Regarding the new R tires and Nurburgring lap times

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 AM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
I found this article from Auto Bild.
They have a picture of the tyres during the record trial.

Not sure if someone can tell from that photo is that is the R or regular N2.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/miche...-12705333.html
Yes, but the record car was WP with magnesium wheels
I remeber from some article that GT2 RS was on N2 and GT3 RS on R.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I know a lot of people disagree with me, but there are also many that agree with me: Trofeo-R suck. Too finicky. Last 2 days. No faster than Cup2. If cup2 R are faster, give me 3 good track days, and cost a few hundred more, I'll be fan.
LOL. Saying Trofeo-R and Cup2 offer same lap time is comical. ......Why do you think Cup2R exists? Because it's their answer to the Trofeo.

They are no more "finicky" than Cup2. You may not like how they behave, but they behave more like "real" race tires do, and do like more camber because they are considerably faster and grippier. So for the guys who refuse to re-align their cars from stock (or run too low pressures), then yeah, they have more outer wear and complain about it on Trofeo-Rs. But that's user error.

We are getting great life out of them on all kinds of well driven, fast cars. M3's, GT4's, GT3's, etc. Hell, I got 20+ cycles out of a set on my heavy-azz M3, and that was driving very hard and sliding the car around being a hoon.

Maybe Cup2R lasts longer, who knows, but it won't last as long as standard CUP2, and will also likely require more aggressive alignments, otherwise people will be wondering why they have more outer edge wear. That's how grip works.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
LOL. Saying Trofeo-R and Cup2 offer same lap time is comical. ......Why do you think Cup2R exists? Because it's their answer to the Trofeo.

They are no more "finicky" than Cup2. You may not like how they behave, but they behave more like "real" race tires do, and do like more camber because they are considerably faster and grippier. So for the guys who refuse to re-align their cars from stock (or run too low pressures), then yeah, they have more outer wear and complain about it on Trofeo-Rs. But that's user error.

We are getting great life out of them on all kinds of well driven, fast cars. M3's, GT4's, GT3's, etc. Hell, I got 20+ cycles out of a set on my heavy-azz M3, and that was driving very hard and sliding the car around being a hoon.

Maybe Cup2R lasts longer, who knows, but it won't last as long as standard CUP2, and will also likely require more aggressive alignments, otherwise people will be wondering why they have more outer edge wear. That's how grip works.
Like I said, many will disagree and have polarizing experiences, but I'm not the only one with experience that feels this way about trofeoR. I think few here will say that I don't know what I'm doing. I ran 2 sets of trofeoR on my .1 with -2.7/-2.4 alignment and hated the tires even though the wear was even. G meter showed no difference in grip and lap times were the same. I can't explain it and I don't discount your experience, but the tires don't work well for me and many others who know what they are doing

Last edited by orthojoe; 07-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Regarding the new R tires and Nurburgring lap times