Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Looks like another exhibition today.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:57 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Their 5th 1-2 finish this season...…...so far. I may quit watching F1. Boring.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:03 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Snooze-fest. Almost as bad as listening to Lewis talk about what a challenge it's been this season...
Old 05-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

I had such high hopes for this season but it is perhaps the most boring season of the Mercedes era. So little going on in the back of the field too.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Love the thread title!

Originally Posted by PGas32
Snooze-fest. Almost as bad as listening to Lewis talk about what a challenge it's been this season...
Challenge for him against Bottas. Ferrari could do something if they would stop stepping on their own d*&k!

Red Bull, who are arguably weaker than Ferrari, are getting their podiums on driving and strategy. Ferrari is doing neither.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Meh. Not the most exciting race I've ever watched. Prolly should slept in this morning.

Nice thread title Dave...
Old 05-12-2019, 04:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

In other news... the sun came up in the east once again....

I've stopped watching altogether. The only way I'll watch another race is if I see chatter on this page from others saying what a good race it was and then watch it on ESPN App, otherwise I have better things to do on a Sunday morning.

I did watch the Indy race yesterday on the road course in dry/wet conditions.... what a race!!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1? I remember that!
Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

It was quite boring; not even the safety car period helped spice things up. And up next, the little train in Monaco.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ABusLux
It was quite boring; not even the safety car period helped spice things up. And up next, the little train in Monaco.
At least they occasionally pan to some hot chicks in bikinis.

Also, don't they still have the grid girls even though they attempt not to show them as much on TV?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The sport is in serious trouble, IMO. In the current state of affairs (drivers where they are, rules as they are, budgets as they are, politics as they are), there is no hope of anything ever changing. Too much has been solidified and tedium will be the end result. We need another set of major rule changes. When the sport went to the more expensive engines, among other things, the midfield teams got too far out over their financial skis. I doubt those teams want another change which will mandate more R&D and have more downside potential for them than upside. The teams that are spending the most to get the best results are running near the front and feel like they have a shot at winning under the current regulations. Thus, they don't want change either. The only group who does and is suffering are fans.

However, it seems that, as in the political spectrum, people will blindly defend anything coming from a particular group or entity. In this case, that entity is Formula 1. The technology, which is the only partially valid argument they can muster, is quite advanced. I have just enough of a mathematical background to understand and follow some of the aero technology. I don't think the average fan has that and even for me this is not enough, by itself, to justify watching the sport. Are people really supposed to care these advancements even though they are not visible to the naked eye, too secretive to be discussed, and too impractical to be implemented in the current set of road cars? I'm probably young compared to some of you, but I have been watching F1 for roughly 20 years now (and have gone back and watched previous seasons prior to that). I am now, for the first time in my life, spending my time elsewhere. I'd be interested to see what motivates everyone else to keep watching.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

I haven't watched in years, since the cars began sounding like UPS trucks
Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I haven't watched in years, since the cars began sounding like UPS trucks
This wished they sounded like a UPS truck! I can hear mine coming down the block.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By and large, the racing hasn't been consistently good since the refueling ban. And even then people complained about single file parade laps. More tech, less racing, that's how it goes.

For what it is, I'm happy to watch Lewis win more of everything and Leclerc eventually surpass Vettel as number one at Ferrari.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
By and large, the racing hasn't been consistently good since the refueling ban. And even then people complained about single file parade laps. More tech, less racing, that's how it goes.

For what it is, I'm happy to watch Lewis win more of everything and Leclerc eventually surpass Vettel as number one at Ferrari.
F1 hasn't been consistently good since the 70s but I don't see it recovering any time soon. I think their business model has about played itself out, What are the Monégasque going to do if F1 folds though? All they will have is the yacht show.

Meanwhile, the Indy cars had a really good race yesterday.

Quick Reply: Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes