993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage fluctuations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024 | 09:15 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Do you have the Bentley repair manual? Check the easiest thing first - is there a bad / loose ground somewhere? Your mention of random radio power cycles suggests an issue with a ground somewhere. The Bentley manual has really clear wiring diagrams - much better than the scanned in pdfs of the workshop manual floating around - and clearly shows the ground points.
Old 07-09-2024 | 09:21 AM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

I don't but I will. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Jlaa (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024 | 10:40 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

I just happened to be working behind the climate control unit these past two weeks. When you get the Bentley manual with the electrical diagrams, this is how you read them. Note that I was looking for ground being fed to the CCU for my manual transmission, non-Litronic car (1996 model) ---- here it is below. Note that if you have a flaky ground, it might not necessarily be THIS one .... might be a different ground point. Anyways, this is how you use the diagrams:

Below --- followed pin K/1 on the small connector to the CCU to point f on the next diagram:

Point f then goes to F133:

At F133, the diagrams indicate to look at Ground Point VI:

Here is where Ground Point VI is located in the car:

Last edited by Jlaa; 07-09-2024 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jay@EZimmoblock.com (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024 | 11:11 AM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

Wow, thank you. I have to be honest electrical wiring is a bit out of my range but I'm going to try to absorb and learn. I'm also taking the car back into my shop. It's just so weird because, since yesterday morning, i've driven the car 4 times, no issues. I had hoped that that what ever it was would completely fail at some point....ta-da...that's it! But no, of course not. Thank you very much!
Old 08-27-2024 | 12:55 PM
Cmdykstra
AutoX

Default When to give up?

So an update. I ended up getting a new alternator put in. Car worked fine for a month, bam, started doing the exact same thing this morning. I told them about the fan blowers but they said they saw issues with the alternator. At this point do I give up on this thing? I asked them to check all the grounds and everything. At a certain point I'm throwing good money at bad.

Quick Reply: Voltage fluctuations?