Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying a 996 - Impossible to test drive, be taken seriously, or not encounter a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 09:00 PM
Bloku_
7th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Buying a 996 - Impossible to test drive, be taken seriously, or not encounter a jerk

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I need some serious guidance as I am getting zero progress... Below is my story on attempting to buy a 996...

TLDR; I want to get a 996.1 (or .2) but there are none in my region (Oklahoma or within 500 miles) that are sold by someone who will give me the time of day. I just need to test drive one before I throw any money at it, but I do not want to drive 10 hours to be like "I don't like it". No one will let me test drive. I had a gun brandished on me at a used car dealer over a 20k 996 automatic. On the internet, every seller is clueless (or acting) to the issues that plague the car and won't entertain me (like come on, do you even want to sell the car?). There is only 1 or 2 dealerships with a 996 near me, and one is a 60k turbo 996, the other is an auto *(I refuse to pretend to be interested in order to test drive it... it's got the wrong trans). This is really, really making me bitter. I am thinking of saving my money in hopes that the 997 crowd might be a bit more sophisticated and respectful but who am I kidding! People are people.... Also, I don't care for the 997 interior (meh), and my gf thought the front end looked like a bug haha! I really think the 996 was very modern, but the 996.1 has everything I want (headlights that are arguably more modern) and the cables and the dual-row IMS, and the less-stressed engine... I need help!

Ok, Why am I posting... I am losing steam and need guidance from some experts on where to go from here. I think I need to stay away from FB marketplace and maybe Craigslist. I have encountered nothing but people who owned the car for less than a year and appear to be either highly ignorant, are trying to make a quick Buck, and or cant seem to write proper sentences! Not one person has been able to get past text 2 where after saying hello, I ask for the list of things I need to have answered such as: How long have you owned the car, (if you did) where/when did you have the IMS done, did you do the clutch and RMS while you were in there?, what kit did you use to replace the IMS, what type of oil usage/loss are you seeing, blah blah blah blah blah. Any person worth their salt should be easily able to answer these questions, CLEARLY, and if they can't, I am taking my money elsewhere. Yikes

Also I have a terrible story of the 996 I decided to go see in person. I looked online and there was one for sale at this used car dealership for $22,000 with an automatic transmission and like 40,000 miles. The guy was extremely hostile towards me and my father and at one point brandished the gun on his waist to let us know that he's not playing around or whatever. Pathetic. Don't go judging us. My father had to tell me to just sit in the car and experience the vehicle and roll up the window while he deals with Mr jack A. Only after my father told him "hey, IDK who you think we are but my son here is nothing like you think he is, and is in the market for one of these cars. You're being mad disrespectful towards him (us)". Only once he said this and I hopped out did he even offer to shake our hands... We left. Honestly, you could have the nicest car in the world but if you are disrespectful, I am leaving. Every owner I have encountered is acting like this porsche is not a 22k car but a 220k lambo.

After reasearch, I have settled on instead of trying to get a steal on a 996 for close to $20,000, I have simply realized that it is much more intelligent to spend around 30,000 and get exactly what I want and mitigate many issues that could be much much more expensive than 30k. I am also looking for a daily driver as my favorite car ever to drive was my Karmann Ghia... Something about the engine being in the rear and the two plus two with the hard top and the Beautiful lines and the way it handles and... I just love it. The problem with it is I can't afford (more like I refuse to allow it to happen) her to get wrecked and more importantly for me to get hurt from its lack of airbags. That 60 horsepower is also not very good for modern traffic. I have ridden shotgun in several boxers and some cars with similar horsepower to the 996, such as 400 horsepower American car which would have the same power the weight ratio as a 300 horsepower Porsche and I really like that area of power and don't need anymore.

I am seriously getting fed up and just need some proper discourse about these cars. To clarify further, I am in the market for a 996... not my first Porsche but my first 911 (pretty normal). I have researched them every day before and after work for the last two months and feel I have a good grasp on this car. I gravitated towards it after parking next to one the other day by chance. What really struck me was the SIZE (smole) and the OLD SCHOOL VIBE! I feel in love tbh. About 4 months ago is when I got the 996 bug. I dismissed it until I saw the prices they ran for. I was in the market for a miata... meh. I am a big simulator driver and also an even bigger mechanic. I have owned cars like so: old vw's (ghias, bugs, busses), porsche 914s, old toyotas, bmws (2002s, e21's, e36s), mazdas (mid 2000s), and more, but I am in my mid 20s and a recent college graduate. I am confident in my wrenching abilities and have purposly looked into the worse this car can throw at me. I am scared, but fear is good as it tells you what to and or not to deal with... So here is my current thoughts and I want to know what you owners think.

I have heard on the internet that these cars make excellent daily drivers and I've also heard that the owner retention of Porsche 911 owners is extremely high! I plan to drive this thing for a seriously long while. To me it's just a bonus that it's 25 years old if I get a 99 (as it will be "classic" and I can insure it as so tehe) I'm very excited but my excitement is waning as this is become extremely tedious and not one person has been kind to me along my way. Really I just need to know if there's any groups or places that I'm not looking where I can find a car within 250 Mi of Oklahoma. Honestly I just need to test drive the thing! I need to see what I'm getting into! I'm willing to find a nice example wherever it may be in the country, and have it taken for a PPI and then if it passes the PPI to have it shipped to Oklahoma, I better know I like the vehicle for real before I do any of this and it's incredibly difficult right now on me to get this. I think I need to talk to some people or go to some car meets or something? But most people see my appearance and become scared on Instinct. Even though I am an electrical computer engineer by day, yes they just can't get over the fact that I'm a 24 year old male with long hair. It's kind of sad, but not surprised at all either. I'm really struggling as I'm sure you guys can tell and just need someone to guide me if at all. To whoever's read this far I appreciate you! I know the guys on the forms are the real ones. I remember being like 14 years old trying to build my Karmann Ghia on thesamba.com (my username was (is) Bloku_ there as well) those guys were always great. From what I read looking through the Porsche forms here on rennlist, very similar

Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by Bloku_; 05-15-2024 at 09:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Bloku_:
911Dreamer (05-16-2024), dbwisle (05-16-2024), DP8 (05-16-2024), igrip (05-16-2024), SlakkerRacingDev (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:15 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,743 Posts

All i can say is it sounds like u like in an f'ed area of our country. Your asks r not unreasonable so stick by your "guns". What your asking is important and will help u get a good car. Its tricky owning a 996 as a dd because it requires maintenance amd thats not cheap. If u were on the east coast i would let u drive a gt3 motor 996 and spoil u.

Hopefully some one closer can help u out.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:52 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 615 Posts

OP - Sorry so many folks are being prigs, prats and bollocks thumpers. There’s a pretty cool dude in OKC you may want to touch base with. He knows a lot of Porsche folks and might be able to get you headed in a correct direction for your search:

Brandon Clark
Slakker Racing Development
www.sr.dev
Certified Cylinder Head Machinist - AERA
Certified Hartech Machining and Engine Rebuilding - Hartech UK
Certified High Performance Tuner - EFI Univ

Be sure to check out our FB page and our Porsche Engine Nerds group.

Last edited by hatchetf15; 05-15-2024 at 09:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hatchetf15:
islaTurbine (05-17-2024), SlakkerRacingDev (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:37 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

You are looking for an enthusiast seller, most Porsche people (yes even 996 owners) don’t know about IMS bearings, and which one is in the car….. you need to search out the enthusiasts.

Check out the PCA website for cars for sale. Without membership, you can’t read the whole ad, but if you ask nicely, someone here can help get you the full ad…..

I also recommend you check out the event page on the local PCA region, see when they have social type meetings (cars and coffees, breakfast meet ups that end with checking out and talking cars….)

I see there is at least one PCA region covering Oklahoma….

https://cimarronregionpca.org/upcoming-events

At a minimum if you show up and show interest to people about their cars, you may be able to get a ride in a 996, possibly an offer to drive one…..

Just a thought.

-Eric
04 996

based in AZ, working in CA (not so close to Oklahoma)
The following 7 users liked this post by Eric Kessel:
996-CAB (05-16-2024), Einsteiger (05-16-2024), igrip (05-16-2024), imhighlander (06-08-2024), Rat70fj (05-16-2024), Woodman71 (05-16-2024), wyovino (06-05-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:16 AM
connect_yvr
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Bummer. Sorry to hear about your experiences. I've been in a similar boat, trying to find a 911 someone will let me drive since January without much luck until recently. I'm about 10 years older than you, but probably look your age (also with long hair).

All I can say is take your time and find the right one. My patience (and persistence) seems to be paying off now - I connected through a friend of a friend with a person selling his 996 through word of mouth and will likely get a test drive out of that and also connected with a dealer who's set up a test drive for Saturday.

One thing that I think could be a barrier other than your age/appearance is if you come on too strong by asking too many questions, that can be a turnoff. Also I've found a lot of owners don't respond well to messages/emails; a call can really make a difference if you can come across as mature and genuine.

As other folks have recommended, I think it might help if you try to meet the local Porsche community or even just the car enthusiast community in general. They might know someone selling or just another owner who's willing to let you take a 911 for a spin.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (06-08-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:17 AM
Rat70fj
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

@Eric Kessler, Great advice.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:22 AM
igrip
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts

Enthusiast sites (like this) are a great suggestion and stay away from dealers. You’ll find someone and your questions are honestly very reasonable and I would ask the same. Heck if you can make it to College Station, you can drive mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by igrip:
imhighlander (06-08-2024), porschedog (06-05-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:20 AM
03pcoupe
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let the search get you down, it's part of the journey! You sound like a car guy so there's no way you wouldn't enjoy a manual 996. They really are incredible cars and the existence of this forum and it's thousands of members is proof. I purchased my 996.2 after finding it online many states away, it had 45k miles and no service records. But I found a porsche indy in the area to perform a PPI with bore scope, and his assessment gave me the confidence to buy it and have it trailered to me. The car makes me grin every time I see it, smile and laugh every time I drive it. I know there will be expenses down the road so I plan and budget for them, and will do whatever I can myself to save money.

In conclusion, search thoroughly and ask the seller/dealer all the questions, obtain service records, get a good understanding of what the car had done and will require, PPI by an experienced mechanic that will reveal issues and hopefully give you the confidence to make the purchase.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:57 AM
isalos
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally understand your thoughts, been there, so here is what I would do in this case, if I would see a car away from my area:

1. Ask the seller to send you the VIN code pics from the 2-3 places in which it is written. Verify with my local Porsche dealer on the car specs.
2. Ask the seller to send you pictures of all windows, especially on the markers. From the window markers you can check whether the car had a major accident and the glass was changed. A changed front windscreen does not necessarily mean the car had an accident. Probably a chip from a car in front. But a change of the rear window or side windows, 99,9% of the cases it relates to an accident.

If those two tests pass, then:

3. Hire a professional on the area, to go check the car. In my country you can find professionals online, they perform a number of tests, including testing the coolant for exhaust fumes, checking the car underneath, checking the oil quality for coolant, etc. They need to be able to scan the car for errors, best case to have PST/PIWIS, otherwise, for 996 (which is a simple car in terms of electronics) you can go away with a simple OBD2 scan. They need to verify that the codes have not been deleted prior to the check by the seller (this is easily understood from the readiness).
4. If you want to be more thorough about it, pay an oil analysis for the car, kindly asking the seller to send the specimen.

If all is good, fly to the place with the money in the pocket, drive the car, and if you like it buy it. You are flying there to buy it, not to test drive it.

PS: my personal opinion (with the risk of being kicked-banned from the forum) is that a tiptronic 996 would have received less abuse from previous owners (over-revved, tracked, etc). So when I was at the quest for the 996, I skipped all manuals. The gearbox is slow, but it still gives you that Porsche feel.

Last edited by isalos; 05-16-2024 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:13 AM
Carlo D
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I got mine from Carsandbids.com and shipped from Canada but I highly recommend avoiding going out of country 😅
I had an overall good experience.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:03 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,759 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloku_
Hello Ladies and Gents,
There is only 1 or 2 dealerships with a 996 near me, and one is a 60k turbo 996, the other is an auto *(I refuse to pretend to be interested in order to test drive it... ... it's got the wrong trans).
I looked online and there was one for sale at this used car dealership for $22,000 with an automatic transmission and like 40,000 miles. The guy was extremely hostile towards me and my father.

This is what is a bit confusing in your story. While I applaud your level of research and due diligence, showing up with you father to look at a car that you don't want is just a waste of time for both parties. No wonder the dealership's salesman showed his gun. Maybe he quickly realized that you really didn't want an automatic Porsche and got tired of the condescending interrogation of a car that he has no chance of selling?

Hello Ladies and Gents,]
it is much more intelligent to spend around 30,000 and get exactly what I want I'm a 24 year old male with long hair.
You're the same age as my daughter. You Gen Zs are so overly apprehensive about everything.

The best advice I can give YOU in the words of my Gen Z children .... CHILL BRUH!!!

Set a budget and be patient until you find the right car. I'm on my forth Porsche and every seller was more than happy to let me test drive the car and have it inspected. Remember, (when you're talking with the seller) you can catch MORE flies with honey than you can vinegar!

If you're contacting them via Facebook direct messaging, DON'T write a NOVEL like you did in the original post of this thread. If you need to answers to more than a few questions, ask to talk on the phone and act appreciative instead of contentious and apprehensive. Based on my experience, most people that inquire about a Porsche on Facebook or Craigslist won't follow through on a purchase. Mostly tire kickers. That's why I sold my last 911 on Bring A Trailer.
The following 7 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
bmchan (05-18-2024), F. Thumb (05-18-2024), igrip (05-16-2024), KeyWest996 (05-17-2024), Larson E. Rapp (05-16-2024), Rockerchief (05-16-2024), Woodman71 (05-16-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2024, 10:16 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Well If you are to find one in Houston I would be willing help by taking a peek and giving you an honest opinion. Just reach out.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:59 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 639 Posts

Ditch the dad, roll up in a rented baller pickup or SUV, and tell them it's for your girlfriend.
The following 5 users liked this post by wdb:
cboxell (05-16-2024), F. Thumb (05-18-2024), Fracture (05-16-2024), igrip (05-16-2024), sdematt (06-05-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 11:41 AM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I need some serious guidance as I am getting zero progress... Below is my story on attempting to buy a 996...

TLDR; I want to get a 996.1 (or .2) but there are none in my region (Oklahoma or within 500 miles) that are sold by someone who will give me the time of day. I just need to test drive one before I throw any money at it, but I do not want to drive 10 hours to be like "I don't like it". No one will let me test drive. I had a gun brandished on me at a used car dealer over a 20k 996 automatic. On the internet, every seller is clueless (or acting) to the issues that plague the car and won't entertain me (like come on, do you even want to sell the car?). There is only 1 or 2 dealerships with a 996 near me, and one is a 60k turbo 996, the other is an auto *(I refuse to pretend to be interested in order to test drive it... it's got the wrong trans). This is really, really making me bitter. I am thinking of saving my money in hopes that the 997 crowd might be a bit more sophisticated and respectful but who am I kidding! People are people.... Also, I don't care for the 997 interior (meh), and my gf thought the front end looked like a bug haha! I really think the 996 was very modern, but the 996.1 has everything I want (headlights that are arguably more modern) and the cables and the dual-row IMS, and the less-stressed engine... I need help!

Ok, Why am I posting... I am losing steam and need guidance from some experts on where to go from here. I think I need to stay away from FB marketplace and maybe Craigslist. I have encountered nothing but people who owned the car for less than a year and appear to be either highly ignorant, are trying to make a quick Buck, and or cant seem to write proper sentences! Not one person has been able to get past text 2 where after saying hello, I ask for the list of things I need to have answered such as: How long have you owned the car, (if you did) where/when did you have the IMS done, did you do the clutch and RMS while you were in there?, what kit did you use to replace the IMS, what type of oil usage/loss are you seeing, blah blah blah blah blah. Any person worth their salt should be easily able to answer these questions, CLEARLY, and if they can't, I am taking my money elsewhere. Yikes

Also I have a terrible story of the 996 I decided to go see in person. I looked online and there was one for sale at this used car dealership for $22,000 with an automatic transmission and like 40,000 miles. The guy was extremely hostile towards me and my father and at one point brandished the gun on his waist to let us know that he's not playing around or whatever. Pathetic. Don't go judging us. My father had to tell me to just sit in the car and experience the vehicle and roll up the window while he deals with Mr jack A. Only after my father told him "hey, IDK who you think we are but my son here is nothing like you think he is, and is in the market for one of these cars. You're being mad disrespectful towards him (us)". Only once he said this and I hopped out did he even offer to shake our hands... We left. Honestly, you could have the nicest car in the world but if you are disrespectful, I am leaving. Every owner I have encountered is acting like this porsche is not a 22k car but a 220k lambo.

After reasearch, I have settled on instead of trying to get a steal on a 996 for close to $20,000, I have simply realized that it is much more intelligent to spend around 30,000 and get exactly what I want and mitigate many issues that could be much much more expensive than 30k. I am also looking for a daily driver as my favorite car ever to drive was my Karmann Ghia... Something about the engine being in the rear and the two plus two with the hard top and the Beautiful lines and the way it handles and... I just love it. The problem with it is I can't afford (more like I refuse to allow it to happen) her to get wrecked and more importantly for me to get hurt from its lack of airbags. That 60 horsepower is also not very good for modern traffic. I have ridden shotgun in several boxers and some cars with similar horsepower to the 996, such as 400 horsepower American car which would have the same power the weight ratio as a 300 horsepower Porsche and I really like that area of power and don't need anymore.

I am seriously getting fed up and just need some proper discourse about these cars. To clarify further, I am in the market for a 996... not my first Porsche but my first 911 (pretty normal). I have researched them every day before and after work for the last two months and feel I have a good grasp on this car. I gravitated towards it after parking next to one the other day by chance. What really struck me was the SIZE (smole) and the OLD SCHOOL VIBE! I feel in love tbh. About 4 months ago is when I got the 996 bug. I dismissed it until I saw the prices they ran for. I was in the market for a miata... meh. I am a big simulator driver and also an even bigger mechanic. I have owned cars like so: old vw's (ghias, bugs, busses), porsche 914s, old toyotas, bmws (2002s, e21's, e36s), mazdas (mid 2000s), and more, but I am in my mid 20s and a recent college graduate. I am confident in my wrenching abilities and have purposly looked into the worse this car can throw at me. I am scared, but fear is good as it tells you what to and or not to deal with... So here is my current thoughts and I want to know what you owners think.

I have heard on the internet that these cars make excellent daily drivers and I've also heard that the owner retention of Porsche 911 owners is extremely high! I plan to drive this thing for a seriously long while. To me it's just a bonus that it's 25 years old if I get a 99 (as it will be "classic" and I can insure it as so tehe) I'm very excited but my excitement is waning as this is become extremely tedious and not one person has been kind to me along my way. Really I just need to know if there's any groups or places that I'm not looking where I can find a car within 250 Mi of Oklahoma. Honestly I just need to test drive the thing! I need to see what I'm getting into! I'm willing to find a nice example wherever it may be in the country, and have it taken for a PPI and then if it passes the PPI to have it shipped to Oklahoma, I better know I like the vehicle for real before I do any of this and it's incredibly difficult right now on me to get this. I think I need to talk to some people or go to some car meets or something? But most people see my appearance and become scared on Instinct. Even though I am an electrical computer engineer by day, yes they just can't get over the fact that I'm a 24 year old male with long hair. It's kind of sad, but not surprised at all either. I'm really struggling as I'm sure you guys can tell and just need someone to guide me if at all. To whoever's read this far I appreciate you! I know the guys on the forms are the real ones. I remember being like 14 years old trying to build my Karmann Ghia on thesamba.com (my username was (is) Bloku_ there as well) those guys were always great. From what I read looking through the Porsche forms here on rennlist, very similar

Thank you so much!!!
They can be excellent daily drivers, but be prepared to pay for the price for daily driiving with your wallet to make the car a daily driver. You can save some money if you can do the work yourself. I was in the same boat as you but it took me way longer to get into a 996, now that I have mine, I am kicking myself why I didnt do it sooner. You have to decide which model you want you want 996.1 (Gen1) or 996.2 (Gen 2) Research engine, varioccam, glovebox and headlights. You have a choice of coupe, cab and targa.

Ive been daily driving my 04 Targa for the past 6 months and within those months the coolant tank which are known to break since they are plastic, did tthat to me 2 weeks ago, while at the shop the Indy told me my fuel pump and sender had to be changed as well. These things are going to happen and are part of the daily driving routine. So far around $2,836 on oil change and the repairs above. I didnt expect the fuel pump and sender to be changed out, so you will have to account for any what ifs, on top parts that should be replaced for piece of mind daily driiving.

I would research long and hard on rennlist for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 models and what owners have faced with issues and asked other members for advice, I would also recommend that if you daily drive the 996 to have a back up vehicle for those times it will be in the shop.

Last edited by 911Dreamer; 05-16-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:45 AM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Join the PCA and make some friends, attend some events and network. It is a great community once you get to know folks. I would avoid dealers and other types you mentioned and spend time on the forums online and PCA on person and you will find the right one or more like it will find you. I am fairly impatient but some things are best not rushed if you plan on catching the disease we all have here .
The following users liked this post:
Marv (05-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Buying a 996 - Impossible to test drive, be taken seriously, or not encounter a jerk