Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Lots of anonyballs on the Internet forums, I wonder how much time sticky spends going "oh this is the tired and slow one", "this is the McLaren that just says you can't afford a P1", "XYZ car is faster so you must be embarrassed to bring that slow 250 GTO here" at cars and coffee events.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:48 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Name:  h7zbPYa.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  70.2 KB

Originally Posted by sticky
I appreciate your invite. I'll extend one as well. You are more than welcome to come to any roll on events I host and see how horribly outclassed your 991.1 is.
Sounds fun! What server?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

My dog's "I don't care whether it is NA or turbocharged, as long as I get the front seat" look.

I'm a 3.8 L 430 hp NA guy but I don't think you can go wrong with either NA or turbo 911s - different strokes for different folks!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Sounds fun! What server?
That is the strangest dog I have ever seen.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Lots of anonyballs on the Internet forums, I wonder how much time sticky spends going "oh this is the tired and slow one", "this is the McLaren that just says you can't afford a P1", "XYZ car is faster so you must be embarrassed to bring that slow 250 GTO here" at cars and coffee events.
More often and to more fanfare than you realize.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Anyone that states they feel no lag doesn't know what lag is.
Agreed. The .2 is a great car, but it definitely has the non-linear throttle response of a turbo car.

Stupid debate though. Both are great cars. Funny, though, to hear people call a 400 hp car that does 0-60 in 3.7 - 3.8 seconds underpowered...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The good news is, eventually as newer cars come out those people will move on and we'll be left with people who appreciate the .2 for the things that are really worth talking about like the suspension updates.
My goodness what a connoisseur. I didn't realize we had Walter Rohrl among us.

I like that the 991.2 is bringing in a younger and more enthusiastic crowd. The air is a bit stuffy from the guys living in the past.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

My goodness what a connoisseur. I didn't realize we had Walter Rohrl among us.

I like that the 991.2 is bringing in a younger and more enthusiastic crowd. The air is a bit stuffy from the guys living in the past.
Wow. Just wow.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Because of the way you seem to thoroughly enjoy your own mental masturbation, it has become evident why you call yourself "sticky".
Old 08-21-2017, 12:21 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

You know what is funny? A bunch of grown *** rich guys fighting like five year olds over my car is better than your car...
please - can't we all just agree we own the best generation 911(the newest) and recognize that most people would kill to own the cars we do!?!?!?

i can't believe what I read here lol..
Old 08-21-2017, 12:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Because of the way you seem to thoroughly enjoy your own mental masturbation, it has become evident why you call yourself "sticky".
When you're ready to actually try to refute an argument I'll be here. It's safer to try to attack the messenger of course.

Nice Targa. Heavy but beautiful.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I don’t have the 3.0 turbo but I’ll speak about my experience in general with the 3.8 turbo. As a naturally aspirated lover myself, I recently traded my 991 4GTS for a 991.1 Turbo S. In terms of throttle response, while the GTS was really good, it did not feel nearly as sharp as the response in my E92M before that with 8 ITBs. The GTS’s response felt notably slower which was one of my earliest observations after moving on from the M. So for a naturally aspirated car, my GTS’s throttle response did not blow me away like with the M. With the Turbo S, once I’m above 3k, I feel like the throttle response is better than in my GTS. Maybe it’s just seat perception but it feels closer to my M. Could also be other factors too like PDK vs. 7MT. In any case, I do not believe it is slower than the GTS. Throttle response should not be confused with turbo lag. Yes, under 2300 rpms or so, there is a big wait for it moment before the rush comes if you mash the pedal and want a big surge in power. But when driving spiritedly, this is irrelevant since I’m never in that range.

Another point about the 991 Turbo motor is that you have to apply the throttle pretty liberally for the boost to come on. So if you modulate the throttle so there’s no boost, it still exhibits N/A like characteristics. You can give it a fair amount of throttle too before any boost arrives. I’ve been experimenting with this using the boost gauge. It's just hard to do because the power is so much fun and doing that takes some will power. But once above 3k rpm, even when the boost does come on, it's very linear. Yeah, it does sound like an angry vacuum but an angry vacuum can also sound pretty damn good! And the sound is much more muted, like being under water or listening to a symphony behind a closed door.

Also, no way the 991.1 NA is under powered or dated by any stretch, no way. It has a wonderful balance of usable power.
No way does your Turbo sound like an angry vacuum. I recently had the dubious pleasure of trying to keep up with it for 4 hours and was enjoying the aural notes it was producing.
I think the large displacement 3.8L motor does make a huge difference in the sound department. I have an ear for good music, heck we both do!
The plebeian oh-so-common 3.0 however has no sound, that's the problem. May be fast but not exciting. A good application for those that want a fast, quiet Porsche.

Sticky is seriously messed up in the head to refer to a 991.1 GTS making 430HP as "severely underpowered" talk about losing credibility...then again none was to be had from the get go...
Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Can we see some more dog pics?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
The plebeian oh-so-common 3.0 however has no sound, that's the problem. May be fast but not exciting
So if it goes round corners faster because of rear axle steering and better suspension, provides more feed back and accuracy through better steering, accelerates harder due to a more responsive engine and stops more quickly more often because of better brakes ......then its less exciting than the previous version. OK got it

"has no sound" and "plebeian" for reference at WOT, the Turbo S and 991.2S emit roughly the same amount of noise ~86 dBA (Car and Driver). BTW the threshold for hearing damage due to prolonged exposure is about 85dBA. Thats why I wear ear plugs during sprints and track days.

OK.........more dog pics please.

Last edited by randr; 08-21-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo