Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My 987 (Berg)Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great garage setup, what’s going on the shelves?
Old 09-29-2019, 03:33 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, I had them mounted at least 10 years ago in both garages. In the other garage they got filled up pretty fast, see below (battery charger, parts of exhausts, garage tools, portable tyre inflater etc).
In this one they are still empty, but I fear that sooner than later I'll start adding storing things. For now there are only a few bottles of wine.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 PM
Davidbf1.com
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ale_72
But almost immediately the white car with the black side stripe with the Porsche sign remembered me something… A light Porsche (B8) where weight optimization was a must, the 909 Bergspyder. So I thought… Why not!

love your homage to the original Berg Spyder, your 987 Spyder looks fantastic- I’d say the [stripe] treatment of the rear spoiler, whilst executed out of necessity, looks stunning - the PERFECT balance of visual impact but subtlety.

I recently led a group of 6 petrolheads (in four Porsche’s - my 981 GTS, a Speed Yellow 997 C4S with factory aero kit, a beautiful 986S and a stunning 996 C4S - down from the north east UK into France and on to Germany where we visited the museum and factory tour. As we’d also arranged the guided museum too, our tour guide got us into the museum workshop - not only did they have the one-off “dune buggy “ concept in there a birthday gift to F Porsche himself (forgive me I cannot recall if it was Ferdinand or Ferry! ), but, there in the workshop was that very Berg Spyder, all 384kgs of it! Our modern-day cars’ climate, audio and leather interiors probably weigh more that that entire car!! Sadly no photos in the workshop, but we got to sit in the Carrera GT further up in the museum, and fondle the €35,000 worth of steering wheel from the 919 tribute car at the top.
ive been to the museum and done the factory tour in 2015 and again in 2017, but none of my friends had and they were blown-away with it all. We got to park our 4 cars on the “apron” in front of the museum for the whole day too - prior to arriving, during all the months of planning, I thought that would be pretty cool. - what I hadn’t appreciated, was just how much attention our 4 Porsches would receive during the day, from visitors to the factory & museum from all over the world! Now THAT was pretty cool!

love the 987 Spyder. Can’t imagine replacing my 981 GTS withi anything, but if I had to it would like be a step back in age - 987 Spyder - and not newer 718 Spyder very much out of budget for cost-to-change.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Davidbf1.com:
Ale_72 (10-01-2019), Masergss (10-06-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Finally with all posters in place.
Looking good! Noticeable improvement from the “before” pics.

The cover has left no lint on the soft top, yuhu!
Good for you! Wondering if the fabric on the 987 and 981 roofs is identical because my roof attracts lint like nobody’s business
The following users liked this post:
Ale_72 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 987 (Berg) Spyder

Not too many updates, recently.
Took the car for the small service + PDK service.
While I was there I bought the interior car cover.

On the left walls some of the LeMans posters I found on internet and that I had them printed on some forex panels.
I found the JPG files here:
https://jalopnik.com/classic-porsche...com-1586074658

Quality is good enough for 40cmx30cm (my choice)
Where did you get the car cover? Is that the Porsche cover for the standard Boxster?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:09 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Yes, I thought at aftermarket options but at the end I decided to buy the original one.
The code is: 987 044 000 14
Old 10-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Masergss (10-06-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Ale_72
Pro

The only car wash that my car will likely see until spring... rain

masti99 (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Soooo...
It has been a while. But finally I have some news. I discovered that one of the side effect of my Morgan interiors is that I now hate plastic parts in the car.
So I invested some energy (= money) to fins somebody who could fulfil my request. And I am really, really superhappy.
It's not advertisement but only an happy customer (not sure if I can post here the name of they German guy who did this, worst scenario drop me a PM) but look at these
Is it cheap? No. Is it much much cheaper than what you find on well known websites? Definitely yes. Is it worth it? Each singe Euro.

Parts done:
1. steering cowl
2. mirror triangles
3. center armrest
4. Sun visors (?)
5. (awful) Plastic part under the handbrake
6. Door straps surrounds

Mikey_O (03-18-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 03:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent upgrade and nice work by the installer! Did the installer use new pieces or did they cover the existing trim? I bet the added pieces have intensified the leather smell in the car. I have debated buying a few parts through the dealer as well but thus far is hasn’t bothered me enough to pull the trigger. I likely will go for some it at some point.

You now understand why I had to wait for an allocation for my Spyder, very few Spyders available back in 2011 were optioned with full leather and personally I find the standard surfaces are not acceptable for a $60k car. It was worth every penny IMHO.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:15 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Excellent upgrade and nice work by the installer! Did the installer use new pieces or did they cover the existing trim? I bet the added pieces have intensified the leather smell in the car.
I sent him my parts, and he covered them. To me going via the dealer to get these porscxhe exclusive parts (only deviations are the stitching on the cowl - I was not linking the original one - and the plastic under the brake - not foreseen) it was simply crazy expensive. Now few things still to be done, but after the summer.
And yes, I am addicted to leather smell.

You now understand why I had to wait for an allocation for my Spyder, very few Spyders available back in 2011 were optioned with full leather and personally I find the standard surfaces are not acceptable for a $60k car. It was worth every penny IMHO.
I went for the "full leather" as well but even with the full leather all these parts are in plastic. And Porsche plastic is probably super strong, but really looks super cheap. At least at my eyes.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I sent him my parts, and he covered them. To me going via the dealer to get these porscxhe exclusive parts (only deviations are the stitching on the cowl - I was not linking the original one - and the plastic under the brake - not foreseen) it was simply crazy expensive. Now few things still to be done, but after the summer.
And yes, I am addicted to leather smell.

I went for the "full leather" as well but even with the full leather all these parts are in plastic. And Porsche plastic is probably super strong, but really looks super cheap. At least at my eyes.
The leather smell is an added bonus and I’m also addicted to it. I agree that some of the Porsche plastic parts do look cheap and leave a lot to be desired when you consider the overall car cost but fortunately most are fixable relatively easily, although at a considerable price.

I see you recovered the center bin armrest, I was under the impression that the full leather package included this in leather although without the stitching. Did you confirm that this is actually vinyl before recovering it?
Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Ale_72
Pro

I see you recovered the center bin armrest, I was under the impression that the full leather package included this in leather although without the stitching. Did you confirm that this is actually vinyl before recovering it?
It's in leather, like the rollhops. But it's the lower quality leather than the one you have -for instance- on the dash.
And, without the stitching, it looks to me unfinished.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Ale_72
Pro

The following 2 users liked this post by Ale_72:
adam_987.2 (05-25-2020), Marine Blue (05-24-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car looks great, as usual. How come your wheels always look so clean? Did you change pads or have the wheels coated? I drive my Spyder around the block and have brake dust all over those silver wheels. Thanks.

Quick Reply: My 987 (Berg)Spyder