Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
Is there a way to confirm 40th Anniversary using a VIN code or option code? I found a car for sale which has the center console silver, instrument trim, side skirts and turbo front, but the badges on center dash, and rear deck are missing. Black later model wheels, not 40th polished. Either a modified 40th, or an incomplete knockoff. If it is the latter, curious why the fake upgrade was not complete with badges...
If you're talking about the one in Chicago, it's a true 40AE but there are problems with it from what I've heard. You can tell it's authentic by the interior leather. Check out http://www.40jahre911.com/
Old 08-20-2017, 06:18 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there a way to confirm 40th Anniversary using a VIN code or option code? I found a car for sale which has the center console silver, instrument trim, side skirts and turbo front, but the badges on center dash, and rear deck are missing. Black later model wheels, not 40th polished. Either a modified 40th, or an incomplete knockoff. If it is the latter, curious why the fake upgrade was not complete with badges...
Just enter the vin here: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Porsche

It will tell you if it is a 40th.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC
Yes. I haven't been able to get down to Atlanta and haven't seen the car. If you are pursuing it, I'll back off. No reason making the sales guy think he has competing prospects.

The sales guy confirmed it has one key and owner's manual. He somewhat acknowledged that he was aware of the IMS issue. I didn't mention the 40th anniversary spec and he didn't emphasize that. Price is competitive if it checks out mechanically. I sort of assumed a quick $5-6k of refreshing (including IMS/RMS/clutch, all fluids, and whatever else may have been neglected.

If you choose not to bite on this one, I'd appreciate knowing your observations.
Originally Posted by b3freak
I was interested in it until I looked at the CarFax (see attached). I'm not going to buy another wrecked sports car, especially a Porsche 911. I'm not saying that's a bad thing to do, but it's risky especially if you want to sell the car down the road. Plus, this car has little or no evidence that it's been properly maintained. Normally, you have many entrees were the car was taken in for oil changes or scheduled maintenance. This one has nothing! I wouldn't buy this car unless a retable Porsche shop did a thorough PPI on it. You may be looking at lots of $$$ to get things ironed out. Overall, the car looks to be in fairly good cosmetic shape, but if you look closely, you'll notice both of the headlight enclosures have oxidation. That's a indicator that it was parked outside in Florida sunshine. Shame. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 ft. pole. IMHO of course.

Lol, i just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd contribute. I contacted the dealer on this one last week and made a cash offer of $22k and he did not accept. Said $23k and change was the bottom line. $1400 would go a long ways towards preventative maintenance that i have to asume has not been done given the lack of service history. I also hate that the photos on the dealer site are totally photoshopped... always makes me wonder.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:54 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default I can help

Shoot me the VIN and I can tell you if it's a 40th and likely some other info, too. You can PM me here but it's easier by email - 40jahre911@gmail.com.

Ted
Old 08-20-2017, 06:58 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
If you're talking about the one in Chicago, it's a true 40AE but there are problems with it from what I've heard. You can tell it's authentic by the interior leather. Check out http://www.40jahre911.com/
If it is in fact that one in Chicago that's missing its numbered plaque you should search on the postings of leon yagudayev here on RL - he bought it and had tons of trouble with it so he got rid of it.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE
If it is in fact that one in Chicago that's missing its numbered plaque you should search on the postings of leon yagudayev here on RL - he bought it and had tons of trouble with it so he got rid of it.
This is the VIN of Leon's "problem" car -

Quote:
What's the VIN and 40th AE # - maybe help some RL member from buying.
Vin is WP0AA29924S621068, it was missing AE edition both badges so I don't have the number for AE
Old 08-20-2017, 10:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
Lol, i just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd contribute. I contacted the dealer on this one last week and made a cash offer of $22k and he did not accept. Said $23k and change was the bottom line. $1400 would go a long ways towards preventative maintenance that i have to asume has not been done given the lack of service history. I also hate that the photos on the dealer site are totally photoshopped... always makes me wonder.
I assume $23,000 is *plus* tax, tag, title, and doc fees?

That could bring the sale to $25K. (see Ga tax below)

Overall, basically what you have here is a very exclusive 996 car that has been in two (maybe three) accidents and has little or no proof of preventive and regular maintenance. You should estimate at least another $5,000 - $6,000 to get it to where it needs to be mechanically, but of course, if you take it to top notch shop like Flat 6 Innovations, they're going to crack it open and do a preevaluation. If it doesn't pass, then what next? Again, the safest path is a thorough PPI. But it looks like it won't help with the price since the dealer has apparently drawn the line in the sand. However, it will reveal the good, bad, and ugly on this car.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I assume $23,000 is *plus* tax, tag, title, and doc fees?

That could bring the sale to $25K. (see Ga tax below)

Overall, basically what you have here is a very exclusive 996 car that has been in two (maybe three) accidents and has little or no proof of preventive and regular maintenance. You should estimate at least another $5,000 - $6,000 to get it to where it needs to be mechanically, but of course, if you take it to top notch shop like Flat 6 Innovations, they're going to crack it open and do a preevaluation. If it doesn't pass, then what next? Again, the safest path is a thorough PPI. But it looks like it won't help with the price since the dealer has apparently drawn the line in the sand. However, it will reveal the good, bad, and ugly on this car.
Everything but local tax, which at nearly 10% local tax.... yep, $25k. My plan was to schedule a PPI, drive down for a test spin and then drop it off for inspection. Love the options (not to mention the added hp) of the 40AE, but I'm not hot after one, so I'll let someone that wants it more have at it.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I was following this one and had a brief talk with the sales guy. I bowed out so e90steve could pursue without conflict. Interestingly, I had a call from the sales guy (Edward?) this afternoon. Was in midst of eclipse on the Blue Ridge Parkway so will call later. Wonder if they are getting the message that this is a problem car.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:52 PM
e90steve
Racer

I PPI'd this car. It was confirmed that it has an OIL leak from the AOS and what the guy said was an "accumulation" at the RMS/IMS where the transmission meets the engine. He wouldn't classify it as a leak yet, but said there is a reason why there is "sludge" accumulating at that point. His recommendation was the works. AOS, IMS, RMS and 75k service to the tune of 5-6k. Also tires are dry rotted, which tells me someone realized the extent of service the car needed and parked it.

I still might buy the car, but am considering the options with the investment required to get it where it needs to be.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e90steve
I PPI'd this car. It was confirmed that it has an OIL leak from the AOS and what the guy said was an "accumulation" at the RMS/IMS where the transmission meets the engine. He wouldn't classify it as a leak yet, but said there is a reason why there is "sludge" accumulating at that point. His recommendation was the works. AOS, IMS, RMS and 75k service to the tune of 5-6k. Also tires are dry rotted, which tells me someone realized the extent of service the car needed and parked it.

I still might buy the car, but am considering the options with the investment required to get it where it needs to be.
But then you're looking at $30k for a two-accident car with north of 70k miles. There are plenty more AE's out there with a better pedigree and less warts. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM
e90steve
Racer

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
But then you're looking at $30k for a two-accident car with north of 70k miles. There are plenty more AE's out there with a better pedigree and less warts. Just my $0.02.
I hear ya, but would be solid with 5k put into it. I called over today after I finally got the blessing from the wife and it was too late. Deposit taken by someone else. It will be a great driver for someone who doesn't mind the carfax which... no one will ever see riding down the road. These 40th's are great cars, what a 911 should be. Maybe there's one in the cards for me down the road, but pretty deflated at the moment. My own fault.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Steve,

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that one. I see the 40th AE models pop up all the time. This may be a blessing in disguise. Keep looking and another one will show up on eBay, AutoTrader, and others.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 962 Posts

PCA.org has three low mile, what appear to be nice examples of AE cars for sale.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:37 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
PCA.org has three low mile, what appear to be nice examples of AE cars for sale.
Actually there are four for sale there...

Just a reminder since there have been several folks on this thread lately looking for a 40AE - the list of 40ths for sale can be found on the Registry website (link below) or the Registry FB page. They're separated by country to make it easier to find one in your area. If you know of one that is for sale but not listed please PM me or email me at 40jahre911@gmail.com. Thanks. Ted

http://www.40jahre911.com/40-jahre-911-listed-for-sale

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ