I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts
Default I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"

So I went into this eyes wide open. Knew about the stumble from this wonderful forum and when I was looking for my 991, I was desperate to avoid it. When I found the car I eventually bought in North Carolina, I even had the dealer send me videos of the car accelerating between 2k and 3k. When I went to pick up my car, the dealer knew what I was worried about and I told him that I would t buy the car if I detected the stumble. To my relief, it wasn't there.

Bought my car with 29,795 miles on it. Drove it home almost 1,300 miles. That was September of 2016. The car now has about 33,500 miles on it. It's been driven every week I've owned it, at least once. Usually 3 - 4 times.

Much of my driving is low speed driving. With the MT, the speeds that I travel puts me in the 2k to 3k range quite a bit. I've never observed anything untoward.

Recently, though, I started noticing something. Something a bit "not smooth". I wasn't sure if it was my driving, the clutch, etc. I've been teaching my wife to drive the clutch so my first thought was that she glazed the flywheel, burnt out the clutch, etc. however she tends to jerkily engage, not ride it, and I've never smelled burnt clutch after she's driven it. I've done several pulls to check for clutch slip and can't detect any.

I thought of the stumble. I've been gently driving in normal and sport between 2k and 3k in second and third, probably a quarter throttle and i can feel it. Ever so slight, there is a brief hesitation / surge right around 2,800 RPM. It's present in second and third. Can't feel it in fourth and can't be sure in first, but it's there.

I'm sick. It's so slight, no dealer is ever going to think it's an issue. But it's there. I can feel it. And in reading the thread on 6 speed, it seems as if there is still no cure.

Anything else it could be? Has anyone just had it appear like this? I know without a doubt it was not there before.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:24 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe the stumble you feel is actually a slipping clutch. My first 911 needed one around 35k miles.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerekS
Maybe the stumble you feel is actually a slipping clutch. My first 911 needed one around 35k miles.
That was my first thought. But it happens under such gentle load, I don't think so. I can roll on at 5k RPM and have zero issues.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

When you have cruise control on in 7th on the freeway at like 70 or something, is there a slight up and down wavering of the RPMs like the car is having to work the throttle just a touch to hold the speed?
Old 06-25-2017, 03:44 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree about the clutch. If you have a problem with moderate pedal pressure, it would be far worse under heavy acceleration. Putting my psychologist hat on, just wondering if you would have detected the hesitation if you weren't looking for it. I can still recall a student in med school who was certain that he had every malady that he studied.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I agree about the clutch. If you have a problem with moderate pedal pressure, it would be far worse under heavy acceleration. Putting my psychologist hat on, just wondering if you would have detected the hesitation if you weren't looking for it. I can still recall a student in med school who was certain that he had every malady that he studied.
That's the thing though; it wasn't there when I was looking for it 9 months ago. Now that I'm not looking for it, it appears.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
When you have cruise control on in 7th on the freeway at like 70 or something, is there a slight up and down wavering of the RPMs like the car is having to work the throttle just a touch to hold the speed?
Not that I could tell. Had it on the highway last night, but honestly I don't get on the highway that much in this car.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
That's the thing though; it wasn't there when I was looking for it 9 months ago. Now that I'm not looking for it, it appears.
That's why I am suspecting the clutch over the stumble. The stumble doesn't come and go, does it? It's just there and never leaves.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:14 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

My stumble started after two years of ownership.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not that I could tell. Had it on the highway last night, but honestly I don't get on the highway that much in this car.
Hmm ok. My understanding was the true stumble occurs even at max throttle like that Cayman video, mine was more of an unsmoothness/wavering at lower throttle settings when my throttle valve was having problems.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerekS
That's why I am suspecting the clutch over the stumble. The stumble doesn't come and go, does it? It's just there and never leaves.
Originally Posted by 9914s
My stumble started after two years of ownership.
Crap. Care to share details?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:49 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts

I've read that it could be a variocam transition phenomenon, bad intake valve or a software issue. Do you have PSE? Someone had an issue with their control module and the PSE. Sounds like dealers don't really have much to offer b/c their diagnostics don't indicate an issue and owners are told that this is just a characteristic of the motor. Some people have had better luck with indy's.

I hate to say it, but if it bothers you this much - you might need consider selling it? Particularly if there is no solution after 4 years of this being reported and dealers indicating that this is normal behavior.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:01 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If it is the dreaded stumble, I have pity on your soul. It will consume you.

4 years in and still no solution for me. There is a rougher hesitation when accelerating with moderate throttle in the 2-3K RPM range, and a more distinct stumble at 2800-3000 which in my opinion is definitely a VarioCam Plus transition point.

The official word from Porsche is that this is "normal". My latest development was taking it to an independent mechanic (who has been rebuilding 911 engines for decades) and he said "that is not normal".
Old 06-25-2017, 05:12 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it...I just give up on using the car like I should be able to. Pulling out of a drive on to a road with traffic coming I now hesitate or wait since I do not know what the car will do when I mash the pedal. 9 out of ten it will not have the power and stumble. between that and the rattles/squeaks I have in my cabin I am over my particular car. I have complained. it was called normal. they did a couple of reflashes that seemed to help for a short bit but its fully back now '14 C2S PDK w 52K miles.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthboy
If it is the dreaded stumble, I have pity on your soul. It will consume you.

4 years in and still no solution for me. There is a rougher hesitation when accelerating with moderate throttle in the 2-3K RPM range, and a more distinct stumble at 2800-3000 which in my opinion is definitely a VarioCam Plus transition point.

The official word from Porsche is that this is "normal". My latest development was taking it to an independent mechanic (who has been rebuilding 911 engines for decades) and he said "that is not normal".
I sure hope it's not.

Originally Posted by mmaturo
I have it...I just give up on using the car like I should be able to. Pulling out of a drive on to a road with traffic coming I now hesitate or wait since I do not know what the car will do when I mash the pedal. 9 out of ten it will not have the power and stumble. between that and the rattles/squeaks I have in my cabin I am over my particular car. I have complained. it was called normal. they did a couple of reflashes that seemed to help for a short bit but its fully back now '14 C2S PDK w 52K miles.

Mine is definitely not that bad. You would never drive it and think there was any point that it lacked power. There is just that slight hiccup. If I mash the gas, it's practically undetectable.

Quick Reply: I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"