Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing stole my shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 10:47 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Numeric Racing stole my shifter

Oct 7th
Purchased a Numeric racing shifter for my 981 Cayman.

Oct 20
Shifter arrives.

Nov 14
Installed the shifter. With the 2mm spring, reverse is too stiff for me.

Nov 15
Emailed sales@numericracing.com and asked if I can buy the 1.5mm spring.
Jordan Lewis replies "The only solution to swap out the springs would be to send back the shifter to us and I will swap the springs out for you and ship this back to you."

Nov 20
Asked how much it would cost.
Jordan says "I am not charging you for the swap, just the shipping cost to ship back to you once completed."

Nov 22
Sent shifter back to Numeric.

Nov 27
Shifter arrived at Numeric Racing.

Nov 30
Followed up on spring change.
Jordan replies "Yes we received your shifter. Give me to the beginning of next week to get this knocked out."

Dec 6
Followed up on spring change. No reply.

Dec 8
Followed up on spring change. No reply.

Dec 11
I ask if I can get a refund, since they don't have time to swap the spring. No reply.

Conclusion
  • I spent several hundred dollars.
  • I don't have a shifter.
  • Jordan Lewis of Numeric Racing won't answer my email.
  • If you want a shifter, I recommend the new Rennline one.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-15-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:07 PM
SinkRate
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 44 Posts

This is really disappointing to hear, and seems to be the latest trend with Numeric. This has to be the third or fourth thread I've read about people having communication issues with them. Some purchased a shifter from them and then just never heard anything, now you've sent one back and are out the money and the shifter.

I was literally 30 seconds away from buying their shifter last week, and decided to pause given what I had read. Wanted to see if the trend continued before I sent them my money. Seems like I made the right move.

Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully they come through for you sooner rather than later.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:55 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SinkRate
I was literally 30 seconds away from buying their shifter last week, and decided to pause given what I had read. Wanted to see if the trend continued before I sent them my money. Seems like I made the right move.

Honestly, the Rennline shifter looks better to me now.

First, I couldn't get the jam nut to stay on the Numeric shifter, so the rod for the shift **** kept coming loose. The Rennline shifter uses a set screw instead of a jam nut, so you don't have to worry about that.

Second, this white clip of the shift boot hits the top of the shifter. So the shift boot doesn't sit flush against the center console. They didn't design enough clearance between the center console and the top of that bearing.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-13-2023 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:03 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 604 Posts

I have had good experiences with Numeric in Past, unfortunate to hear this. I have had my shifter for about 4-5 years at this point with ZERO mechanical issues including the Jam Nut.

Keep us updated as that turn around is inexcusable IMO.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:05 AM
jt3sd
Advanced

Received 153 Likes on 43 Posts

I Had to Follow up like crazy to get mine built and shipped after I placed my order earlier this year . Jordan was my point guy too , and after 3 or 4 follow ups finally it was built then shipped .

He had said the owner was having health issues and it was just him building the units , kinda made friends with him , maybe that helped ..

All that said , the shifter is awesome - rifle bolt precision shift action -far better than the GT 3 short shifter standard on the 991.2 911T , and I like the 2MM spring

The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 07:33 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

In my experience with Numeric Jordan was a 1-man show literally doing everything there.

The lack of communication can be frustrating but in OP’s case it hasn’t been too long. Waited over 2 months for my shifter.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:49 AM
IRunalot
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 173 Posts

The owner is having some health issues and they have had trouble getting good employees to turn around units. I waited 6 weeks for mine back in February. I ordered mine from Flat 6 (also great guys) so reached out to them on my behalf around the 4-week mark.

I can say I was frustrated until I understood what was happening, beside I was waiting on a bunch of other parts..

I'm still ordering cables from them this week and will just wait. It's your money I get it, but health issues can strike any of us at any time and they are not lying about it and they are trying their best. Could it be better sure but sometimes the situation is what it is, and it’s not being done on purpose.

All that being said I love the shifter, and just my two cents this is a time they need a bit of understanding and support from the community.
nsau (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 09:15 AM
SinkRate
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 44 Posts

I can definitely sympathize, but in that case the best thing they can do is communicate with their customers and manage their expectations. They’re doing neither.
Live Steam (12-14-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 09:51 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IRunalot
The owner is having some health issues and they have had trouble getting good employees to turn around units. I waited 6 weeks for mine back in February. I ordered mine from Flat 6 (also great guys) so reached out to them on my behalf around the 4-week mark.

I can say I was frustrated until I understood what was happening, beside I was waiting on a bunch of other parts..
That’s not frustrating it’s illegal. Unless you mention a shipping delay up front, you have 30 days to ship a product. If you can’t ship it in 30 days you have to ask for the customer’s permission, or refund them.

If, after taking the customer’s order, you learn that you cannot ship within the time you stated or within 30 days, you must seek the customer’s consent to the delayed shipment. If you cannot obtain the customer’s consent to the delay -- either because it is not a situation in which you are permitted to treat the customer’s silence as consent and the customer has not expressly consented to the delay, or because the customer has expressly refused to consent -- you must, without being asked, promptly refund all the money the customer paid you for the unshipped merchandise.
That’s an FTC rule

I'm still ordering cables from them this week and will just wait. It's your money I get it, but health issues can strike any of us at any time and they are not lying about it and they are trying their best. Could it be better sure but sometimes the situation is what it is, and it’s not being done on purpose.

All that being said I love the shifter, and just my two cents this is a time they need a bit of understanding and support from the community.
They have time to post on Social Media, but can't answer emails because of health issues? If you want to wait while Numeric plays musical chairs with inventory and customer money, that’s your prerogative. I asked for a refund and they ghosted me. That doesn’t deserve community support.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-13-2023 at 11:51 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by DriverDaily:
desmotesta (12-13-2023), duxsi (12-13-2023), isugoo (12-14-2023), PorscheAddict (12-13-2023), signal_gelb (12-30-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 10:42 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

@Numeric Racing

FYI
Old 12-13-2023, 03:28 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

After starting this thread, Jordan has finally responded.

?

We had a huge Black Friday Sale, so we have been extremely busy here getting orders assembled and shipped out. We ended up just building you a new shifter and scrapping the parts we could use off your shifter you sent in. The top where the lever is threaded had a pretty deep slash so we will just need to replace that part and can resale the shifter you sent in.

I am the only one assembling orders at the moment on top of juggling all customer service, shipping, billing, receiving.
I am aware of the "deep slash" he talked about. It's a small scratch on the anodizing where my wrench slipped tightening the jam nut. It does not affect the performance or function of the shifter at all. It does not require the shifter be 'scrapped' in order to change the spring and send it back.

Moreover. You can not use parts off of my shifter to build other people's shifters. Not without getting my okay first.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-13-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:29 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,190 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
After starting this thread, Jordan has finally responded.

Moreover. You can not use parts off of my shifter to build other people's shifters. Not without getting my okay first.
Why not? It is their shifter, and unless you put something proprietary on it, it remains their shifter and they can do what they want with it. They are sending you a new shifter.
Old 12-13-2023, 04:31 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Why not? It is their shifter, and unless you put something proprietary on it, it remains their shifter and they can do what they want with it. They are sending you a new shifter.
It's my shifter once I buy it.
The following 3 users liked this post by DriverDaily:
BigBob (12-22-2023), desmotesta (12-13-2023), signal_gelb (12-30-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 05:19 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

The agreement was Numeric would change the spring for free and I would pay for shipping back. Instead, Numeric tore it apart and used the parts to complete other people's orders.

I didn't get their attention until I created this thread. Now, they are retaliating, asking me to pay 75$ for a rebuild or accepting a partial refund.

I already issued your partial refund. We dont refund for shipping when the customer changes their mind but we refund for the cost of the product. In your case you returned a damaged shifter that cant be sold as is. So therefore there would be a charge for the cost of the part that was damaged. I was offering to send you a brand new shifter with only charging you for shipping, which we normally charge $75 for any rebuilds, I waved that for you. I understand This has taken time to get done and sent back to you but at this point I am not willing to just swap this out for free and just charge shipping. I would charge you the 75$ which we charge customers for rebuilds and the shipping. Im not going to go back and forth with you. I already cancelled the order, and gave you a refund for your order after deducting the shipping costs and the cost of the damaged part.
I can't stress enough this company doesn't deserve 'community support'. Don't just take my word for it, here are some reviews from other people:

Numeric Racing Porsche Short Throw Shifter and Cables / Bundles, Marketplace Thread
03-30-2023
Originally Posted by ctsang103
I'm amazed you even got a response, I waited over 3 weeks and contacted them every possible way yet still no response. Really disappointed with the lack of customer service and transparency.
04-08-2023
Originally Posted by JimEb
I'll hit the 2 month mark this coming Wednesday...I'm really hoping I hear something within 5 days now.

It's the cables I really need. The plastic clips that hold the OEM cables to the transmission bracket broke when I changed out the clutch. I didn't realize they lost all retaining integrity until I took the car on it's maiden drive after the major repair. Came off a roundabout onto a highway on ramp in a spirited manner. Went to grab 5th gear and the shift lever went 'flaccid'. Luckily I had 6th so I cruised to the next exit. Knew exactly what happened when I got to the bottom of the ramp and I couldn't get 1, 3, 5 gears...all the gears at the top. I could get the bottom gears 2, 4, 6. Luckily the car has enough grunt to start from a stop in 2nd gear. What a way to break in a new clutch, eh? I gimped it home and cobbled the cable ends back on and retained them with cable ties. It's a repair that doesn't inspire much confidence. Since the inferior OEM cables cost about the same as Numeric's I thought this was a divine sign that it was time to upgrade. Really thought when I ordered this back in early Feb that I've have it and installed in plenty of time before the nice weather. So now if I feel brave and take my car for a drive I need to stay within my AAA towing range.

The question is what do I do once May hits and they are still 'no call, no show'?...then June? I'm I still being too impatient? Where is a reasonable line in the sand to draw? This zero communication thing is a major problem, how do I know they didn't lose my order. Is it really going to show up at all? Seeing others who ordered after me receiving their order isn't reassuring. Things happen, we understand, but just please communicate and let the customers know the situation. Being upfront and honest with customers even if you have to give them bad news is still 100% better than ghosting them for months after you took their money.
Numeric Racing - No answer for >30 days, 993
06-15-2023
Originally Posted by DocTock993
I was an early (first run) purchaser of a Numeric Racing short shift kit for the 993.
AT the time of release, Numeric Racing stated that their kit would work with the "Golden Rod" (GR) modified shift rod.
We now know that was a false claim, and Numeric offered to take GR and make them "adjustable" so they would work.
My shop sent my GR to Numeric Racing and shipping recorded it being received on 5/16/2023

Total silence since that date...
No reply to the shop's repeated calls and emails.
No reply to my repeated calls and emails.
This is completely interfering with the completion of my project.

Before I start getting super aggressive about this, does anyone know if Numeric Racing is on a super long "vacation"? Did they go out of business?
Is anyone in the Tampa area and can drive by the shop to see if the lights are on?

Appreciate ANY assistance!

Numeric Racing Short Shifter, 993
09-21-2023
Originally Posted by Jan911
Hello Cobalt,

I might come back to you for purchase?
A month ago ii ordered a 964/993 short shifter and golden rod.
I need it for my conversion from C4 to C2.
After payment I got an order confirmation, but heared nothing ever since. No communication, no responce. Nothing.
I am very concerned that they are out of business.
As I live in Europe, I cannot check. Does anybody live in their area to check what is going on?

Numeric Racing Customer Service, 992
12-04-2023
Originally Posted by GeorgeA
I ordered a Numeric shifter a week ago and haven't heard anything from the company since. I tried calling, email and instagram messaging (left me on seen) and still no response at all. After reading a few comments on their posts about customers waiting for months and still no communication - I wanted to see if this is a common occurrence and if anyone else has recently ordered a part from them.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 12-13-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:23 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

this has now become a reddit thread and I am bowing out

lets keep things, issues and life in perspective

eventually you will get what you expected, **** happens

we should all strive to push down the Karen factor in every situation (not saying you did that, but we are close)

take a step back.. its a material item for a material conveyance toy... bigger issues in life

moving on

Good luck and enjoy your shifter when you get it

The following 5 users liked this post by desmotesta:
andredl (12-14-2023), DriverDaily (12-13-2023), IRunalot (12-13-2023), spyderbret (12-14-2023), tiiger (12-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing stole my shifter