Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Wash your Spyder with top up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 11:34 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wash your Spyder with top up or down?

Ok, so I may be an idiot, but does anyone wash their Spyder with the top down? Given that the top leaks pretty easily and I was too lazy to pull it out, I tried washing my car without the top. As long as I was careful with the spray and put down some strategically placed towels, not much water came into the car. Also makes wiping down the interior easier cause the tops off already.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:40 AM
molarman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=crossroads;17563348]Ok, so I may be an idiot, but does anyone wash their Spyder with the top down? Given that the top leaks pretty easily and I was too lazy to pull it out, I tried washing my car without the top. As long as I was careful with the spray and put down some strategically placed towels, not much water came into the car. Also makes wiping down the interior easier cause the tops off already.[/QUOTE

Wonder which Spyder you have...I have a 981 and put the top up without any issues. If not too dirty, then will use a spray on car wash and leave to down.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:16 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I couldn't imagine washing with it down but perhaps just not brave enough to try. I haven't noticed mine leaking anywhere and I always wash with it up. Perhaps one or two drops trickle down the inside of the side windows occasionally but that's the extent of it.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:12 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
I couldn't imagine washing with it down but perhaps just not brave enough to try. I haven't noticed mine leaking anywhere and I always wash with it up. Perhaps one or two drops trickle down the inside of the side windows occasionally but that's the extent of it.
Same. I've used both a hose and a pressure washer, and haven't had anything more than a few drips inside. If you're getting any sort of substantial water inside you're either aiming at the vulnerable points (around the edges of the windows) too long or there's something wrong.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:37 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 731 Posts

Why wouldn’t you put the top up to wash? It take 3 minutes, less time than the extra finesse needed to not accidentally spray your inside
The following users liked this post:
alemaniac (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:42 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not ashamed to say that I do it with the Top down…but also with the windows up, no issues. Kind’a follows suit with the unorthodox top. The only time the top goes on is when I become part of the 20% chance of rain statistic, the temp is hovering close to freezing, or close to triple digits...and that’s just the top, no back/side curtains. As much I love the top’s simplistic and brilliant design, I also have to admit that this in not the first convertible I have owned and washed with the top down.
It’s all in the technique, lol.
Enjoy your Spyders in whichever configuration makes you happy, very few people have that opportunity!
The following users liked this post:
Miggytosh (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 09:03 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have perfected hand washing my Spyder with the top down. It saves time and fooling around with the cumbersome top.
Just be careful rinsing and have some towels on hand to block where stray water might get into the interior.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:31 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies. At least I'm not the only one. And I did have the windows up when I washed it. Not having to put the top up and then down gives me less anxiety since I do it alone 100% of the time. Hovering the top over the car as I get it in place always is a little stressful.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:41 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 276 Posts

Didn’t I read somewhere that these tops aren’t supposed to washed unless using some special type of cleaner?

Quick Reply: Wash your Spyder with top up or down?