Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Calling all SpecBoxers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjj0000
Can anyone report transmission lubricant temperatures with and/or without an auxiliary cooler?
The trans temps can reach up over 275°C in a 25 minute session. I installed a trans cooler, shown below, that runs on a thermo switch. It turns on at 205° and keeps it under 215°. Using a Setrab 110 model cooler behind the RR fender liner slats. Happy with the results.

I have a couple 5 speed transmissions for sale, some just rebuilt with zero hours, one of those with one weekend, with the ports for cooler already welded on if anyone is interested.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:54 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
Ok, how about another topic to discuss:

The SP996 guys in Texas have been talking amongst ourselves about allowing a specific floating rotor assembly. Our philosophy is generally to not allow changes to the spec that are aimed at performance enhancement, but we are thinking that over a couple of years (or maybe just one year) the floating rotors will give lower running costs due to decreases in rotor cracking, and also lower replacement costs (once you get over the one-time upgrade cost).

Probably not as applicable to SPB, but I suppose it could be.

Comments?
I've been using slotted discs and don't see much issue with cracking, even with the Pagid Black pads. I'd recommend solid or slotted over the drilled for that reason. But the floating set-up is not likely to fly in the rules IMO.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523
I've been using slotted discs and don't see much issue with cracking, even with the Pagid Black pads. I'd recommend solid or slotted over the drilled for that reason. But the floating set-up is not likely to fly in the rules IMO.
Floating setup won't fly in the rules as they are right now. I'm looking for input for possible rules change in the future.

I've tried slotted rotors (DBA) in my SP996 and they cracked just as quickly as the perforated ones. I would expect the SP996's to be much harder on brakes than SPB given the greater weight and greater speeds, so the two classes would not necessarily have the same results or need the same rules.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Floating setup won't fly in the rules as they are right now. I'm looking for input for possible rules change in the future.

I've tried slotted rotors (DBA) in my SP996 and they cracked just as quickly as the perforated ones. I would expect the SP996's to be much harder on brakes than SPB given the greater weight and greater speeds, so the two classes would not necessarily have the same results or need the same rules.
Mike I've stayed with cross-drilled Zimmermans and they last a year running in 2 separate series. Agreed I'm lighter than your car by 200lbs. and that certainly makes a difference, but for the cost they're hard to beat. On RS29's...
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
eric523
Pro

Yeah, I meant fly through the rule change process.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Eric, you're having longevity issues even with the trans cooler? I guess it's no silver bullet then... Arg..

What is the weakness of the box?

I've run cross drilled zimmermans on my rsa (2750lbs) for years w/orange &yellow pagids with very little cracking as well. Did have some pad Transfer. I know some guys have real issues but not sure they aren't knockoffs brands...
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by J richard
Eric, you're having longevity issues even with the trans cooler? I guess it's no silver bullet then... Arg..

What is the weakness of the box?
Cooler was added only at the end of the season unfortunately. I killed 3rd gear once on a 2-3 upshift, displaced a 3rd gear synchro spring once on a 2-3 upshift, broke a plastic detent once, and broke an aluminum pivot pin once.

We could build a stronger 3rd gear but it would be 0.01 off the ratio and figured I'd get in trouble so we just replaced it with new.

The displaced synchro ring we think is overengagement and we installed a stop on the sifter rod/console itself to limit the engagement into third gear.

We machined a couple of aluminum detent pieces that are identical to the plastic is shape/size etc.

I did find some steel pivot pins that I have been unable to break.

So some improvements were made, but it was still a delicate box when pushed really hard and abused, which I'm good at

Lots of people run these boxes without issue, but the podium guys were bringing spares with them in the trailer.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:11 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Eric, clean looking install of the trans cooler. I'll post up pictures of mine once its done. My goal is have it be part of the trans, in other words, when you drop the trans, not have to disconnect any lines. We'll see if it works!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Colin,

I definitely want to see how that turns out. Cool idea.

Originally Posted by 38D
Eric, clean looking install of the trans cooler. I'll post up pictures of mine once its done. My goal is have it be part of the trans, in other words, when you drop the trans, not have to disconnect any lines. We'll see if it works!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know we did one for Tim's Spec Boxster, maybe he can post up some pictures also.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Eric is using Jiffy tite quick disconnects which work great, I've used them in many applications.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
eric523
Pro

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Looks like Eric is using Jiffy tite quick disconnects which work great, I've used them in many applications.
Exactly. The quick disconnects are dry break so there isn't a huge mess, and I have other lines on the spare trans so it's a fairly simple switch.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
I definitely want to see how that turns out. Cool idea.
One I get all the trans cooler parts, I plan to do a complete write up of the install. Assuming my idea works, it should turn ok pretty well. The main decision I had in the design was where to locate the cooler. From what I know, it does not require much air flow over the cooler to get the temps down quite a bit. In the mid 90s, I took the Jerry Woods engine and trans rebuilding class, and he discussed how you really just needed to get the fluid out of the case. In fact, he typically used an old style trombone cooler, and said it was plenty effective. Anyway, we'll see how my idea works out .
Old 12-13-2011, 05:53 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with the Texas SPB posse. A few of us have added trans coolers, so far so good.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Sebring registration is OPEN!!!!!

Only 5 SPB's so far.

Quick Reply: Calling all SpecBoxers...