Sponsored By:

Radiator Flaps stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 02:06 AM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radiator Flaps stuck closed

Can anyone advise how to manually open up the radiator flaps on a (2015) 958 Cayenne?

Ive read on these blogs there is a fuse panel that can disable them (then manually open them up)
Ive read on these blogs there is a **** under the flaps on the passenger side on some Porsche models.

I had a fault indicating a radiator flap issue.
I need a temporary fix until I can get my car to the dealer next week.
I need to use the car for work between now and then (out of town)
This may be cool my engine down a bit. It shows normal temps driving around under 50mph on surface streets but gets uncomfortably warm when traveling on freeways for long periods of time

Thanks so much for any feedback.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:38 AM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

Actually, I may have answered my own question I reached in and manually opened the radiator ooling flaps....now the radiator can BREATH !!!

I started the engine and they did not auto-close... Tomorrow I will take it for a cruise and stop and check and see if they auto close while I'm driving unbeknown to me.
This I think is the culprit for very warm temps from my engine... especially since the dealership rules out a faulty water pump and replaced the thermostat

Hmmmm
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (10-15-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 10:20 AM
cayennepeppa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks I also have a similar error code. Can you please post some details on where the radiator shutter/flaps are located?
2015CayenneS (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cayennepeppa
Looks I also have a similar error code. Can you please post some details on where the radiator shutter/flaps are located?
take a knee in front of the car, look through the center grille. If you see radiator fins, yours are open. Otherwise, the plastic louver-looking things you see are the shutters. They're about 1-2" tall, and half the width of the radiator.
cayennepeppa (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 01:10 PM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

yep saw them... easily accessible by hand, too. I opened them up late last night. Flashlight in hand.

I am going to dive to the mountains and back today and see if my engine temps stay in the normal zone,

Pleasing results are expected now that I've done that.

As far as getting the radiator grill (shutters) motor repaired, I will see about that soon.

I understand why they open and close and if I had to choose one permanent position for them, they would be open.
I live in a warm climate so the engine warms up quickly.

Thanks for your reply
Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Olered
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Louvers

Originally Posted by 2015CayenneS
yep saw them... easily accessible by hand, too. I opened them up late last night. Flashlight in hand.

I am going to dive to the mountains and back today and see if my engine temps stay in the normal zone,

Pleasing results are expected now that I've done that.

As far as getting the radiator grill (shutters) motor repaired, I will see about that soon.

I understand why they open and close and if I had to choose one permanent position for them, they would be open.
I live in a warm climate so the engine warms up quickly.

Thanks for your reply
Louver motor at Dealer install is roughly $1200!
Old 08-11-2021, 07:02 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 314 Posts

Man you definitely set the record with the number of threads all dealing with one issue. There is no shame in just updating one of your prior 3 threads with new info.
Mrg02D (08-12-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:35 PM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

I cannot find a way to delete those other threads.. I have asked and no one responds, so they continue to live...yet here you are no contributing to anything, just bitching.

your complaints dont warm me up or cool me down

Last edited by 2015CayenneS; 08-12-2021 at 01:38 AM.
Booth9999 (10-15-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:41 PM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

yes radiator flaps have at minimum a very small purpose.... I manually opened mine and it chased away uncomfortable warm engine temps
Old 08-12-2021, 01:37 AM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

Yes , that is right, the radiator shuttters are behind the grill... If they are not working they should be easily accessed by hand to manually open then up so they are not closed full time... that will cause the engine to run warmer than normal. And may cause one to go insane and spend all kinds of money at the repair shop on things that dont need repairs, they'll want to charge you to fix things based on hunches and theories, like.. water pump, thermostat, Coolant, NOPE, nope, just open the shutter LOL.....
Old 08-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I cannot find a way to delete those other threads.. I have asked and no one responds, so they continue to live...yet here you are no contributing to anything, just bitching.

Well then…
Old 08-15-2021, 10:57 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 314 Posts

You are clearly obsessed with temperatures, even when trying to teach me a lesson. I’m contributing by telling you to just update one of your threads and maybe think for a second before you start multiple threads about the exact same thing next time. You’ve been here 2 weeks - maybe clue in a bit as to how most of the folks post about an issue they might be having.
AdInterim (09-11-2022)
Old 08-15-2021, 11:09 PM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

Originally Posted by leftlane
You are clearly obsessed with temperatures, even when trying to teach me a lesson. I’m contributing by telling you to just update one of your threads and maybe think for a second before you start multiple threads about the exact same thing next time. You’ve been here 2 weeks - maybe clue in a bit as to how most of the folks post about an issue they might be having.
MAYBE, just maybe think before you speak.

Those threads have slightly deviated off topics, and after catching so much noise about it from people who take blogs, posts WAY too seriously in their lives, I tried to delete 2 of the 3 threads to calm down all of you OCD homeslices..
There was no DELETE button found. NONE. How is it possible to delete a thread. Don't bother answering.
So gripe at the creators of rennlist.com instead of wasting your efforts, here addressing me who can do nothing about it.

And stay off my threads unless you have something useful to contribute to the topic at hand, OK? OK. Now bye.
vntperformance (04-05-2022)
Old 08-16-2021, 12:47 PM
KSpicer
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem 1 month ago on my 2015 CTT, they replaced the whole faulty radiator blind/shutter assembly with the motor under CPO. They had to remove the whole front bumper assembly. My car all of a sudden ran 20+ degrees (220+) hotter thats how i noticed at first, then realized after car shut off the fan was still blowing but flaps were closed. Literally was working one day, then not the next. Probably would have cost a few $$$ out of warranty.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:27 PM
2015CayenneS
Advanced

Originally Posted by KSpicer
I had the same problem 1 month ago on my 2015 CTT, they replaced the whole faulty radiator blind/shutter assembly with the motor under CPO. They had to remove the whole front bumper assembly. My car all of a sudden ran 20+ degrees (220+) hotter thats how i noticed at first, then realized after car shut off the fan was still blowing but flaps were closed. Literally was working one day, then not the next. Probably would have cost a few $$$ out of warranty.

Yep it's a defect, I think

Im going to permanently disable mine,
it shuts and closes when it's not supposed to
makes engine and oil uncomfortably warm, especially when driving through the desserts in summer.

Hopefully there is a cable we can simply disconnect to where it wont shut.. just leave that bloody thing open full time LOL

Quick Reply: Radiator Flaps stuck closed