Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:04 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Not saying this is what they did but I had this saved on my iPad.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Not saying this is what they did but I had this save in my iPad.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:15 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's really time that Porsche owners get at least basic access to the computers in there. The BMW folks are way ahead.

I'm not talking about replacing the transmission software or control turbo boost from your iPhone.

It is certainly not OK to have some kind of auto-learning system in there that can be reset at the dealer for $$$ and is closed to the user. And in any case, it would be constructive to not just reset those learned values that turned bad, it would be much more useful to collect the bad values, compare to values from cars that stayed good over the same usage period, and then have a deep look. You know, Porsche might actually *fix* the software. There is a radical thought.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:48 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

So if you try the ignition on/off fix as described above, what do you do after the (second one) 15 second interval? Start immediately, or back to off and then normal start whenever you want?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 PM
ettenw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update on my O2 sensor replacement: unfortunately it did not fix the stumble problem. It seemed improved for a day or so, but then back to the usual hesitation/stumble.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ettenw
Update on my O2 sensor replacement: unfortunately it did not fix the stumble problem. It seemed improved for a day or so, but then back to the usual hesitation/stumble.
I'm there with you. It was much improved at first and I was quite happy. But now my stumble seems slightly different but definitely still there. In fact yesterday was one of my worst stumble days. I think on the rainy/humid days it's worse for me.

Next step for me is to do a smoke test to rule out vacuum leaks. Then I'll investigate the throttle body a little more.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Does anyone know if the Throttle Adaptation can be performed by a Porsche Indy shop (with access to Porsche S/W library), or ONLY by a dealership.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Does anyone know if the Throttle Adaptation can be performed by a Porsche Indy shop (with access to Porsche S/W library), or ONLY by a dealership.
Thanks
I sent the above screen on the ignition On/Off procedure to my trusted Porsche Indy (used to work for Porsche at the dealership here in Baton Rouge). I asked him if he was familiar with the this procedure.

His reply to me was:

"Yes the throttle adaptation can be done simply by turning on the car for a few seconds without starting it that's a common procedure.

The torque lost adaptation is more of an missions thing but if it's working that's great."
Old 09-14-2017, 03:58 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by StudGarden
So if you try the ignition on/off fix as described above, what do you do after the (second one) 15 second interval? Start immediately, or back to off and then normal start whenever you want?
Asked me Indy Porsche mechanic about this as well. His answer:

"Either/or. Once you hear it go through the click process, it's done."

Click process is the noise you can hear at the throttle body. He says its not too loud, and can hear better with rear lid open. Which I don't have with my Targa. I'd suggest doing this in a quiet setting if you want to hear the throttle body 'clicking' as a confirmation.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:00 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by vwduud
I sent the above screen on the ignition On/Off procedure to my trusted Porsche Indy (used to work for Porsche at the dealership here in Baton Rouge). I asked him if he was familiar with the this procedure.

His reply to me was:

"Yes the throttle adaptation can be done simply by turning on the car for a few seconds without starting it that's a common procedure.

The torque lost adaptation is more of an missions thing but if it's working that's great."
Thanks for the reply.
I think it's a little more detailed than the reset procedure.
I have gone through the reset numerous times with no noticeable difference.
I'm aware of another system reset performed by the shop computer.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by duxsi
Thanks for the reply.
I think it's a little more detailed than the reset procedure.
I have gone through the reset numerous times with no noticeable difference.
I'm aware of another system reset performed by the shop computer.
Of the 2 items reset, the second 1, "Torque Loss Adaptation" is NOT reset using the key on/off procedure listed above, only the "Throttle Adaptation".

Since the dealership reset both of them on mine, I can't definitively say that one or the other or both were required to correct the stumble issue that I was encountering. Nor can I confirm that they reset Throttle Adaptation with their computer diagnostic equipment or just using the key On/Off method.

The good news is that it seems that the key On/Off is simple enough to do by any of us. If this was the reason for my problem, I immediately noticed 2 things:

1.) First time driving away from the dealership, when picking up the car, the throttle input took just a little more input from my foot to get the car moving. This was only noticed due to muscle memory in my foot when starting from a stop (manual transmission).

2.) My stumble was gone.

So, my suggestion is to try it. Watch for the 2 above possible scenarios to see if you feel any difference.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:13 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

I did the throttle reset using the key on/off procedure. No difference noted.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I did the throttle reset using the key on/off procedure. No difference noted.
Did you hear the throttle body clicking during any part of the process?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:18 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vwduud
Did you hear the throttle body clicking during any part of the process?
I did hear some sounds, but I cannot confirm they originated from the throttle body. I'll try again to confirm.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,613 Posts

20 pages later and I still haven't brought my car in.

Quick Reply: I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"