Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Radiator Flaps stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021 | 01:39 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Originally Posted by KSpicer
I had the same problem 1 month ago on my 2015 CTT, they replaced the whole faulty radiator blind/shutter assembly with the motor under CPO. They had to remove the whole front bumper assembly. My car all of a sudden ran 20+ degrees (220+) hotter thats how i noticed at first, then realized after car shut off the fan was still blowing but flaps were closed. Literally was working one day, then not the next. Probably would have cost a few $$$ out of warranty.
Just had this done to my car also. CPO took care of it
Old 01-30-2022 | 09:44 AM
Jaxmemo
Intermediate

I know this is an old thread but got a question to those that have replaced the motor. Does the replacement motor need to be recalibrated/reinitialized? If so, how can it be done?

I ask because I replaced my motor twice, assuming first one was defective, no luck in getting the new shutter motor to work. I reset the code with my obd scanner, no luck, checked the fuses and wiring, all looked good. For now, I kept the shutters open until I figure out the issue.

I initially replaced the motor because the old motor was making weird noises and opened and closed as it wished, causing my engine to run really hot in the summer.

the code I have now is “radiator shutter implausible state”
Old 04-05-2022 | 09:12 AM
vntperformance
Racer

I experienced the b.s flaps debacle on my trek from acquiring my CD in Central Florida to Maryland this past weekend, the flaps stayed closed and my temps started creeping up as I gained speed above 80 mph, a quick search on here after arriving home determined those unreliable flaps and their design we're closed.
Old 04-05-2022 | 10:28 AM
Jaxmemo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vntperformance
I experienced the b.s flaps debacle on my trek from acquiring my CD in Central Florida to Maryland this past weekend, the flaps stayed closed and my temps started creeping up as I gained speed above 80 mph, a quick search on here after arriving home determined those unreliable flaps and their design we're closed.

Here is an update on my experience. I replaced the part twice using the VW part number since it was around $100 cheaper than the Porsche part number (FCP Euro replaced the part at no cost). I replaced it twice because I thought the issue was the first part, not knowing the motor needs to be initiated. After second replacement, the motor still didn’t work. I found a really nice person that lives in Orlando who had the right OBD tool to initiate the new motor and now it works like it should. So far, it cost me less than $100 to buy the motor and pay the for the initiation of the motor.

With the new motor, I don’t see how the flaps won’t stay open over 80mph because it has a strong resistance to manually being opened or closed. I feel like they’ll open and close with ease even with speeds over 140mph.

Last edited by Jaxmemo; 04-05-2022 at 10:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaxmemo:
mistervoo (06-01-2022), vntperformance (04-07-2022)
Old 05-23-2022 | 07:02 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaxmemo
Here is an update on my experience. I replaced the part twice using the VW part number since it was around $100 cheaper than the Porsche part number (FCP Euro replaced the part at no cost). I replaced it twice because I thought the issue was the first part, not knowing the motor needs to be initiated. After second replacement, the motor still didn’t work. I found a really nice person that lives in Orlando who had the right OBD tool to initiate the new motor and now it works like it should. So far, it cost me less than $100 to buy the motor and pay the for the initiation of the motor.

With the new motor, I don’t see how the flaps won’t stay open over 80mph because it has a strong resistance to manually being opened or closed. I feel like they’ll open and close with ease even with speeds over 140mph.
Thanks for posting this. How did you know it was only the motor that wasn't working versus the shutters also?
Old 05-23-2022 | 07:58 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Since I posted last October, I have learned that engaging Sport Mode opens the shutters when on the highway. Easy enough work around for me.

That said, does anyone know the actual operating parameters for the shutter system?
Old 05-23-2022 | 11:46 PM
Jaxmemo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CBA
Thanks for posting this. How did you know it was only the motor that wasn't working versus the shutters also?
the shutters appeared in good physical condition. The only thing mechanical that could stop it was the motor. Plus the error code was also a big clue it’s the motor/actuator.
Old 05-24-2022 | 12:09 AM
vntperformance
Racer

Got mine replaced under the diesel gate warranty extension last week.
Old 05-24-2022 | 12:19 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vntperformance
Got mine replaced under the diesel gate warranty extension last week.
That's interesting, the dealer said it was not covered under the Diesel Gate Warranty. They did replace my complete fuel system as it failed 3 months ago under warranty. This was a huge deal... both fuel pumps, all injectors, fuel lines replaced and gas tank cleaned.
Old 06-03-2022 | 09:33 AM
mistervoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jaxmemo

@Jaxmemo I have the same flap issue and wanted to replace the motor, this info is super helpful. Do you know if your person in orlando had to use a PWIS (official porsche tool)? I didn't want to get a motor have it replaced then run into the same issue.
Old 06-03-2022 | 11:41 AM
Jaxmemo
Intermediate

The guy in Orlando used Launch x431 I believe. It wasn’t dealer tool. I believe he used activate flap feature which didn’t work. He applied test feature to open and close and it worked and initialized the flaps.
The following users liked this post:
mistervoo (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022 | 05:59 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luciano136
Is this only on the 958.2? I googled radiator flaps but it seems like only 2015-2018 comes up.
Same question. I've got a 2011 S and looked thru the front grill but don't see any obvious radiator flaps so not sure I'm looking in the right place.
Old 06-03-2022 | 06:08 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Yes, just on 958.2's.
The following users liked this post:
luciano136 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022 | 06:33 AM
MyMom'sCayenne
3rd Gear

Hi 2015 CayenneS

I just got that error code on my mom's cayenne 2016 base model I recently got her. Could you send me your info to the mechanic that did that for you? I live in LA as well I would really appreciate all the help as the dealership fix prices are outrageous. $2000 for that when a screw might work even better We don't get much rain or cold here so I 100% agree with your decision to have it open. I took it to one of the independent shops and they said there was no way to keep them open. I call BS now that I read your thread.

Thanks for starting it!
Old 11-09-2022 | 05:35 PM
johnpvaldez
1st Gear

Default I just got the same problem but they made a loud noise

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dc4...1fGvP7fCdR45TQ

has anyone ever heard it so this when it was shutting…I noticed the radiator fans where also not running

it’s a 2016 turbo S not sure if that matters

Last edited by johnpvaldez; 11-09-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Flaps stuck closed