I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Now the price is $139.00??
$123.03 at Advance Auto Parts. That's where I ordered mine from.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

"Plenum" here needs to do a nice video and write up on this subject. His technical skills would be a great help here.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks pfan!! I agree, the arms look like you just got out of a knife fight! HA! But worth it! The techs these days don't change anything unless there is a code, probably don't even look at live fuel trim data or anything.

Originally Posted by pfan
Installed the new O2 sensors this weekend (and yes, it took most of the weekend). Bottom line ........ it feels like a new engine! After 150 miles of rigorous testing, the stumble IS GONE, at least for now. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning who hit the jackpot. Not only is the stumble gone, but the engine feels much smoother throughout the entire operating range.

ChicagoSpeed996: I can't thank you enough for providing the info on this.
I'd all but given up on ever again having a non-stumbling car.

And to PCNA and your dealers:

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·´
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…

Thanks for not lifting a finger to attempt to resolve this issue. (I'll lift mine instead). Four years of not being able to completely enjoy what an amazing car the 991 is. Totally WORTHLESS support. Shameful.

And finally, to those of you who might be considering replacing your O2 sensors: It's an easy job, once you get the rear bumper and airbox off. Then be prepared for a couple of hours trying to figure out how to route the cables. Your hands and forearms will come out looking like you've been in a knife fight.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:50 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
pfan, this is amazing. Now with two data points this is very compelling and I cannot wait to provide a third data point! I'm so happy for you.

Can you provide some details about the installation? Do you think you really needed to remove the rear bumper? I have no problem doing that, but I am just curious if it's really necessary. A few weeks ago I did the engine air filters (so I had to remove the bumper), and did the spark plugs (so I worked around where the O2 sensors actually screw into the exhaust), but I never saw the other end of the O2 sensor wire plug...

The worst part of the bumper removal was just making sure the rear lights were back into position without moving those leveling nuts... so it would be awesome to not deal with that again .
Unfortunately, it appears the bumper, spoiler, and airbox need to come off to access the connector which is just outboard of the dynamic engine mount. Routing the wiring cable down the side of the engine compartment is the real challenge. Good video here detailing removal of bumper and airbox.

It's a pain, but the results were well worth the effort! Best of luck.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:13 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, it appears the bumper, spoiler, and airbox need to come off to access the connector which is just outboard of the dynamic engine mount. Routing the wiring cable down the side of the engine compartment is the real challenge. Good video here detailing removal of bumper and airbox.

It's a pain, but the results were well worth the effort! Best of luck.
My knuckles hurt already looking at that snapshot. I see the O2 connector and the green wire disappearing into the engine. Oh my...

No pain no gain! Gotta do this.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

I think I'm going to cry!!!
ChicagoSpeed - Can I have your babies??

There is actual light at the end of this mother of a tunnel...
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
This is HUGE news and seriously the biggest worthy NEWS ever on these boards if finally solved.

You're not kidding. Only thing bigger would be Dunedin completely solving the GT3 finger follower wear issue.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Installed the new O2 sensors this weekend (and yes, it took most of the weekend). Bottom line ........ it feels like a new engine! After 150 miles of rigorous testing, the stumble IS GONE, at least for now. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning who hit the jackpot. Not only is the stumble gone, but the engine feels much smoother throughout the entire operating range.

ChicagoSpeed996: I can't thank you enough for providing the info on this.
I'd all but given up on ever again having a non-stumbling car.

And to PCNA and your dealers:

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·´
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…

Thanks for not lifting a finger to attempt to resolve this issue. (I'll lift mine instead). Four years of not being able to completely enjoy what an amazing car the 991 is. Totally WORTHLESS support. Shameful.

And finally, to those of you who might be considering replacing your O2 sensors: It's an easy job, once you get the rear bumper and airbox off. Then be prepared for a couple of hours trying to figure out how to route the cables. Your hands and forearms will come out looking like you've been in a knife fight.
This is incredible news. So excited to change these out on mine.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
You're not kidding. Only thing bigger would be Dunedin completely solving the GT3 finger follower wear issue.
Uhh but stumble is "normal" so if you unstumble it, it's broken?!?
The following users liked this post:
GA Skin Doc (05-07-2020)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Point of reference: Today my local Porsche dealer quoted me $850 for the labor alone (5 hours) for swapping out both O2 sensors. Figure $500+ more for the two sensors at dealer prices.

I plan to do my own, but this is just for anyone else without the inclination for a DIY solution.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yeah, the wear issue seems to be an inherent design flaw. This "stumble" issue is something these useless techs who only know how to read codes should have been able to figure out.

This "normal" behavior as noted by some regional Porsche reps is such a joke. They should be embarrassed of themselves.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 PM
ettenw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a 2016 981S that's had the problem since day 1. I'll be trying the O2 fix, but this (and PCNA's lousy customer service) makes me wonder if there isn't an emission issue here. After diesel-gate I wouldn't put anything past these guys. Anyone have the ability to do an actual emissions test like the one that identified the diesel cheaters?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
These guys are $114.00

Amazing the mark ups on these parts. Some dealers getting almost $300.00

What a joke.

http://www.importecwarehouse.com/mob...101-SF-14.htm=

Attachment 1188948
thanks STG! will this work on a 991.1 GTS also?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
thanks STG! will this work on a 991.1 GTS also?
I assume so?? I just searched the part # mentioned earlier. I'll check with Sunset Porsche Parts sometime. Someone should check with Luke there. He can search your specific car by VIN #.

Luke Rogers
Porsche Parts Consultant
Toll Free: 800.346.0182
Office: 503.644.2012 option 2
LukeRogers@sunsetimports.com

Sunset Porsche
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ettenw
I've got a 2016 981S that's had the problem since day 1. I'll be trying the O2 fix, but this (and PCNA's lousy customer service) makes me wonder if there isn't an emission issue here. After diesel-gate I wouldn't put anything past these guys.
You bring up an excellent point. My stumble was also from around day 1. I've always been curious as to why Porsche absolutely refuses to even acknowledge the problem. Hmmm.

Quick Reply: I'm sick...think my car is developing "The Stumble"