996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Possible Big Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024 | 09:23 PM
DK570
Racer

Default Possible Big Engine Problem

I'm looking for some input on my situation. As I was pulling into the garage today the motor died. I thought I must have stalled it, so I tried to crank it but I only got a whirring sound. Not wanting to do any potential damage, I pushed it the last 4' into the garage. Codes read misfire on cylinders 1 & 6. Plus code 31 fresh air blower fault - which I assume is unrelated. No unusual noises prior to it stalling. Is there anything else I should check on the Durametric without trying to crank again? Is my next step taking a look at the oil / filter? I have an IMS Guardian, that has not gone off, so I do not think there is metallic debris in the sump. I also have an IMS Solution so I do not think it's the bearing. Oil has been changed regularly with DT40. I've owned the car for 13 years so I'm pretty familiar with it's history.
Old 09-16-2024 | 09:45 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Did you happen to notice if the tach was bouncing when you were cranking it? If it was zero, it’s likely the crank position sensor.

But agree with pulling the oil filter first.

Any bad or weird noises or other running drama in the last days?
Old 09-16-2024 | 10:09 PM
DK570
Racer

Originally Posted by golock911
Did you happen to notice if the tach was bouncing when you were cranking it? If it was zero, it’s likely the crank position sensor.

But agree with pulling the oil filter first.

Any bad or weird noises or other running drama in the last days?
I did not notice the tach.
No weird or bad noises, but interesting that you ask about running drama. On Saturday night driving home after a long day I did have a little jerky spot that lasted like 1 second. I can't remember it exactly, but at the time I brushed it off. I was mid conversation with my passenger and driving in the city, so lot's of start/stop between stop signs. I assumed I had nearly stalled it, and muscle memory saved it by clutching in. All this being said, I've owned the car 13 years, driven it for roughly 80,000 miles, and in all that time I can count on one hand how many times I've killed it.
Earlier today I dove it without any problems for roughly 50 miles mostly on the interstate with a 70 mph speed limit.
Old 09-17-2024 | 12:18 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

A "whirring sound" as a symptom/description from a non-professional doesn't exactly give the best info for diagnosing where to go next....If you could do a video/audio of the no start condition, it would give much insite into your issue for recommendations..

A whirring sound doesn't give off horrible indications, and since any damage probably has already been done, then no reason not to replicate the symptom and record the video/audio. ( that's the first thing a shop will do anyway)....
Old 09-17-2024 | 08:36 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

A whirring sound might be the starter gear is stuck and not engaging the flywheel. Have you ever had the starter replaced?
Old 09-17-2024 | 09:23 AM
DK570
Racer

Yes, the whirring sound did sound like a starter to me. It would just be super weird if the starter died right after the motor shut off. I did replace the starter motor about 5 years ago pro-actively. I already had easy access to it while working on something else.
Old 09-17-2024 | 03:16 PM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DK570
Yes, the whirring sound did sound like a starter to me. It would just be super weird if the starter died right after the motor shut off. I did replace the starter motor about 5 years ago pro-actively. I already had easy access to it while working on something else.
I had to replace my refurbished starter 1 year after replacing it. Based on my research it is a weak point.
Old 09-17-2024 | 03:34 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

I put in a rebuilt starter and it crapped out within two years. Replaced with a brand new Bosch starter from Amazon. Still all good. Given the PITA job, a brand spanking new starter will fix you up for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Coussa (09-17-2024)
Old 09-17-2024 | 03:55 PM
Coussa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I put in a rebuilt starter and it crapped out within two years. Replaced with a brand new Bosch starter from Amazon. Still all good. Given the PITA job, a brand spanking new starter will fix you up for a long time.
Agreed, I corrected my previous error by installing a brand new one from FCP Euro. At least I know I'm covered in a few years when I replace it again.
Old 09-17-2024 | 04:00 PM
allcool
Pro

Originally Posted by DK570
I'd try to start it again. Maybe bump the key on/off a few times if it doesn't catch the first time. Also might put car in 3rd gear and move car a few inches to reposition the flywheel. Might work if the solenoid is just weak. Then you can confirm the motor is ok. If it still just whirrs, then maybe try below....

If you're really worried about that coincident and want to check you engine, jump start it. Get a friend/neighbor to give you a little push, pop the clutch in 2nd gear with ignition key in the on position. just have to be rolling at a quick walking pace. Should fire right up. Once it starts right up, be ready to push in the clutch...

jmo

Last edited by allcool; 09-17-2024 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2024 | 08:23 PM
DK570
Racer

Originally Posted by allcool
I'd try to start it again. Maybe bump the key on/off a few times if it doesn't catch the first time. Also might put car in 3rd gear and move car a few inches to reposition the flywheel. Might work if the solenoid is just weak. Then you can confirm the motor is ok. If it still just whirrs, then maybe try below....

If you're really worried about that coincident and want to check you engine, jump start it. Get a friend/neighbor to give you a little push, pop the clutch in 2nd gear with ignition key in the on position. just have to be rolling at a quick walking pace. Should fire right up. Once it starts right up, be ready to push in the clutch...

jmo
I don't think a failed starter motor would cause a misfire on cylinders 1 and 6.
Old 09-20-2024 | 07:17 PM
DK570
Racer

0 rpm when cranking, which golock911 suggested could be a crank position sensor. The old oil filter was free of debris, I put a new one on.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5411.mov (3.74 MB, 42 views)

Last edited by DK570; 09-20-2024 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:37 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Good on the clean oil filter. Agreed there is no tach movement, but that is not a normal engine cranking sound. It's not clear to me that the engine was turning. It is weird that the engine would quit running and then you would immediately have a bad starter. Maybe the starter has gone bad, but I doubt it's the cause of the stall. This sound is new with this problem, right? My current recommendation is to get the starter out and get it tested.

Anyone else with comments on the starter noise?
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:46 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Oh, and separately, your oil level shows completely full. please double check it's not overfull. Check the dipstick
Old 09-20-2024 | 08:59 PM
DK570
Racer

Originally Posted by golock911
Good on the clean oil filter. Agreed there is no tach movement, but that is not a normal engine cranking sound. It's not clear to me that the engine was turning. It is weird that the engine would quit running and then you would immediately have a bad starter. Maybe the starter has gone bad, but I doubt it's the cause of the stall. This sound is new with this problem, right? My current recommendation is to get the starter out and get it tested.

Anyone else with comments on the starter noise?
Agreed.
I might try and turn the engine by hand. I think I can do that by jacking up one side, and spinning a tire in 6th gear, correct? I believe I've read there's not enough room to fit a socket on the crank pulley. And yes, oil level is good on the dipstick. My digital readout sometimes says 100% full, sometimes says 2 bars down. I trust the dipstick more than the digital.
The following users liked this post:
golock911 (09-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Possible Big Engine Problem