Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sta-bil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:47 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts

Just put 8 oz. into my TTS before dropping it off for winter storage. Have used Sta-bil in my C6 Corvette for storage every year I've had it.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll put a plug in for Seafoam. Switched to that when I noticed that an open container of Stabil was getting gummy. I have used it for winterizing all my cylinders (outboard, chainsaw, tiller, mower etc.) without any problems. We also are able to buy non-oxygenated premium here in MN, so that gets used exclusively the last month before "bedtime".
Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I have noticed a difference in after-storage operation between aged treated gasoline and untreated gasoline. The difference is increased when ethanol is 'added to the mix.' This for the older cars.

In some parts of the country it's effectively impossible to get unleaded with no ethanol.

It may be that modern cars with truly sealed fuel systems (thanks for that Kalifornia?) have less of an issue - perhaps none - with over-winter storage.

As for the "chemistry" throw some untreated but ethanol-laden gas in your snow blower (or lawn mower for those that have lawns and care about them) and let it sit for 9 months. If it will start and run for more than a few minutes get back to us.

I made this mistake once and got to spend a 'wonderful' half-day taking apart and cleaning the fuel system of the 'blower.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:26 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I have noticed a difference in after-storage operation between aged treated gasoline and untreated gasoline. The difference is increased when ethanol is 'added to the mix.' This for the older cars.

In some parts of the country it's effectively impossible to get unleaded with no ethanol.

It may be that modern cars with truly sealed fuel systems (thanks for that Kalifornia?) have less of an issue - perhaps none - with over-winter storage.

As for the "chemistry" throw some untreated but ethanol-laden gas in your snow blower (or lawn mower for those that have lawns and care about them) and let it sit for 9 months. If it will start and run for more than a few minutes get back to us.

I made this mistake once and got to spend a 'wonderful' half-day taking apart and cleaning the fuel system of the 'blower.
I use this stuff in boats and sleds but never remember chainsaw, lawnmower, weedeater or lawnmower and have never had a problem. all start right up following season.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:30 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Just a word of caution, I’ve reached out to my service advisor and head tech at my local Porsche dealer and both have discouraged using sta-bil as it might create problems in the fuel management system.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Just a word of caution, I’ve reached out to my service advisor and head tech at my local Porsche dealer and both have discouraged using sta-bil as it might create problems in the fuel management system.
That's extremely vague.

There are over 2,200 ounces of fuel in our cars. What are the 7 ounces (0.3%) of Sta-Bil going to do to the "fuel management system "? Whatever that is.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:15 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
the service guys at my dealer tell me the opposite. ugh. I wish I was a petroleum chemist and a mechanical engineer
Old 11-03-2017, 12:40 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
I'll put a plug in for Seafoam. Switched to that when I noticed that an open container of Stabil was getting gummy. I have used it for winterizing all my cylinders (outboard, chainsaw, tiller, mower etc.) without any problems. We also are able to buy non-oxygenated premium here in MN, so that gets used exclusively the last month before "bedtime".
I'll second Seafoam. I haven't used the other stuff in years after a .....
Old 11-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok well there is a VERY famous engineer that worked for Moto Guzzi for a long time. I will not mention his name but if you are familiar with these motorcycles you will know whom I am talking about. He always advised to use the "blue" stabilizer, and he said the ethanol in today's fuel is SO destructive to fuel systems, you should put it in every other tankful. He said it attracts allot of water, which causes chaos on your whole fuel system. Modern fuel systems hate water and fuel stabilizer does in fact help. I know another poster #14, said otherwise, but my friend worked designing fuel delivery systems for drones for the US government and does really know of what he speaks, and can back it up with real hands on evidence.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
Ok well there is a VERY famous engineer that worked for Moto Guzzi for a long time. I will not mention his name but if you are familiar with these motorcycles you will know whom I am talking about. He always advised to use the "blue" stabilizer, and he said the ethanol in today's fuel is SO destructive to fuel systems, you should put it in every other tankful. He said it attracts allot of water, which causes chaos on your whole fuel system. Modern fuel systems hate water and fuel stabilizer does in fact help. I know another poster #14, said otherwise, but my friend worked designing fuel delivery systems for drones for the US government and does really know of what he speaks, and can back it up with real hands on evidence.

Thanks for the info. Ive heard the same about periodically using it. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time one should be concerned. All cars arent disposable after 10yrs like many think.

Ethanol is a political fuel filler. Whats good for the engine is last on the concern list for those pushing corn.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Not sure about the science behind sta-bil.
I know nothing about it but... every garden tool/generator I've owned that did not have stabil required carb cleanup or rebuilding... Once I started using it they were fine henceforth. It works...

But as I said I use this primarily in the oldies that I drive infrequently. I would not necessarily bother with a modern car and a sealed fuel system such as the 991's. Doubt it'd do harm though.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:32 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

This discussion will go back and forth until someone can produce a controlled study demonstrating the benefit of Stabil (or another brand) in preserving the desired properties of fuel. Shouldn't be that difficult. What's a mystery to me why it's so hard to find such a study or why the manufacturer does not explain in layman's terms how their product works. It would seem like a great selling point, esp for those on the fence about using it.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by kuma1416
This discussion will go back and forth until someone can produce a controlled study demonstrating the benefit of Stabil (or another brand) in preserving the desired properties of fuel. Shouldn't be that difficult. What's a mystery to me why it's so hard to find such a study or why the manufacturer does not explain in layman's terms how their product works. It would seem like a great selling point, esp for those on the fence about using it.
There are ASTM and SAE tests that can be used in a controlled environment from fuel testing labs like SwRI in Texas. If the test results are not prominently displayed... there is something wrong.
I am just trying to point out that a lot of companies (mentioning no names) have a big claims without providing evidence or backup. I also know firsthand of the harm that can be caused to the fuel system by adding an incorrect additive to solve a fuel related issue.
It is your car and your lungs. Please be careful.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I always fill up with non-ethanol too for storage.

Try running that all the time regardless and will drive 30 min to get it.

Not sure about the science behind sta-bil.
I can't tell you the science behind CERN......buuuut

when I didn't use it in my lawn tractor one winter, it wouldn't start and needed cleaning (not battery issue, this is removed and stored in my heated garage).

used it from that point on and it starts every time, first time. I've also had similar issues w/ my leaf blower and hedge cutter.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for all your responses...I have been using it for a number of years when I store my 911s . I have never had any problems. It just makes me sleep better knowing that it's in there... kind of a placebo effect for me and the car????

Quick Reply: sta-bil