Sponsored by:

Voltage fluctuations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 10:52 AM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voltage fluctuations?

Something strange that has plagued my 1996 993 for quite sometime. When I turn the fan on the CCU to '3' (sometimes on 2) the power to my dash starts to dip? This last time it happened it put my car into 'limp mode'. I was able to reset the ECU and it came back to normal. It's like there is a short somewhere but I'm not even sure how to start looking. My mechanic has never been able to isolate this. Like it's never happened when he has it (something I find a bit hard to believe) Just looking for suggestions. Other than this the thing runs like a dream. Maybe related...the radio will occasional turn on and off....but not all the time? Several years it's done this but never gotten worse.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:49 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Hi Cmdy,
Please describe what you mean by "the power to my dash starts to dip?"
Andy
Old 11-04-2023, 04:30 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

When the two front blower motors wear out, the sintered bronze motor bearings may pinch the axle and cause excessive current consumption. The problem varies depending on the fan motor temperature.
This might cause the problem you describe. You can remove the pollen filter covers and try to rotate the fans. If they do not rotate freely they must be changed.
Cheers,
Tore
The following users liked this post:
JSF (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

Yes, sorry my description wasn't the best. So at night if the headlights are on they will dim, down and come back up. Also the backing lights of the dashboard gauges. The electronic read out in the gauge w/ temp/speed/fuel etc will also dim in and out. And the radio will shut off, then turn back on. Typically, then I will change the fan selection to 4 or down to 1 or nothing and then the issue goes away. It so sporadic though. It won't always do it. It's strange right? It will do it with the air conditioner on or off.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:20 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

I will look at this. Thank you so much for the reply and your thoughts!
Old 11-05-2023, 07:24 AM
VladiD
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts

I am experiencing a similar thing in my car. When I turn the headlights on, the CCU will suddenly go on full blast, no matter what the temp/fan setting is at. I will need to get that looked at eventually.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:13 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Check the connections to the batter and the alternator.
Old 07-07-2024, 10:17 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

Default Resolved with CCU Rebuild

Hello, I wanted to close this out so in case anyone else ever has this issue....no need for them to suffer.. There ended up being a short of some kind in the CCU unit that was drawing extra power and causing the weird issues. I had it rebuilt and upgraded by Specialized ECU Repair and all the issues have all gone away.....thank freaking god.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:21 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmdykstra
Hello, I wanted to close this out so in case anyone else ever has this issue....no need for them to suffer.. There ended up being a short of some kind in the CCU unit that was drawing extra power and causing the weird issues. I had it rebuilt and upgraded by Specialized ECU Repair and all the issues have all gone away.....thank freaking god.
Please define what "upgraded" means? The CCU is very reliable and rarely fails. The CCU itself is incapable of causing, "the power to my dash starts to dip". Most likely you have a bad blower as ToreB indicated.
Your "rebuild" has modified something in the CCU that masks the actual problem, that most likely still exists and will re-occur.

http://www.systemsc.com/

Old 07-07-2024, 11:23 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by VladiD
I am experiencing a similar thing in my car. When I turn the headlights on, the CCU will suddenly go on full blast, no matter what the temp/fan setting is at. I will need to get that looked at eventually.
Sounds like you too have a 12V system supply problem unrelated to the CCU.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:30 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

I would point you to Specialized ECU Repair for their explanation on all they do to the CCU. All I can say is the issue are now resolved. I guess when I first posted this last year your input would have been helpful, but since you didn't and now my issues are resolved. I say Thank you and good night.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:43 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

I would have to ask then would this be something detectable under testing and diagnostics and my Porsche mechanic? The testing they did led them in CCU direction, I got it rebuilt, issues resolved. Not sure I'm going to dig anymore for a problem that no longer exists. I was only tryin to assist anyone else who ever has anything that looks like this. Literally NO ONE had any ideas that helped really and the mechanic that did end up finding the problem looked at me like I was crazy when I was explaining it.
Old 07-08-2024, 03:17 AM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would have to ask then would this be something detectable under testing and diagnostics and my Porsche mechanic?
Yes, if he fully understood how the CCU really functions.

The testing they did led them in CCU direction,
Indirectly! As an example, if the actual problem were the inside blower motors, the problem would only occur when the CCU was functioning.
Thus, someone could possibly conclude it was a bad CCU.

I got it rebuilt, issues resolved. Not sure I'm going to dig anymore for a problem that no longer exists. I was only tryin to assist anyone else who ever has anything that looks like this.
Literally NO ONE had any ideas that helped really and the mechanic that did end up finding the problem looked at me like I was crazy when I was explaining it.
Who knows what they really did to potentially mask the real problem? In reality, there's no way the CCU can directly consume enough power to affect what was happening.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:44 AM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

Holy Sh*t man, as if my piece of crap car heard you......it started doing again. I'm at an utter loss for words at this point.

Last edited by Cmdykstra; 07-08-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:03 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

I guess I'll have them go after the blower motors now. When it goes haywire, there is a kind of clicking sound from the fan. It's definetly weird though. Acted up on the drive to work this morning (2&3 settings), fine the rest of the day...damn thing.

Quick Reply: Voltage fluctuations?