Getting into a Spec Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 09:48 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts
Default Getting into a Spec Boxster

Hey all,

I have been an HPDE driver for several years with PCA and NASA and I am looking to go racing. I have looked at various options (996/997 Cup car, GTB1 Cayman, E36/46 BMW, Spec Miata, Spec Boxster). After researching some and mostly talking to a bunch of different people I have decided that Spec Boxster is the way to go for me. I live in Colorado so Spec Boxster will mean I have lots of options with NASA, PCA, and SCCA within a 12 hour drive circumference from where I live with what appears to be an active group of racers. That would not be the case for an early Cup car or a Cayman. BMW and Miata are active in our area but I am really partial to Porsches having owned a few over the years so I really prefer to stay in the Porsche realm.

So my next step is to find a car. I am a capable home mechanic, I have built a couple of DE cars (took a couple of them way too far LOL), restored a couple of vintage cars, etc over the years....that said my preference is to find a nice already built Spec Boxster. While I could definitely build one myself I would prefer to buy a nice one already setup as I am currently kind of mechanic'd-out after a couple of recent projects. Would prefer to pay more $$ for a really nicely built SPB that can carry me forward into racing.

Any help in finding the right car would be appreciated. I already have a truck, enclosed race trailer, and storage so can travel for the right car.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any guidance and advice you can give me as I make my way into this journey. Previous cars I have owned and tracked are a 1982 911SC, 2005 Lotus Elise, 2003 911 Carrera, 2004 911 GT3 (still own that one). I also have a 2020 GT4 but have not tracked it yet plan to next year after it's broken in (but I'm sure it won't teach me nearly as much as an analog car like the 6-GT3 or an SPB will).

Cheers!
Nick.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-13-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:22 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. Absolutely buy something thats already built and then update/fix to your preference. There are usually cars for sale throughout the year/season. There are some "builders" who will set you up in Texas and Southern California. Vali comes to mind. There are some great builders back east too.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:42 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by katmeho
Welcome. Absolutely buy something thats already built and then update/fix to your preference. There are usually cars for sale throughout the year/season. There are some "builders" who will set you up in Texas and Southern California. Vali comes to mind. There are some great builders back east too.
Thanks. Vali looks promising I will give them a call. Anyone else you recommend I get in touch with? Who is in Texas?
Old 12-14-2020, 11:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

"Who is in Texas"

29 million people. Give or take

Last edited by Streak; 12-14-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:14 AM
boltonbob
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Boxster for sale

please see my post of my spec Boxster for sale
Old 12-15-2020, 11:44 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boltonbob
please see my post of my spec Boxster for sale
Thanks I will take a look.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I also sent you a PM if the car is still available...

Thanks,

DG
Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a Vali car that has tons of track records and podiums. NorCal car
Old 12-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I have a Vali car that has tons of track records and podiums. NorCal car
Thanks, sent you a PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:19 PM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Hey all,

I have been an HPDE driver for several years with PCA and NASA and I am looking to go racing. I have looked at various options (996/997 Cup car, GTB1 Cayman, E36/46 BMW, Spec Miata, Spec Boxster). After researching some and mostly talking to a bunch of different people I have decided that Spec Boxster is the way to go for me. I live in Colorado so Spec Boxster will mean I have lots of options with NASA, PCA, and SCCA within a 12 hour drive circumference from where I live with what appears to be an active group of racers. That would not be the case for an early Cup car or a Cayman. BMW and Miata are active in our area but I am really partial to Porsches having owned a few over the years so I really prefer to stay in the Porsche realm.

So my next step is to find a car. I am a capable home mechanic, I have built a couple of DE cars (took a couple of them way too far LOL), restored a couple of vintage cars, etc over the years....that said my preference is to find a nice already built Spec Boxster. While I could definitely build one myself I would prefer to buy a nice one already setup as I am currently kind of mechanic'd-out after a couple of recent projects. Would prefer to pay more $$ for a really nicely built SPB that can carry me forward into racing.

Any help in finding the right car would be appreciated. I already have a truck, enclosed race trailer, and storage so can travel for the right car.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any guidance and advice you can give me as I make my way into this journey. Previous cars I have owned and tracked are a 1982 911SC, 2005 Lotus Elise, 2003 911 Carrera, 2004 911 GT3 (still own that one). I also have a 2020 GT4 but have not tracked it yet plan to next year after it's broken in (but I'm sure it won't teach me nearly as much as an analog car like the 6-GT3 or an SPB will).

Cheers!
Nick.
Here's my 2-cents. You will not find better competition as a club racer than racing Spec Miatas in SCCA. Spec Racer Ford is another very competitive class. The Spec Boxter fields are pretty small. Also, if you have a maintenance problem with a Spec Miata on a race weekend, the chances are that someone in the paddock will have the spare part you need, including engines, gearboxes, brakes, wheel hubs, etc. That reduces the chance of a DNS. A Boxter is no more fun to race than a Miata either.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
The Spec Boxter fields are pretty small. .
What do you consider small, what are you sample points? Hell, there are already 25 signed up for Sebring. Are you looking at the small races, like NOLA and Mid-O? I think NJMP had well over 30 last year. SPB is one of the largest classes in PCA club racing.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:01 AM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
What do you consider small, what are you sample points? Hell, there are already 25 signed up for Sebring. Are you looking at the small races, like NOLA and Mid-O? I think NJMP had well over 30 last year. SPB is one of the largest classes in PCA club racing.
My sample points are typical SCCA sprint race weekends. At the SCCA regional level, there are typically 20-25 drivers competing in the Spec Miata class, so the level of competition is intense for drivers of all skill levels. The number of Spec Miata entrants tends to increase for divisional and Majors weekends. In contrast, 1-3 Boxters may show up for a typical regional SCAA sprint race weekend. An endurance race at a classic southern track like Sebring during the off season will tend to draw more drivers from further away because their local tracks are closed for the season. .
Old 12-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am not really interested in Spec Miata. I am talking with a couple of sellers who have nice cars. Also talking with TuneRS in Florida about doing a build for me.
The following users liked this post:
tgsmith4845 (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 12:10 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i ran SM for a long time. I moved away from it. While a great class, i didnt enjoy it as much as PCA and SPB. .

My sample points are typical SCCA sprint race weekends. At the SCCA regional level, there are typically 20-25 drivers competing in the Spec Miata class, so the level of competition is intense for drivers of all skill levels. The number of Spec Miata entrants tends to increase for divisional and Majors weekends. In contrast, 1-3 Boxters may show up for a typical regional SCAA sprint race weekend. An endurance race at a classic southern track like Sebring during the off season will tend to draw more drivers from further away because their local tracks are closed for the season. .

Last edited by spg993tt; 12-17-2020 at 06:16 PM.
txhokie4life (12-28-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 05:02 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Here's my 2-cents. You will not find better competition as a club racer than racing Spec Miatas in SCCA. Spec Racer Ford is another very competitive class. The Spec Boxter fields are pretty small. Also, if you have a maintenance problem with a Spec Miata on a race weekend, the chances are that someone in the paddock will have the spare part you need, including engines, gearboxes, brakes, wheel hubs, etc. That reduces the chance of a DNS. A Boxter is no more fun to race than a Miata either.
Boxster
txhokie4life (12-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Getting into a Spec Boxster