seats are one-piece or does the back fold forward?
Old 07-12-2022, 06:21 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,084 Posts

987/997 buckets (like the ones found in the Spyder and Cayman R) fold, but they do not recline.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:21 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 262 Posts

GT2 folding buckets FTW!
Old 07-15-2022, 11:31 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 288 Posts

I like them much more than the GT3 non-folding buckets of the 981/991 because the GT2 folding ones are narrower (made for a normal size person).

Like the cars, the seats (and people) keep getting fatter.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:59 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

The only issue I have is the height of the GT2 folding buckets. I have yet to sit in a set with lowering brackets and/or thinner foam. Hoping that would make the difference and that I could then be comfortable in them but not willing to make that purchase until I can sit in a set with that done. The fixed buckets in the 981/991 cars sit plenty low for me.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:44 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you mean that the seat height is too low, I found a cheap and easy solution for my 987.2 Spyder. The bottom seat cushion pulls up and out revealing the seat bucket. Cut some firm carpet pad to fit the seat bucket. I put an inch or a little more in. When the seat cushion is put back over the carpet pad you will neither see or feel the carpet pad but you will be boosted up in the air 1 inch or so. I'm short so it really helped my driving position as well as lessening the feeling that my butt is disappearing into a bucket. My knees no longer point up in the air so much and circulation to my legs and feet are better.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:24 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm sure he meant he sits too high in them as it's a relatively common complaint. I'm 5'9" on my best day and I wish I sat lower in the buckets for sure. It just hasn't bothered me enough to seek out lowering brackets.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john weires
If you mean that the seat height is too low, I found a cheap and easy solution for my 987.2 Spyder. The bottom seat cushion pulls up and out revealing the seat bucket. Cut some firm carpet pad to fit the seat bucket. I put an inch or a little more in. When the seat cushion is put back over the carpet pad you will neither see or feel the carpet pad but you will be boosted up in the air 1 inch or so. I'm short so it really helped my driving position as well as lessening the feeling that my butt is disappearing into a bucket. My knees no longer point up in the air so much and circulation to my legs and feet are better.
Originally Posted by AWay
I'm sure he meant he sits too high in them as it's a relatively common complaint. I'm 5'9" on my best day and I wish I sat lower in the buckets for sure. It just hasn't bothered me enough to seek out lowering brackets.
Yes, meant sit too high. The lowering brackets can also raise the seat .75”. But I think for myself to fit I’d need thinner foam and lowering brackets. Rake of the seat is also a bit more aggressive than I’m used to. I think whether you’re taller or average height, sitting low in the car is good for feeling like you’re connected with the driving experience. The 981/991 fixed buckets (not folding) definitely give the connected, low down in the car feeling.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder Purchase