Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Getting into a Spec Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 05:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Pretty sure I’m going the SPB route. I was thinking GTB-1 but SPB seems like a better entry point into racing, at least to start.

Sent my Club Racing license application in yesterday, complete as far as I can tell.
Gonna get the license hopefully.

Then I’m gonna buy a SPB, not build one. Too many people have told me to buy one already built and go from there.
Hoping to do the LRP race in April as my rookie outing.

What’s a good SPB shop in or near North Jersey? Any recommendations?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (12-18-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 06:23 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Pretty sure I’m going the SPB route. I was thinking GTB-1 but SPB seems like a better entry point into racing, at least to start.

Sent my Club Racing license application in yesterday, complete as far as I can tell.
Gonna get the license hopefully.

Then I’m gonna buy a SPB, not build one. Too many people have told me to buy one already built and go from there.
Hoping to do the LRP race in April as my rookie outing.

What’s a good SPB shop in or near North Jersey? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Great choice. You're going to want a shop that not only knows the cars, but goes to the races, so if something happens, you're not SOL. For NJ, that means Precision or Provost. Provost has built a bunch of Spec Boxsters, but they're down in Bordentown. Precision was building a boxster to rent, they're in Califon area. They also support a bunch of SP3 cars, which is also a good series, although not quite as big as the boxsters anymore. There's also Bodymotion, but they run more GTB type cars.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:10 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
Great choice. You're going to want a shop that not only knows the cars, but goes to the races, so if something happens, you're not SOL. For NJ, that means Precision or Provost. Provost has built a bunch of Spec Boxsters, but they're down in Bordentown. Precision was building a boxster to rent, they're in Califon area. They also support a bunch of SP3 cars, which is also a good series, although not quite as big as the boxsters anymore. There's also Bodymotion, but they run more GTB type cars.
Yes, track support is very important for sure. I guess they don’t need to be in North Jersey, but that would be convenient. I know about precision and bodymotion.

I also know of a couple shops in LI that do track support as well. I’ve spoken to a couple of them and they seem good.

How long does it take to get the racing license from the time you send in the application?

I know this is probably stoopid, but I wanna make sure I have the license in my pocket before I buy the car. There are a few cars here on RL that look good, but I want the license first.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:36 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 46 Posts

You don't actually get your license in the mail. You apply, then, assuming the medical etc pan out, you will get a call from Susan, who will ask you some questions and review some basics with you. At the first race, you will have to go to an orientation meeting Thursday night. You then have to complete all the practices and the practice starts, and you will get a provisional license. You then have to complete a few races without incident before you receive your official license. You will need a rule compliant race car to do this, so either dive in or consider renting a car.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:58 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 105 Posts

For NJ, that means Precision or Provost. Provost has built a bunch of Spec Boxsters, but they're down in Bordentown.
Definitely Provost for SPB in NJ...they’re almost exclusively SPB, which counts for a ton when it comes to platform-specific knowledge like setup and what spares to have.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:51 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

2nd for Provost.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:07 PM
KevinA
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I also second (or third, fourth) the vote for Provost. They really know SPBs, and are great guys. They also provide support at multiple tracks (already signed up for Sebring with them).

I got my (rookie) license last year. Process was pretty easy. Send in the complete license with the medical exam form, talk to Susan (tell her you won't drive like an idiot), and get to your first weekend and have a blast. Just don't drive like an idiot.

Why you want to wait to get a car until you get the license? Get the car, get used to it, and then start racing.

You will have fun in SPB.
The following users liked this post:
Frank Abe (12-18-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 10:40 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, track support is very important for sure. I guess they don’t need to be in North Jersey, but that would be convenient. I know about precision and bodymotion.

I also know of a couple shops in LI that do track support as well. I’ve spoken to a couple of them and they seem good.

How long does it take to get the racing license from the time you send in the application?

I know this is probably stoopid, but I wanna make sure I have the license in my pocket before I buy the car. There are a few cars here on RL that look good, but I want the license first.
EPS in Watertown CT builds and race supports a number of SPB's that are active in the Northeast. Bela knows Boxsters and has a turn key one available if their site is current.

https://epssport.wixsite.com/epssport
https://www.facebook.com/epswatertow...=page_internal
Old 12-18-2020, 12:23 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

You guys on the coasts are so lucky. Here in the boonies of Colorado trackside support is not common. We're on our own...I guess that's the pioneer spirit of the mountain west LOL.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:35 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, I found and bought a car today. This is a car I actually knew from the track, but was unaware that it was for sale. It is a very high end build that was done locally, very nice cage and tub, Motec, Motorola radio, Chillout system, and lots of extras. I pick it up on Sunday, about 2-1/2 hours from my house each way. Now to figure out how to drive it fast, then figure out the whole racing thing...

Old 12-18-2020, 12:49 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
You guys on the coasts are so lucky. Here in the boonies of Colorado trackside support is not common. We're on our own...I guess that's the pioneer spirit of the mountain west LOL.
I agree. I never used track support and it never stopped my car from going to the front. Proper preparation and maintenance, doing test days and the car never let me down. It’s one of the things I think is great about a SPB in that it’s a simple car to get setup and reliable all weekend when maintained properly.

I would encourage new racer’s to try not using track support and see how far you get on your own.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:50 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey guys, I found and bought a car today. This is a car I actually knew from the track, but was unaware that it was for sale. It is a very high end build that was done locally, very nice cage and tub, Motec, Motorola radio, Chillout system, and lots of extras. I pick it up on Sunday, about 2-1/2 hours from my house each way. Now to figure out how to drive it fast, then figure out the whole racing thing...

Awesome.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:17 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

But you have better dispensaries in Colorado...
You win !!
Old 12-18-2020, 11:41 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I agree. I never used track support and it never stopped my car from going to the front. Proper preparation and maintenance, doing test days and the car never let me down. It’s one of the things I think is great about a SPB in that it’s a simple car to get setup and reliable all weekend when maintained properly.

I would encourage new racer’s to try not using track support and see how far you get on your own.
I wouldn't have it any other way, I enjoy doing the building, prep, maintenance and everything else that comes with racing. I guess I'm fortunate to have a couple of lifts in the garage and all the equipment I need to do the work, as well as a wife who's willing to put up with me and have a bottle of water ready for the 5 min enduro stop.

Last but not least, good looking car you bought, you will enjoy it and racing with the SPB group.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lemming:
Frank Abe (12-18-2020), martt1ski (12-21-2020), Nickshu (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 01:09 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

^^^I love it. I have shopped for tire machines would love to do be able to do that on my own. I have space and power for one in my storage unit.

Quick Reply: Getting into a Spec Boxster