Cat Delete Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cat Delete Question

Hey all,
Does anyone know if removing the catalytic converters on an 03 C4S would require any ECU changes or cause any codes to pop up? Also, I live in WA state so I have to get my car emission tested and I'm curious if removing the cats would cause me to fail that? When they test the car they just plug into the OBD2 port, so I'm thinking I'd be OK, but I'm hoping that someone might have personal experience.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I’m not sure. But what’s the reason for removing them? Are they worn out or noisy or just hoping for a few extra HP?

I think folks should not remove cats because it’s all we can do from keeping this earth as clean as possible. Plus, you will likely help reduce harmful gases, mostly close to where you live and breath the most air. And I really don’t think there’s much power to gain from removing just the cats to be honest.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you remove them you will get a CEL and code. Many will get O2 bung extenders which seem to be pretty effective to avoid the light. You can get them from Amazon for $14 or get them with the Porsche tax included for about $200....
Old 07-18-2018, 11:45 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...need-help.html
Old 07-18-2018, 11:49 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

There is no performance gain to removing the cats on a stock motor...Yes it will throw a CEL and yes removing them will cause you to fail an emissions test.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I’m not sure. But what’s the reason for removing them? Are they worn out or noisy or just hoping for a few extra HP?

I think folks should not remove cats because it’s all we can do from keeping this earth as clean as possible. Plus, you will likely help reduce harmful gases, mostly close to where you live and breath the most air. And I really don’t think there’s much power to gain from removing just the cats to be honest.
I'm hearing a slight rattle so I'm thinking the cats might be on their way out. That's the main reason for the question. I do like to breath, so I hear you on that one, but I do follow a lot of semi and diesel vehicles on my commute everyday, so until they start forcing them to pass emission testing, to me... it's just a tax. Especially since if you don't pass you just have to spend enough money towards "fixing" it to get them to give you a pass. So... it's hard for me to believe that they are trying to save the planet instead of just forcing to pay another "fee" to own a car. That, and the fact that a leaf blower puts out more pollutants than my car would without cats and there's no restrictions on them either. Just my rant on this. Hah

Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Red998
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks DBjoe
yes my thread illustrates that. Gotta pay to play. Tunes are not cheap and the new problems that come making these changes are also something to think about.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charha01
I'm hearing a slight rattle so I'm thinking the cats might be on their way out. That's the main reason for the question. I do like to breath, so I hear you on that one, but I do follow a lot of semi and diesel vehicles on my commute everyday, so until they start forcing them to pass emission testing, to me... it's just a tax. Especially since if you don't pass you just have to spend enough money towards "fixing" it to get them to give you a pass. So... it's hard for me to believe that they are trying to save the planet instead of just forcing to pay another "fee" to own a car. That, and the fact that a leaf blower puts out more pollutants than my car would without cats and there's no restrictions on them either. Just my rant on this. Hah
I Get it.

Is there rattle there upon cold start, or persistent even while hot?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:18 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

+996 on the benefits of a cat. I recently purchased a carbon monoxide monitor for my parents to use on their houseboat. When I received it, the first thing I did was take it into the garage and put it right behind my exhaust. At first I thought it was broken/didn't work because it wasn't getting a reading. Even after having the car running for several minutes with the garage door closed I only saw 13ppm. Fast forward a few days and I took it to the lake. The engines on the boat do not have cats, and the readings (outdoors but without a breeze) behind the boat were 460+ ppm. After seeing that, I fully appreciate the work cats do.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:19 PM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I Get it.

Is there rattle there upon cold start, or persistent even while hot?
It's a very faint rattle and could be something else so I'll need to do a bit deeper investigation, but the first thought was cats. I'm rarely behind the car when it's running, so I'm not sure if it's happening when the car is warm but that's a good question. Would that point towards cats or eliminate them.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:21 PM
charha01
Instructor

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
+996 on the benefits of a cat. I recently purchased a carbon monoxide monitor for my parents to use on their houseboat. When I received it, the first thing I did was take it into the garage and put it right behind my exhaust. At first I thought it was broken/didn't work because it wasn't getting a reading. Even after having the car running for several minutes with the garage door closed I only saw 13ppm. Fast forward a few days and I took it to the lake. The engines on the boat do not have cats, and the readings (outdoors but without a breeze) behind the boat were 460+ ppm. After seeing that, I fully appreciate the work cats do.
Yes... I've heard that on the newer P-cars, if you want to kill yourself by running your car in a closed garage, you will starve to death before that happens. Not sure if that's really true, but I remembered it... Hah
Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charha01
It's a very faint rattle and could be something else so I'll need to do a bit deeper investigation, but the first thought was cats. I'm rarely behind the car when it's running, so I'm not sure if it's happening when the car is warm but that's a good question. Would that point towards cats or eliminate them.
I have quite a rattle on my car when I start it cold. Another Rennlister has a very similar sound. Sometimes it ‘rattles’ and sometimes it ‘knocks,’ but either way, sounds BAD, but I’m not so worried about it anymore. If it’s bore scoring or chain tentioners, or cats, it will only eventually get worse if it’s a critical item or reveal itself to me one day if it’s the cats. Either way, a lot of cars have this, so I’m not super worried about it, especially since it only does it when it’s cold.

Quick Reply: Cat Delete Question