Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Questions on new build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 AM
KyleK
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on new build

I just got a 98 Boxster that will be turning into a spec car soon. I think I have the majority of the build planned out but I'm stuck on finding some parts. I see most are running the square 8.5 setup. I see in the rules the wheels are specific to boxster, but are there any other wheels but the normal twist design that people are using? It seems finding 8-12 rear wheels is pretty hard to do. My other issue is finding a hardtop. I've seen some past ones go for around a grand but I'm watching ebay and Craigslist daily and haven't had any luck. I'd rather stick with the factory hardtop. Obviously I have a little time since I'm just starting the build. I'm just trying to get an idea on how everyone is doing things. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:26 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Good luck with the build! Where in the country are you?

Getting the 8.5 wheels is exactly as you describe, a challenge. Just keep your eyes out on Craigslist and eBay I found was the easiest. Buy them one at a time and before you know it you have a set. Wheels have to be OEM from a Boxster so we are all stuck in the same boat.

Same on the tops. Bad time of year to look for one, as it's going to get colder soon and people will start using them.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 AM
KyleK
Track Day

Thanks! I'm in Houston. I kinda figured it will be slow getting all the wheels and the hardtop. Are the twist wheels the only ones to use?
Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

There are at least 5 wheel types that I know of. 3 twist or five spoke design, one twin/five spoke and then a multi (8+) spoke design. Some are heavier than others and that's the real key.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Captain Slow
Advanced

These are the wheels I've been scouring the internet for..

Name:  Boxster Wheels - SPB Part numbers.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  175.5 KB
Old 09-20-2015, 11:46 AM
KyleK
Track Day

Thanks guys
Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 263 Posts

Kyle - PM'd you. A friend in Toronto has an OEM hardtop, already stripped, that he would like to sell. Have forwarded you his address.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 PM
KyleK
Track Day

So the build is coming along. The car is almost down to a bare tub. I have a few things I'd like to see what everyone else is doing. I'd hate to do something I have to re-do or something I'd fail tech for. Is everyone removing the sec air injection and covering the ports? I'm guessing most remove the cel bulb since it will throw an O2 code for deleting cats. On the heater core bypass...how are you all doing this. I've seen another that just put a piece of hose connecting the hard lines. On the center radiator. I was reading up on it and saw that the hose size will not be correct. Can I swap the coolant pipes from a tiptronic car or an S to make it correct? Last one for now. For the spoiler. Is it best to just raise it and disconnect the plug, or what about a fixed mount. I saw one for sale that eliminated the drive completely and just had 2 solid mounts. I know I'm asking a ton of questions. Thanks for all of the help!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I removed the sec air injection. I fabricated the port block-off plates from the original parts, a hacksaw, and a little JB Weld.

I kept the cel bulb as I check for other codes frequently and then clear what I find.

I've seen some cars with nice (factory?) block-off plates for the heater core. I don't know where they came from though. I connected the hoses and included a restrictor fabricated from some 1/2" copper plumbing fittings. I restricted the inside diameter down to about 3/8".

I don't run a center radiator, but do run a low temp thermostat.

I removed the drive motor and cables for the spoiler and then, with the spoiler in the up position, I drilled one hole each in the factory mounts. I have metal spring clips that go in the holes when on the track.

Michael
Old 09-23-2015, 09:41 AM
KyleK
Track Day

Good info...thanks michael!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the parts you need to block the SAI. I'll give you a good deal, please PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

You can buy factory pieces for the block off plates for the SAI. I dont know the part number, they were handed to me by my shop and I installed them. Not sure on the heater core, just don't remember. I run a center rad and a low temp stat. Boxster S hoses. Some run the center rad, low temp

There used to be a company making solid mounts for the wing, thats what I use. JPC Fabrication in Stroudesburg, PA might be able to help you out.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Dave DE
Racer

My car has a short section of hose to connect the heater hard lines up front where the core used to be. I looked into removing the hard lines, but my calculated weight savings was not much (a couple pounds, I think) and they do add a tiny bit more cooling.

For the center rad, I had the front hard line sections modified to a larger diameter so I could use factory hoses for the radiators. Very clean solution. Unfortunately, the shop that did the mod (precision chassis works) doesn't advertise the service any more.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:25 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Houston too, I've built a few of these and have the sec. Inj. Block ports, I can sell some to you if needed as I have extras.

Heater core and 02 sensors issues are easy to resolve, I never pull the cell light bulb as I like to know what's going on in other systems, and I have no cell codes for 02 sensor.

I've used both FG and factory metal tops and have sources for the FG tops if interested in that, I currently don't have any spare factory tops or wheels, although I do get them from time to time.

PM me if I can help any.
Viking
Old 10-02-2015, 01:46 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm building a car in Houston as well.
I just picked up a '97 on Wednesday. Looking forward to getting back into SPB. I missed you guys.
What part of town are you in?

Quick Reply: Questions on new build