Sponsored by:

A 17 year old girl (driving a Kia) crashed into my 911S, TOTAL LOSS :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts
Default A 17 year old girl (driving a Kia) crashed into my 911S, TOTAL LOSS :(

My wife and I were out in my 911S one night last month, on our way to a local restaurant to pick up dinner for our family, and turned left on a green arrow, staying in the appropriate lane. A 17 year old girl in a new 2017 Kia Cadenza coming in the opposite direction, with a red light, turned right and accelerated, coming two lanes into the road, into our lane, and hit us hard around the right front wheel. The force of the collision pushed the wheel into the radiator, suspension, steering axle, and frame. No air bags deployed and no one was hurt, thankfully, except for my wife and I being sore for about a week and a massive bruise on my thigh from the steering wheel. Both cars had to be towed.

The police (and the insurance companies) found the girl to be at fault. Initial repair estimates on my car rose from $7k to $30k and then to $46k and the insurance company finally declared it as a total loss.

Glad no one was hurt but boy did it break my heart to lose this car. It was a really special car to me. A 991S w/Powerkit, PCCBs (ceramic brakes), Aerokit Cup spoiler, PDCC, Sport PASM, full leather with carbon fiber trim, yellow gauges/seatbelts/calipers (PCCBs), adaptive cruise control and more. Loved that car! Sad to see it go.

Anyways, after owning two used/CPO 991's (that I dearly loved), I ordered a 2018 Porsche 911 GTS today. This is pretty much my dream build and I hope to have this 911 for a very long time (as long as teenage drivers don't plow into me again!)

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKBZEJ1

Sapphire blue exterior, extended black leather interior (deviated stitching in GT Silver), painted interior trim (sapphire blue). Yes, I probably went way overboard but I'm not getting any younger.

911 Carrera GTS

Sapphire Blue Metallic

Leather Interior in Black

Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)

•Porsche Entry & Drive

•Auto-Dimming Mirrors

•Light Design Package

•Seat Heating (Front)

•Seat Ventilation (Front)

Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)

Power Steering Plus

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension (20 mm Lower)

Rear Axle Steering

Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)

20" 911 Turbo S Wheels

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)

GT Sport Steering Wheel

Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel

Deletion of Alcantara®

Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package

Smoking Package (got to have that extra outlet!)

Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell

Interior Package Painted i.c.w. Leather Interior Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Seat Belts in Silver Grey Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Extended Interior Package with Stitching in Deviated Thread Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Porsche Crest on Headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur

Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System

Color Leather / Deviated Stitching

I first fell in love with the 911 when my father was looking at one in the early 80s, when we were in Germany. He found a beautiful one with a whale tail but it was German-specs and converting it to US specs would have been problematic. He never owned a 911 (he did have a Silver Anniversary Vette many years ago) and now with his health and age, he really couldn't drive or enjoy one if he had one. I want to continue to enjoy driving 911's while I can!

This is the first car I have spec'ed out and ordered since my C5 Corvette in 1999 (a 2000) and my C6 in 2005 (a 2006). Going to be hard to wait this long and I am going to find myself hoping for an early spring!

Special shout out to Dan Nagy for the dealer/salesman recommendation!

Last edited by Hurricane; 10-31-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

sorry to see that but glad you guys are all right and excited for the new build!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that is absolutely terrible...sorry for the accident. What was the girl's initial reaction after finding out she just crashed a 911? I would be devastated, a unique build like yours would take forever to find, if not impossible unless ordering new. Anyways, glad no one was hurt. From the picture I'm surprised to see it racked up to $46k in damage. Did insurance write you a check for the $ you expected?

Nice build on the 2018 GTS btw!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by MJG911
sorry to see that but glad you guys are all right and excited for the new build!
Thanks! My wife was shocked at how calmly I took it LOL. Heartbroken but life happens...so glad no one was hurt, which is the most important thing.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by shake1
Wow that is absolutely terrible...sorry for the accident. I would be devastated, a unique build like yours would take forever to find, if not impossible unless ordering new. Anyways, glad no one was hurt. From the picture I'm surprised to see it racked up to $46k in damage. Did insurance write you a check for the $ you expected?

As you can imagine, a loaded 991 was a little challenging for them to value (they don't really access powerkit, PCCBs, necessarily, etc). I went back and challenged their initial value (they did a second valuation) and they came up to where I was satisfied. The final number was acceptable. (Would much rather not have had the accident happen in the first place, though!)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by shake1
Wow that is absolutely terrible...sorry for the accident. What was the girl's initial reaction after finding out she just crashed a 911? I would be devastated, a unique build like yours would take forever to find, if not impossible unless ordering new. Anyways, glad no one was hurt. From the picture I'm surprised to see it racked up to $46k in damage. Did insurance write you a check for the $ you expected?

I think the girl had absolutely no clue as to what she crashed into. No reaction, perhaps just shock. She called her mother and brother (but not the police!) who arrived on the scene in separate vehicles.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

The crappy risk we all take when we drive nice cars on the street. I'm sorry it happened, but also very glad everyone was okay—and that you could come to a value that is okay by you with your insurance company.

Your black car looks like it was a really nice car—and your new GTS looks like it will be a really nice car!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:36 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry for the bad luck but kind of glad they totaled the car. Better to have a new one with no accident history. Both your old car and the new GTS look great! Glad no serious injuries too!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:37 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

OMG! I loved your car. That is so sad. The aerokit, powerkit, NA engine, and PCCBs et al. You had the perfect build.

I am glad everyone is ok. At least the 2018 will be faster, more luxurious, better PCM and just newer.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry for your loss:/

Can I have your brakes and radiator? Potentially.... PM me the buyout price?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo813.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  1.05 MB

This car was a classic.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:47 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry for the loss but don't you just love happy endings?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

When one door closes, another better one opens up. Very glad all are un-injured. Let me guess, RT 7?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Beautiful cars, both old and new.
Glad everyone involved is ok.
Fortunate it was a total loss. Nothing worse than fighting to try to get a car like that back to being perfect. It's never happened for me - just end up getting rid of the wrecked car after months of frustration.
Best wishes to you and wife with new ride. Love Sapphire Blue.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Sorry for the bad luck but kind of glad they totaled the car. Better to have a new one with no accident history. Both your old car and the new GTS look great! Glad no serious injuries too!
I was thinking that as the estimates went up, that it would be better to move on than have a car that would never be the same. But man, I loved this car so much. Such a great car!

Thanks! So glad no one was hurt.

Originally Posted by subshooter
OMG! I loved your car. That is so sad. The aerokit, powerkit, NA engine, and PCCBs et al. You had the perfect build.

I am glad everyone is ok. At least the 2018 will be faster, more luxurious, better PCM and just newer.
I know...I was so upset "I'll never find this car again" LOL....and I got such a good deal on it when I bought it, too...

I started looking at lightly used 991.1 GTS's but their prices have been pretty strong. At some point, I just said screw it, I want to try new for a change. Haven't had a new one before...chance to spec it out exactly as I would want it...

Originally Posted by STG

Attachment 1265495

This car was a classic.
I know!

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Sorry for the loss but don't you just love happy endings?

Quick Reply: A 17 year old girl (driving a Kia) crashed into my 911S, TOTAL LOSS :(