Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My 987 (Berg)Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Tasteful Mods and nod to Porsche history
Would your tailor like to make any more ?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:46 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

I love the stripe job, gorgeous car.

Doesnt getting the leather bits go against the stripped down ethos of the car though? I have the Cayman R with the same interior, and the door cards are simpler versions of the regular car. Adding leather wouldn't occur to me.

And yes, the plastic bits are plasticky, for sure. At least they dont weigh very much.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I love the stripe job, gorgeous car.

Doesnt getting the leather bits go against the stripped down ethos of the car though? I have the Cayman R with the same interior, and the door cards are simpler versions of the regular car. Adding leather wouldn't occur to me.

And yes, the plastic bits are plasticky, for sure. At least they dont weigh very much.
I agree that adding leather to certain trim will add weight although not much. But with the dash, doors and other trim pieces which are usually rubber the stock leather from the factory is actually lighter so while maybe not as focused it does fit the Spyder ethos!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I agree that adding leather to certain trim will add weight although not much. But with the dash, doors and other trim pieces which are usually rubber the stock leather from the factory is actually lighter so while maybe not as focused it does fit the Spyder ethos!
Why not, these cars are so gorgeous that I doubt I'd notice. I've given more than a passing thought to adding the Spyder to the Cayman R in my garage. That means I'd have to sell my '07 Boxster S though, and I love that car. Plus I really like the electric roof here in Michigan, and, more importantly, my wife likes the electric roof here in Michigan. I think I've ever only seen one Spyder in real life, a white one like the OP's, and it's one of the most handsome cars I've ever seen.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
Doesnt getting the leather bits go against the stripped down ethos of the car though?
I do not know if it's against it on not. What I know for sure is that crap plastic pieces go against my taste

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Would your tailor like to make any more ?
I doubt it... He already hated me for making one. First time I go there I can ask but I can imagine that: "No! Stop with these stupid things" will be his answer.

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Here’s a pic from the parts catalog:
This is what I'd like (exclusive code EBF, page 30 here), and then of course the handle surronds (random examples below)

Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exclusive Option offers the leather parts for anyone who wants to upgrade. http://shop.exclusiveoption.com
Old 01-26-2019, 07:24 PM
j-kite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the inspiration and execution of the stripes!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:19 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by j-kite
Love the inspiration and execution of the stripes!
+1 Love the historical tie-in.

Ale, I could never understand why the stripe didn't extend down over the rear trunk lid, but this explains it! Well done!
Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Exclusive Option offers the leather parts for anyone who wants to upgrade. http://shop.exclusiveoption.com
Exactly! The two sample pictures above are taken from that website.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Ale, I could never understand why the stripe didn't extend down over the rear trunk lid, but this explains it! Well done!
I was not sure about the final result until when “we” did it, and originally I wanted the green on the spoiler to go to the end of it, in the back.
For technical reason that was not possible (not possible at least in one piece, and I hate wrap joints). I have to say that I am happy it went like this.
Looking at the car from the back, having the upper part of the spoiler in green, it makes it more “visible” and -at the same time- the mono colour makes it looks wider.

(here in the standard dirty winter mode, much worse in metal than in pic)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive always liked the unique design you used for the stripes...I like them even better with the back story.
I’m lucky, I have full leather but as we have discussed in another thread, it’s a shame and annoying to me that Porsche used as much plastic as they did in such a special car. All of the leather touches you have added are in all the right places and help take the Spyder to the level it should have been (at least as options) when it left the factory. Nicely done!
Really Like the look of the stripes from the back view as well!!
thanks for the posts, pics and story!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:20 PM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very sporty and nicely done.
Do you have the leather roll hoop pads? These are a great spot for some custom leather or Alcantara.

The following users liked this post:
Fresh.Sizzle (01-13-2021)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by destroid
Do you have the leather roll hoop pads? These are a great spot for some custom leather or Alcantara.

Wow. Those are supernice and they look superb with the roll hope structure painted. And I really like them in Alcantara. I need to check how complicated is to remove them and then get a quote, but I fear that it will not be cheap. And, on top, I have the roll hops in black. Good point though, I need to investigate further!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:15 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destroid

Nice upgrade! I don’t recall seeing anyone else do this in the past. Who made these?

The full leather option covers the roll hoops in leather too but Porsche didn’t use any visible stitching so no visual pop like yours.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Visual pop! Today I learnt a new word and it really suits the concept
Regarding the full leather, if I am not mistaken, in my previous 997 the a pillar covers were in leather (boring plain leather and no visual pop - gosh I love this term).
But in my 987 they seem to be basic plastic, and I have the full leather.
Good to know that my rollhops covers are already in leather. I hadn't noticed them.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, I had the stock vinyl.
These guys did a good job matching the dunkelgrau Alcantara and silver thread to the seats: http://ceddesigns.com/
Since it is applied custom over the thin vinyl the cost wasn’t too bad and you of course can pick the material and stitching to match other parts to really pop.

Quick Reply: My 987 (Berg)Spyder