Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Getting into a Spec Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 10:23 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by mark boschert
talk to Chris Cervelli in Denver too, he has built lots of SPB and races them in endurance racing.
He built the car I bought, pictured above. Chris is the master.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:09 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yes, track support is very important for sure. I guess they don’t need to be in North Jersey, but that would be convenient. I know about precision and bodymotion.

I also know of a couple shops in LI that do track support as well. I’ve spoken to a couple of them and they seem good.

How long does it take to get the racing license from the time you send in the application?

I know this is probably stoopid, but I wanna make sure I have the license in my pocket before I buy the car. There are a few cars here on RL that look good, but I want the license first.
All I recieved was a verbal /E-mail last year saying I had my "Provisional" but no actual card.. the number is the same as your PCA ID.. I ran Mid Ohio and then recieved confirmation of full license afterwards. I Ran at Summit Point no issues.. 3 weeks before the end of the year I recieved the actual card in the mail for my 2020 PCA competition License... LOL... I Just Renewed it for 2021 and recieved confirmation Via E-mail from Susan.
As Long as you have the Cheifs A-OK, (RD) and can pass the physical, youre in... No Worries ... Buy the car you want. Maybe Ill have to come up to the LR race then...
I will also add that from running with you so much at WGI in BB... and being on track with the spec boxters, a really well setup SPB will be just a Tick faster that BB ... You will be smiling ear to ear ....
Old 01-05-2021, 02:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
All I recieved was a verbal /E-mail last year saying I had my "Provisional" but no actual card.. the number is the same as your PCA ID.. I ran Mid Ohio and then recieved confirmation of full license afterwards. I Ran at Summit Point no issues.. 3 weeks before the end of the year I recieved the actual card in the mail for my 2020 PCA competition License... LOL... I Just Renewed it for 2021 and recieved confirmation Via E-mail from Susan.
As Long as you have the Cheifs A-OK, (RD) and can pass the physical, youre in... No Worries ... Buy the car you want. Maybe Ill have to come up to the LR race then...
I will also add that from running with you so much at WGI in BB... and being on track with the spec boxters, a really well setup SPB will be just a Tick faster that BB ... You will be smiling ear to ear ....
Waffling back and forth between SPB and GTB-1 Cayman.

Wife is not crazy about the racing thing, and between that and the IDP programs I'm in this season, I'm never gonna be home as it is....
Old 01-05-2021, 03:26 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Waffling back and forth between SPB and GTB-1 Cayman.

Wife is not crazy about the racing thing, and between that and the IDP programs I'm in this season, I'm never gonna be home as it is....
SPB guys usually seem to have the most fun. How about SPC? GTB1 doesn’t always make for a fun class to start racing. You could also run a 981 Cayman in Stock I or Prepared J. That would be the closest to your experience base.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:29 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
SPB guys usually seem to have the most fun. How about SPC? GTB1 doesn’t always make for a fun class to start racing. You could also run a 981 Cayman in Stock I or Prepared J. That would be the closest to your experience base.
I just got a new 981S (new to me) to convert over to track use (DE stuff).

I can race that car once modified? Is that SPC?
Old 01-05-2021, 04:10 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 105 Posts

I just got a new 981S (new to me) to convert over to track use (DE stuff).

I can race that car once modified? Is that SPC?
A 981 CS would fall into either GTB1 or GTB3, not sure which exactly. There would also be letter class you could run in - the PCA rule book would lay out where exactly it would fall in the 'stock' class hierarchy. SPC is for 987.1 Cayman S model, 2006-08.

My $.02 here (and you know I'm biased...) - try SPB for your first year of racing. The cars are cheap and easy to find, there's plenty of shops who know them well, and the competition is stiff. Skip all the development and setup work required in the open classes (and associated costs) for your first year. After you build up some experience, you may decide to stick with SPB, or you may decide to move on up...if it's the latter, your SPB will be easy to sell.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PGas32
A 981 CS would fall into either GTB1 or GTB3, not sure which exactly. There would also be letter class you could run in - the PCA rule book would lay out where exactly it would fall in the 'stock' class hierarchy. SPC is for 987.1 Cayman S model, 2006-08.

My $.02 here (and you know I'm biased...) - try SPB for your first year of racing. The cars are cheap and easy to find, there's plenty of shops who know them well, and the competition is stiff. Skip all the development and setup work required in the open classes (and associated costs) for your first year. After you build up some experience, you may decide to stick with SPB, or you may decide to move on up...if it's the latter, your SPB will be easy to sell.
Agreed but still waffling. Thanks P.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:40 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

981 CS 14-15 lands you in "I" class.. The Non S 981C 14-15 with the 2.7 lands you in G with me... Maybe Rent a boxster and see how you like it..

Just Substitute some race days instead of DE's... Racing is like DE x3 anyway... I have Video of me and a fellow competitor in a 911RSA going wheel to wheel at summit for about 10 to 14 laps before I finally made the pass... It was just Amazingly fun......So much so, that now I finally understand why there are racers out there that race every weekend, but live in a trailer...
Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Ok so I finally got the car together and took it out for the first time to a DE this weekend at Pueblo motorsports park here in Colorado. Ran both days, 7 sessions. The car ran great only one small issue is a noise when it's really hot which I think is the transmission cooler pump dying a slow death.

It was soooo fun. I am improving but feel like I have a ways to go. Working on increasing my time at full throttle, need to be getting on it earlier and harder after braking I feel like.

Here's some video. The video telemetry data does not show, I know...the previous owner did not have the Motec camera wired correctly, it's on my to do list (along with many other little things)

I am taking the car to High Plains Raceway next weekend for another DE. Then I need to figure out getting a PCA racing license. If the stars align my first race will be at HPR in September. If.

Last edited by Nickshu; 06-07-2021 at 08:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
martt1ski (06-08-2021), moburki (06-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Getting into a Spec Boxster