Sponsored by:

I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick update.

I've driven the car just under 400 miles since getting it back from the dealer last Friday (9/1/17). Includes, driving 15 miles home from the dealer Friday night, a 340+ mile round trip to Jackson, MS and back on Saturday (mostly 7th gear, cruise control) and my 19 mile, twisty road trip to work this morning. Still feels great. No stumble.

I spoke to my service consultant today to specifically ask what systems were reset. His answer:

1.) Throttle Adaptation
2.) Torque Loss Adaptation

He answered me in an email, after asking his shop foreman for the answer.

I replied back with the following questions. I'll post any response that I get back.

1.) Can Throttle Adaptation and/or Torque Loss Adaptation be disabled to NOT gather the data that it did to cause this "stumble" problem?
2.) If it can't be disabled, what are the driving conditions that can cause the data to be accumulated that eventually causes this "stumble" (e.g. driving in 7th gear, etc.)?
3.) If it can't be disabled, should I expect this "stumble" to come back at some point?
4.) Can I simply request that Throttle Adaptation nor Torque Loss Adaptation BOTH be reset every 10,000 miles when I bring it in for its periodic maintenance?
5.) Has this problem been encountered by enough 991 owners to create an internal service bulletin that either the technicians or your shop foreman are referencing to expedite troubleshooting a reported "stumble"?
6.) If the answer to number 5 is "yes", is Porsche Engineering going to address this and provide a software update that will permanently fix this problem?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:56 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 146 Posts

^^ Hey vw it's you car pdk or manual?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:19 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9914s
^^ Hey vw it's you car pdk or manual?
Manual
Old 09-05-2017, 04:38 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by vwduud
Manual
Cool thanks, I'm going to request those two resets and see what happens.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:32 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Quick update.

I've driven the car just under 400 miles since getting it back from the dealer last Friday (9/1/17). Includes, driving 15 miles home from the dealer Friday night, a 340+ mile round trip to Jackson, MS and back on Saturday (mostly 7th gear, cruise control) and my 19 mile, twisty road trip to work this morning. Still feels great. No stumble.

I spoke to my service consultant today to specifically ask what systems were reset. His answer:

1.) Throttle Adaptation
2.) Torque Loss Adaptation

He answered me in an email, after asking his shop foreman for the answer.
Thanks for the information.
Did they not provide you with a work order when you picked up the car.
They should at least provide you with a copy for your records...
Old 09-06-2017, 03:38 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by duxsi
Thanks for the information.
Did they not provide you with a work order when you picked up the car.
They should at least provide you with a copy for your records...
I agree. Makes me wonder if that was NOT an oversight.

I have yet to hear back on the other questions that I asked. Won't surprise me if I do not get any answers.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:20 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

I agree. Makes me wonder if that was NOT an oversight.

I have yet to hear back on the other questions that I asked. Won't surprise me if I do not get any answers.
You should demand a copy of your work order.
Every time I pick up my car I have to sign the work order - regardless of how mundane the performed work may have been.

Best of luck..
Old 09-06-2017, 04:26 PM
vwduud
Instructor

You should demand a copy of your work order.
Every time I pick up my car I have to sign the work order - regardless of how mundane the performed work may have been.

Best of luck..
Oh, I got a copy of it. Had all of the detail of the problem. But did not note that they reset the 2 items noted in my previous post.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Oh, I got a copy of it. Had all of the detail of the problem. But did not note that they reset the 2 items noted in my previous post.
Strategic omission.. Interesting...
Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Strategic omission.. Interesting...
Exactly.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have asked my service advisor about this and he will be asking the tech specifically about these two things today. I'll let you know what he says!
Old 09-08-2017, 11:32 AM
vwduud
Instructor

It's been a week since getting my car back after having the Throttle Adaptation and Torque Loss Adaptation reset.

The smooth, snappy throttle response makes the car fun to drive as it was when I bought it almost 2 years ago. No more anticipation of a stumble, taking away from the driving experience.

I re-emailed back to my service consultant asking about these software features and the possibility of some future, permanent solution. No response yet.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Just received a reply from the service consultant at my local dealer. This was based on the questions listed below:

1.) Can Throttle Adaptation and/or Torque Loss Adaptation be disabled to NOT gather the data that it did to cause this "stumble" problem?
2.) If it can't be disabled, what are the driving conditions that can cause the data to be accumulated that eventually causes this "stumble" (e.g. driving in 7th gear, etc.)?
3.) If it can't be disabled, should I expect this "stumble" to come back at some point?
4.) Can I simply request that Throttle Adaptation nor Torque Loss Adaptation BOTH be reset every 10,000 miles when I bring it in for its periodic maintenance?
5.) Has this problem been encountered by enough 991 owners to create an internal service bulletin that either the technicians or your shop foreman are referencing to expedite troubleshooting a reported "stumble"?
6.) If the answer to number 5 is "yes", is Porsche Engineering going to address this and provide a software update that will permanently fix this problem?

His reply:

"Hi Mr. Brown,
The collection of data and computer adjustments to the systems involved cannot be disabled. There is no bulletin or campaign available on the subject and we, at the dealer level, do not know of whether or not it is even being discussed as a problem with Porsche. I wish I had a better answer for you about your concern. As far as resetting adaptations, those are able to reset at any time needed. Hopefully the adaptation will not need to be reset too often, but unfortunately at this time that is really all the info I have. Thank you and have a great day!"
Old 09-08-2017, 01:24 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Good info! So if we want these things reset at every service, will that cost extra?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:35 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Good info! So if we want these things reset at every service, will that cost extra?
Seeing as these items were NOT even listed on my service report, I was NOT charged this time.

Is interesting to think if the omission of these service items was simply an oversight or intentional.

Who knows what the future will bring when I request it again. If this is something that they're not electing to keep on the down-low, I'm sure that there's a good chance of a "Porsche tax" be applied eventually.

Quick Reply: I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"