Sponsored By:

Question about replacing wheel lug bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:22 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly
I guess I am going to have a different take.... It appears that all you are doing is swapping out the bolts and I can't imagine that if one bolt is removed that it impacts the way the wheel is held in place in any way whatsoever .... So, it seems to me that if you took out one old bolt and replaced it with a new one and then repeated that process around the wheel that you are going to cause any problems -- I guess I would do it in an alternate bolt approach but I am not sure that is even necessary....

Now if you are ALSO swapping wheels then obviously this approach would not work
+1. Mechanically the rim wont move as 4 bolts with 100ft-lb of tension is keeping the rim secured to the hub. No mechanical separation or relaxation. Center of rim is fully supported by hub and stiffness is such that there wont be any deflection. So go one bolt at the time in star pattern. No reason to jack up car.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Greatly appreciate all the helpful responses!

In the end I got ambitious and jacked up the vehicle anyway to remove the front wheels in order to go ahead and clean out the cowl drains. They were draining fine but had quite a bit of debris in them actually. All clean now.

But I have no doubt based on the responses here that I could have replaced the bolts one at a time with the vehicle on the ground without harming anything . The new black set looks great!

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
In the end I got ambitious and jacked up the vehicle anyway to remove the front wheels in order to go ahead and clean out the cowl drains. They were draining fine but had quite a bit of debris in them actually. All clean now.
The hot setup for the cowl drains is to actually remove the rubber piece entirely. I believe there is even a Porsche SIB that suggests this.. You can do it with the wheels on - I was going to - and when I got in there I found it had already been done.. (and very little crap around the nice open hole..)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The hot setup for the cowl drains is to actually remove the rubber piece entirely. I believe there is even a Porsche SIB that suggests this.. You can do it with the wheels on - I was going to - and when I got in there I found it had already been done.. (and very little crap around the nice open hole..)
Yup, pulled my rubber pieces and all this junk came out of the Driver's side one. Since I don't cross rivers in my Cayenne, I'll be leaving them off.

Junk peeking out of the hole where the drain grommet goes

Debris that came out of that hole with a bit of coaxing
Old 08-26-2017, 01:48 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Interesting, good to know about removing the rubber pieces completely. My driver's side one looked like it had previously been trimmed a bit so it was more open.

So I trimmed the passenger side one the same way. Next time I'm in there I may just go ahead and remove them all together based on the info you've provided.

My AC drains are draining fine (front & rear - 4 zone).

How about the rocker panel drains? Any need to check/clean those on a 958? I removed and checked them on my 957 CTT once. Not sure if the 958 is the same setup and in need of any occasional cleaning? I've never looked.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:36 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,027 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by cdog533
Loosen the lugs on all 4 wheels.

Jack up one wheel (say driver's rear).

Remove all lugs and swap wheels.

Put lugs back in and tighten until fully seated (as stated in post above).

Drop vehicle and tighten with torque wrench. I think the torque spec is 118 ft-lbs. but I usually do 120 just in case my wrench is off or something.

Repeat on remaining wheels.

I would recommend that you use some of the lug nut sockets that have a protective plastic coating so they don't scuff the wheels.
Can someone confirm that TQ specs on wheel bolts is 118-120?

not that I dont trust the poster, just double checking..

thank you
Old 01-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
Can someone confirm that TQ specs on wheel bolts is 118-120?

not that I dont trust the poster, just double checking..

thank you
Spec used to be 96 ft. lbs, but was retroactively changed to 118 ft. lbs. a few years ago. Anything in the 110-118 range should be fine.

Quick Reply: Question about replacing wheel lug bolts