Sponsored by:

Regarding the new R tires and Nurburgring lap times

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regarding the new R tires and Nurburgring lap times

Is it true that the nurburgring record times GT2RS and GT3RS did were done with a DOT TRACK ONLY R tires which are not street legal? Does that mean if one puts those tires on these cars, the car has to be trailered to the track and technically if you drove it in street, police could impound it?

If this is true, how can those 6:47 and 6:56 times be considered valid? I thought all of those nurburgring “production car” lap times had to be attained by cars that you can drive in street in stock form.

I’m sure I’m missing something here because this is a very fundemental oversight if true and I don’t think Porsche would do this.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:55 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Per Michelin: "Designed specifically for the Porsche 911 GT3, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 N1 tire is the latest generation of MICHELIN road-legal track tires."

My understanding is that these tires were the ones used to set the record lap times.

Also: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...t-nurburgring/
Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by WernerE
Per Michelin: "Designed specifically for the Porsche 911 GT3, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 N1 tire is the latest generation of MICHELIN road-legal track tires."

My understanding is that these tires were the ones used to set the record lap times.
Not sure what “road legal track tire” means. Are they DOT TRACK ONLY tires? How do we check and clarify this once and for all for the community?

MT is currently working on best driver’s car and they are recording laps in laguna seca and apparently Porsche team is swapping these tires back and forth with regular ones. If they were street legal, they would just give the car to MT team with these R tires and not swap anything, no?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sticky tires road legal tires that work well on a race track. Pretty simple.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ally-here.html

They are a DOT tire, therefore they can be driven on the road as long as some tread is left. These may be even more affected by cold than the current Cup 2.

Ryan
Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the GT2RS time was on N2 spec cup2 tires, NOT the cup2 R. The GT3RS time was on cup2 R. The tires are all still street legal.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM
DerStig
Racer

Is there a link to the official michelin spec for these tires? I cant find them. Seems like internet is divided 50/50 on whether these are legal or not.

If they are legal, why is Porsche swapping the cup2 vs Rs for street vs track test?

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

I am sure official auditors for every lap record are there to check and validate the time and compliance to the rules.

If Porsche has violated the rules, other car manufacturers they will identify this issue 24 hours after the lap record anouncement.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DerStig
Is there a link to the official michelin spec for these tires? I cant find them. Seems like internet is divided 50/50 on whether these are legal or not.

If they are legal, why is Porsche swapping the cup2 vs Rs for street vs track test?
They are swapping them because they are faster. It's not anymore complicated than that.

They aren't the standard tire because water performance and wear would be something all of the c&c buyers would whine about or sue over because they lost control in the rain.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:09 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the GT2RS time was on N2 spec cup2 tires, NOT the cup2 R. The GT3RS time was on cup2 R. The tires are all still street legal.
No they were both on the Cup2 R’s. Lars stated that both cars ran the same tire for their runs.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
No they were both on the Cup2 R’s. Lars stated that both cars ran the same tire for their runs.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...t-nurburgring/

Says here that they used n2 spec tires that are standard on the gt2rs. Unless n2=R? I don't think that is the case. Otherwise the gt2rs is only 9 seconds faster around the ring with 180hp more? Doesn't add up unless the gt3rs was on a faster tire
Old 07-15-2018, 03:00 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...t-nurburgring/

Says here that they used n2 spec tires that are standard on the gt2rs. Unless n2=R? I don't think that is the case. Otherwise the gt2rs is only 9 seconds faster around the ring with 180hp more? Doesn't add up unless the gt3rs was on a faster tire
That article is wrong. I would trust the man who was actually driving the two cars and he commented both cars had the new R tires.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:06 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Both the Cup 2 and the Cup 2 R tires are road legal. It's just the Cup 2 R tires will wear out 3 times as fast and cost twice as much.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

N1 for the GT3 (No N2 or N2R available AFAIK) and the GT2RS and GT3RS come with N2 OR the secret handshake, Ring special N2R that they set the record laps with.

The new 911 GT3 RS just ran a bonkers 6:56.4 at the Nurburgring Nordschliefe with factory driver Kevin Estre at the wheel, beating the mighty 918 Spyder. For additional context, that's 24 seconds quicker than the previous GT3 RS and over 16 seconds quicker than the new GT3. That also makes the GT3 RS the third quickest road car to ever lap the Nordschleife, behind just the Lamborghini Huracan Performante and the 911 GT2 RS.

This time is also way quicker than anyone at Porsche expected. When we first saw the GT3 RS earlier this year, development chief Andreas Prueninger told us it'd probably lap the 'Ring around 10-15 seconds quicker than its predecessor. He didn't expect a sub-7:00 run.

But per a Porsche press release, Estre and factory development driver Lars Kern ran four sub-7:00 laps on the day of testing.

That's crazy when you realize that the new GT3 RS only has 20 more horsepower than its predecessor. You can credit those extra 24 seconds to significant chassis upgrades, including much stiffer springs with helper springs, and new solid mountings on both the front and rear subframes. A new Weissach Package also brings optional magnesium wheels, which surely help too. Those wheels wrapped in a new, stickier version of Michelin's Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, the Pilot Sport Cup 2 R.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:27 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I found this article from Auto Bild.
They have a picture of the tyres during the record trial.

Not sure if someone can tell from that photo is that is the R or regular N2.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/miche...-12705333.html

Quick Reply: Regarding the new R tires and Nurburgring lap times