we chat boxed this am on Facebook, and he was battening down with his
wife and staying at his mothers

prayers sent....
Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Advice needed

My 40th will turn 85K on the clock when I drive her next (see pic). I only put about 3,500 miles a year on the car. I'm thinking of taking the car to a local indy shop that I've used in the past, which specializes in Porsches of all vintages, to have a series of preventive maintenance items done. I'd like some advice from folks here as to things that they've had done on a preventive basis. I've already had that indy shop proactively replace the IMS with the LN ceramic bearing about 4 years and 15K miles ago. I had the RMS replaced at the same time. I was going to have the clutch replaced, too, but when they took the car apart they told me that the clutch had >50% life left so I left it alone. The alternator crapped out on me about three years ago and I had that replaced. Battery replaced earlier this year. Knock on wood, I just fill the car with gas, change the oil once a year, and drive.

I was thinking of having them do these things:

1. Clutch
2. Motor mounts
3. Replace my shocks, springs and sway bars using a set of all of those I bought from another 40th anniversary that was totaled due to cosmetic damage with only 20K miles

I've heard guys talk about replacing the water pump and AOS.

What recommendations do you all have? I'd like to keep the car stock but I've heard good things about short shift kits. Anything else?

Thanks.

Ted

(FYI - I posted this in the main 996 area, too)
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 01:19 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE
My 40th will turn 85K on the clock when I drive her next (see pic). I only put about 3,500 miles a year on the car. I'm thinking of taking the car to a local indy shop that I've used in the past, which specializes in Porsches of all vintages, to have a series of preventive maintenance items done. I'd like some advice from folks here as to things that they've had done on a preventive basis. I've already had that indy shop proactively replace the IMS with the LN ceramic bearing about 4 years and 15K miles ago. I had the RMS replaced at the same time. I was going to have the clutch replaced, too, but when they took the car apart they told me that the clutch had >50% life left so I left it alone. The alternator crapped out on me about three years ago and I had that replaced. Battery replaced earlier this year. Knock on wood, I just fill the car with gas, change the oil once a year, and drive.

1. Clutch
2. Motor mounts
3. Replace my shocks, springs and sway bars using a set of all of those I bought from another 40th anniversary that was totaled due to cosmetic damage with only 20K miles

What recommendations do you all have? I'd like to keep the car stock but I've heard good things about short shift kits. Anything else?

Thanks.

Ted

While trans is out for clutch indeed do the AOS.
...transmission mount
...transmission fluid
...coil packs
...spark plugs
...oil cooler o rings
Old 09-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Since the original wheels on the 40th are polished and the caps are also, but are limited to the small crest from the factory, here is an optional item we now stock.
These are the larger crest taken from the 991 models so they are much larger than the factory 996 sizing.

This set was polished for an other wheel but it was a great opportunity to show you guys.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Santyorch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE

1. Clutch
2. Motor mounts

Thanks.

Ted

I bought my car 10 months ago. I struggle at the beginning with she just failing to start randomly till I found that the problem was the fuel pump. Other thing that I changed and the improvement was amazing was the starter.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there a specific combo needed to lower the 996 AE? Or can you order the standard Carrera spring/strut or coilover combinations? I believe the AE has PASM so wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:33 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Car looks awesome!

1) Change oil every 6 months regardless of milage
2) Even though you've only got 15k on the IMSB you should change it out in the next two years (50k mi or 6 years whichever comes first)
3) Water pump/Thermostat? Some people say every 3 years - seems a little paranoid to me but who knows. Low temp thermostat is recommended if you don't have one.
4) If your current suspension has 85K on it, I'm sure the ones with 20k will feel better
5) Short shift kit - much better feel than stock -IMO

"While trans is out for clutch indeed do the AOS.
...transmission mount
...transmission fluid
...coil packs
...spark plugs
...oil cooler o rings"

6) Good time to do AOS for sure - as long as you're lowering the engine, may as well replace the mounts as well.
7) Same goes for Transmission mount - you'll need a special tool. If you check the mount and it's not torn or collapsed you may want to consider an insert - beware of NVH though. If you don't want too much go with the yellow or orange (street hardness/softness)
8) Trans fluid for sure - much easier when the transmission is out of the car.
9) Coils/Plugs? Eh, unless you're getting misfires it's certainly not necessary - same goes for injectors...
10) Oil cooler O rings - I wouldn't touch them unless they're leaking.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by e90steve
Is there a specific combo needed to lower the 996 AE? Or can you order the standard Carrera spring/strut or coilover combinations? I believe the AE has PASM so wasn't sure.

Thanks in advance!
PASM came in with the 997 so the AE didn't have it. Sorry don't know the answer to your question.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:00 AM
e90steve
Racer

Sorry PSM which from my understanding all 996 Anniversary Editions have. Does that have an impact on which suspension we can choose from or will standard C2 aftermarket coilover and shock/spring sets still work on the Anniversary Editions?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:12 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by e90steve
Sorry PSM which from my understanding all 996 Anniversary Editions have. Does that have an impact on which suspension we can choose from or will standard C2 aftermarket coilover and shock/spring sets still work on the Anniversary Editions?
The 40th anniversary suspension is the same fitment as any other 996.2 C2 with the m030 sport chassis option.

So in regards to aftermarket parts, yes any aftermarket springs/dampers that fit the 996.2 C2 will fit a 40th.

I've been looking for a set of take-off stock front struts (just the dampers, not the springs) for a science experiment, if you end up replacing your suspension.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM
e90steve
Racer

Tire Rack is saying otherwise regarding the PSS10 on the 40th Anniversary Edition, which is the suspension I would prefer to go with.

See the text in the attachment.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have PSS10 on mine. Installed by PO years ago.

Paul
Old 10-12-2017, 03:42 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

e90Steve, it just says that because the amount of lowering you'll get with a 40th anniversary won't be 35mmF and 25mmR. It'll be less because the 40th is already about 10mm lower.

But, so would any C2 with the m030 option. The 40th was the only "model" that came with that standard.

So yeah, Pss10s definitely will fit, and will look/drive awesome.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
e90steve
Racer

Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by e90steve; 10-19-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:11 PM
e90steve
Racer

Do all 40th's come with the litronic xenon headlights or standard halogen?

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ