Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Anyone use the 996 oil pressure port?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone use the 996 oil pressure port?

I've got a new dash that I'm putting in. I've done some research, and it seems that on top of the motor in the 986, there is the oil level gauge for the idiot light. On the other cylinder head the is a plug that the 996 uses for their oil pressure and temp (looks like a T I believe). Anyone undo that plug and plumb oil pressure from there? Aim sells a pre-wired 10mm sensor thats plug and play to the dash that I was hoping to use there, as I am not an electronics/soldering wizard or terribly good at fabrication.

I think I may have answered my own question. McMaster sells these:

Anyone know the size of the hole the 996 plug covers?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:11 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

I just realized the male portion is solid (D'oh) so it would need to be drilled. But it's aluminum so should be pretty easy.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Yes, this is a common source for oil pressure or temp gauges. To be accurate, on the boxster, the passenger side has the low oil pressure switch installed in that port. The driver's side has a blanking plug that can easily be removed. I put a VDO pressure sender (with warning light switch) on the passenger side, with oil temp on the drivers side.

Thread size is M14 x 1.5
The following 3 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
martt1ski (01-07-2021), Nickshu (01-06-2021), steved0x (01-27-2022)
Old 01-06-2021, 12:43 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

I don't really need the oil level sensor as I can derive this from pressure. Looking at the product:
It seems like I would need to remove the Porsche sensor and do the adaptation at the 10 MM AIM size at the top. This would be either by unscrewing (if it unscrews) or cutting it off the top. Unless I would be so luck as to the top of the sensor already be a 10MM :-) But that would be too lucky and easy.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I'm confused. You want to get oil pressure from the oil LEVEL port?

The oil level sensor goes into the open space of the oil pan so you may get temperature, but you won't get pressure from there.

If you want pressure, you want it in an oil galley, such as the head ports I mentioned above.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:30 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you want pressure, you want it in an oil galley, such as the head ports I mentioned above.
That's what I did. Not a terrible job if I recall, just have to find the right sized adapter to the fit the port and whatever sensor you're using
Old 01-06-2021, 02:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
That's what I did. Not a terrible job if I recall, just have to find the right sized adapter to the fit the port and whatever sensor you're using
+1
Old 01-07-2021, 03:35 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

QuadCammer - you are correct. I had it backwards.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:02 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yes, this is a common source for oil pressure or temp gauges. To be accurate, on the boxster, the passenger side has the low oil pressure switch installed in that port. The driver's side has a blanking plug that can easily be removed. I put a VDO pressure sender (with warning light switch) on the passenger side, with oil temp on the drivers side.

Thread size is M14 x 1.5
What sensor/setup did you use for oil temperature in the driver's side? Does it reach down into the oil pan from that port on the driver's side?
Old 01-15-2021, 03:44 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

We ended up taking a 944 oil pan bolt (without magnet) as it's the M14 with the right thread pitch. A slight cut to length and then drilled with a press. Tapped for the 1/8th ntp sensor - the hole we drilled was the correct width for the 1/8th tap, so a few twirls and we were good. No leaks first try :-)
Old 01-15-2021, 04:01 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
We ended up taking a 944 oil pan bolt (without magnet) as it's the M14 with the right thread pitch. A slight cut to length and then drilled with a press. Tapped for the 1/8th ntp sensor - the hole we drilled was the correct width for the 1/8th tap, so a few twirls and we were good. No leaks first try :-)
Gotcha, makes sense. You created your own adapter for the sensor to house in.

- Did you seal with an O-ring or washer of some form?
- I've heard that getting a temp reading near the cylinder head like this isn't always ideal, since it could be reading higher than the average temperature. What're your thoughts/experience with this setup? Is it working nicely?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

To seal the bolt, we just in an aluminum crush washer like it was an oil pan and then another one on the sensor to make double sure. The factory oil level sensor (for the idiot light) just has the transceiver at the head from the factory, but has a a probe that goes down into the oil pan (see pic). to get temperataure I was thinking about modifying the probe so I could attach an Aim sensor at the head of it. However, I think next time time I do an oil change, I'll pull the 2 liter oil pan extension and just drill it and tab it directly so that the oil return points at it. The aluminum is thick enough.

Factory oil level sensor below for reference

Old 01-15-2021, 04:45 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
To seal the bolt, we just in an aluminum crush washer like it was an oil pan and then another one on the sensor to make double sure. The factory oil level sensor (for the idiot light) just has the transceiver at the head from the factory, but has a a probe that goes down into the oil pan (see pic). to get temperataure I was thinking about modifying the probe so I could attach an Aim sensor at the head of it. However, I think next time time I do an oil change, I'll pull the 2 liter oil pan extension and just drill it and tab it directly so that the oil return points at it. The aluminum is thick enough.

Factory oil level sensor below for reference

Gotcha. I was just chatting with my friend about this exactly. I have the LN 2 liter sump extension. I'm thinking of just drilling into the side of it and tapping it for an Aim sensor. And then do pressure how you did it in that port.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:44 PM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 168 Likes on 123 Posts

Back on the original topic, The typical is to add a gauge for oil pressure rather than doing the 996 dash conversion ? I assume because a gauge provides better and quicker response than the integrated oil pressure gauge would ?

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Old 01-30-2021, 08:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ed@Demonspeed
Back on the original topic, The typical is to add a gauge for oil pressure rather than doing the 996 dash conversion ? I assume because a gauge provides better and quicker response than the integrated oil pressure gauge would ?

Thanks

Ed
That and you can place it where its more useful.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the 996 oil pressure port?