Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Wheel Bearing Lifetimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:43 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Lifetimes

After more than 5 years with no wheel bearing issues, I finally had one fail at my last race. I believe these bearings were the ones that came with the donor car. This lifetime seems highly unusual given that many racers seem to have brand new bearings failing within a year or two. I’ve heard one theory that bearings broken in on the street (in a donor) may last much longer than brand new bearings installed and immediately raced. Has anyone else seen any evidence of this?

Are there any other recommendations for getting more life out of these bearings? I’ve read that some racers might be repacking with high temp grease to get better lifetimes.

These bearings are so much work to replace, it would be nice if we could many years out of them like I did with my original set.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:33 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

5 years?!?! Mine last 15 hours max

Tried different grease to no real difference
Old 05-17-2018, 01:11 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I picked up a pair of carriers from Woodie, will R&R the bearings at my leisure, plan to just have a backup set JIC. Told this is way easier to replace the whole carrier at the track then try to mess with the bearings.

That said, never having bearing issues on any race car -- how do you know when they are going out and new ones needed?

M
Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Usually replace wheel bearings every year or two depending on car, driver, etc. Also carry in spares kit extra bearings and proper to replace on car. Fronts take about 30 Minutes, rears about 45 at the track. Why not replace whole suspension parts? First it takes longer and then how are you going to align it at the track? You may get it close, but close may not be enough if you are competitive.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - 15 hours, one year, five years - that's a big difference. I continue to wonder if the broken-in street bearings is what made the difference for my car. It's possible my bearings were degrading prior to the failure last race weekend, but I periodically check to see if the wheels have any play in them as part of normal track prep. I just had one wheel start making noise and was howling by the end of the weekend.

Viperbob1 - 30/45 minute replacements are really fast. Curious what your process is - are you replacing carriers or doing an actual bearing swap? What special tools do you use?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I have over a year on my replacements, way more than 15 hours. Will likely replace them this summer during my down time (to damn hot to race and drive in AL in August).

Last edited by Lemming; 05-23-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by longhorn911
Wow - 15 hours, one year, five years - that's a big difference. I continue to wonder if the broken-in street bearings is what made the difference for my car. It's possible my bearings were degrading prior to the failure last race weekend, but I periodically check to see if the wheels have any play in them as part of normal track prep. I just had one wheel start making noise and was howling by the end of the weekend.

Viperbob1 - 30/45 minute replacements are really fast. Curious what your process is - are you replacing carriers or doing an actual bearing swap? What special tools do you use?
Just doing bearing swaps. We do have extra hubs as it does take time to get the out race off hub when removed. I use the Sir Tools master wheel bearing setup combined with a little experience and an 18v milwaukee 1/2" Impact.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving aggressive over curbs like at Buttonwillow does not help
Old 05-30-2018, 02:30 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

I replace all 4 every off season. Pretty easy preventive maintenance, and I’ve never had a failure during the season, 10-12 race wknds per year.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
I replace all 4 every off season. Pretty easy preventive maintenance, and I’ve never had a failure during the season, 10-12 race wknds per year.
Have you seen any wear issues in the wheel carriers with your multiple bearing changes? Do you use any lubricant or just freeze the bearing?
Old 06-02-2018, 05:33 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadeye
Have you seen any wear issues in the wheel carriers with your multiple bearing changes? Do you use any lubricant or just freeze the bearing?
Freeze the bearing, heat the carrier and they slide right in. No wear issues at all.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Freeze the bearing, heat the carrier and they slide right in. No wear issues at all.
This.....plus I have had success cleaning the surface inside the wheel carrier that the bearing slides in and putting a very fine layer of no seize. makes the next swap out much smoother......
Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
This.....plus I have had success cleaning the surface inside the wheel carrier that the bearing slides in and putting a very fine layer of no seize. makes the next swap out much smoother......
I did both fronts last off season using the same process as Bull-D but I also used a fine scotch brite pad to clean up the barrel a bit. The bearings may have been original as they were tough coming out even with the Sir Tool set up.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Lifetimes